1. That can't be right? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A buddy of mine tells me that the VED rates will e going up next year, seems that unless you're running a car solely off a battery {or an elastic band} there won't be any zero rates, they will be going up to £140 year, that might not be welcome news to the ULEV drivers but it seems that the first year rates will go up from £500 to around £900 for an Audi A6 or the like, but after the first year the rate will drop down to what will be an across the board rate for all non zero cars of £140.

Anyone heard about this, if I've got it right it seems odd that most ULEV's will go from zero to 140 {in 12 months ;-) seems about right} but the cars that pollute the most like my 3.2 Quattro will drop from £500 to £140 ?

0 0 0

2. Re: That can't be right ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The new rules apply to new cars reg'd after April 2017, the only drivers that will be affected are those that purchase new vehicles after that date, your mate has given you bum info I'm afraid, you'll still be paying a nice little surcharge for that polluter of yours

New VED road tax: buy now or after the 2017 UK car tax changes? | Auto Express

Current (pre-April 2017) vehicle VED tax bands: table

VED tax bands: April 2017 onwards: table
    VED car tax bands for cars first registered from 2017 onwards
    CO2 Emissions in g/km (tax band) First year rate Standard rate
    0 £0 £0
    1-50 £10 £140
    51-75 £25
    76-90 £100
    91-100 £120
    101-110 £140
    111-130 £160
    131-150 £200
    151-170 £500
    171-190 £800
    191-225 £1,200
    226-255 £1,700
    Over 255 £2,000
    Cars above £40,000 pay £310 annual supplement for five years

VED tax bands: April 2017 onwards: table

Current (pre-April 2017) vehicle VED tax bands: table
    CO2 Emissions in g/km (tax band) First year rate Annual rate
    Up to 100 (A) £0 £0
    101-110 (B) £0 £20
    111-120 (C) £0 £30
    121-130 (D) £0 £110
    131-140 (E) £130 £130
    141-150 (F) £145 £145
    151-165 (G) £180 £180
    166-175 (H) £295 £205
    176-185 (I) £350 £225
    186-200 (J) £490 £265
    201-225 (K) £640 £290
    226-255 (L) £870 £490
    Over 255 (M) £1,100 £505

Quote Originally Posted by autoexpress
    What do 2017 road tax changes mean for cars already registered? Current road tax bands won’t change for cars that are already registered, so the existing VED bands will remain in place - meaning cars registered before April 2017 will continue to pay the current VED rates even after the new VED bands come into force. Fortunately for owners, the existing rates for CO2 bands are much more favourable to lower-polluting vehicles.

2 0 0

3. Re: That can't be right ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Eshrules,

Thanks for the clarification, as to my buddy giving me duff info, it's more likely that I wasn't taking it in correctly, it's easier when it's in black and white {as you put it}.

If I'm reading that right if I trade the old A6 in for a new A6 after April 1st 2017 I'd be paying £870 for the first years VED :-( no wonder they call it Fools Day.

Talk about double dipping folks, aren't drivers of bigger cars already paying more tax {mile for mile} to the Government than a car that's getting 50 or more mpg ?

No wonder all the MP's and the like are driving about in Toyota Yaris's :-(

0 0 0

4. Re: That can't be right ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada Bob View Post
    Talk about double dipping folks, aren't drivers of bigger cars already paying more tax {mile for mile} to the Government than a car that's getting 50 or more mpg ?
    Well, it's not been a tax for decades but yes, bigger vehicles pay more VED, heavier polluters the same - quite rightly imho. If you choose to have a large vehicle that's a heavy polluter, I believe you should pay more VED than someone who's chosen to drive a smaller, lesser polluting vehicle.

And when our gov't deliver on their promise of a dedicated road repair fund, funded exclusively by all VED collected by the 'end of the decade' it'll be a much fairer system imho.

The cynic in me suspects it's one promise that will be backtracked on at some point in the not-so-distant future but hey.

0 0 0

5. Re: That can't be right ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Governments & Promises hey, it's a bit like getting married, lots of expectations and "promises" when we buy into it, but it's often downhill after that.

As for the pollution, you might imagine my chagrin when the day after I'd paid my 500 quid VED I was waiting to get on a double deck diesel bus and glancing at the Tax disk on the bus I noticed it was £350 {or so}, how the hell can that be, a diesel bus is considered less polluting than my A6, not to mention the bus runs for 12 or more hours a day, I run the A6 for maybe an hour a day, how does that work !

As for choosing a larger vehicle, aren't drivers of these vehicles paying considerably more {mile for mile} to the Government via the 58p per liter Fuel Tax PLUS the 20% VAT approx 70p per liters in Tax alone. I know it's an old chestnut but wouldn't "road tax" be more fairly charged if it was rolled into the Fuel Tax ? ie the more you use the roads the more you pay, but we won't get into that, it's been kicked around for generations, but...

Having just returned from Canada I'm reminded again that in the UK we are paying getting on for double the price for petrol than it is in Canada, see the link below ?

Canada gasoline prices, 25-Jul-2016 | GlobalPetrolPrices.com

Gasoline prices: We show prices for Canada from 18-Apr-2016 to 25-Jul-2016. The average value for Canada during that period was 0.68 U.K. Pound Sterling with a minimum of 0.66 U.K. Pound Sterling on 18-Apr-2016 and a maximum of 0.71 U.K. Pound Sterling on 13-Jun-2016. For comparison, the average price of gasoline in the world for this period is 0.87 U.K. Pound Sterling .

What I find odd is that Canada has approx 1 Million miles of roads stretching across 5.5 time zones, in the UK we have around a 1/4 Million miles of roads. The roads in Canada are subject to more extreme conditions than UK roads, often -50C in winter, but the roads in Canada don't have as many pot holes etc {per mile} as we have in the UK.

Add to that the cost of maintaining and repairing the roads in Canada is borne by a lot less drivers, add to that there's no Road Tax / VED as such, you get a licence plate sticker each year and that costs around £50 {in Ontario, less in other places} no matter what type of car you drive, so...

So how can they do more from less income ? they get less tax from the fuel and less tax from plating the vehicle yet they look after 4 times more roads {often in severe weather} than we have in the UK, where's the money that we pay in going ?

0 0 0

6. Re: That can't be right ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    The new tax rate is also dependent on car cost. Over 40k and you pay an additional £310 per annum for 5 years.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

7. Re: That can't be right ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshrules View Post
    Well, it's not been a tax for decades...
    That's exactly what it is - a tax. You can call a tax a duty if you like, but it's just an exercise in semantics. Vehicle excise duty is a tax, as are fuel duty, stamp duty and the duty on Pot Noodles. In the government coffer context, a levy is the same thing too.

There hasn't been a ring-fenced 'road tax' - ring-fenced in terms of the proceeds being spent exclusively on maintaining the roads - since its abolition in 1937. It was introduced in 1909, the year in which, coincidentally, the vehicle per road mile ratio in the UK was the same as what it is in Canada today*

Since 1937 all the different taxes - or duties, or levies - have gone into the same giant pot which pays for the NHS, state welfare in all its forms, state education, the UK's nuclear deterrent, foreign aid, HS2 and the vastly inflated and wholly unjustifiable wages of local authority chief executives.

Until there is some kind of ring-fencing for road improvements (and it doesn't look at all likely), the situation will continue with the shovelful of hot tar and a quick chunter over with the Bomag kind of approach when enough people get fed up with breaking their suspension on or cycling into unseen potholes.

As long as the demands on the state's purse exceed its capacity to pay them - and as long as the NHS remains a bottomless pit - fixing the road network properly comes a long, long way down the list of priorities.

The other thing that makes a difference is that it's all too easy for a cash-strapped government (of whatever persuasion) to kick spending decisions into the long grass on the basis that there's every chance of it being somebody else's problem a few years down the road...

* this part may not be true

0 0 0

8. Re: That can't be right ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Phutters, I can't argue with any of your comments, I guess we are back to the fact that "People get the Governments they deserve".

0 0 0

9. Re: That can't be right ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phutters View Post
    That's exactly what it is - a tax. You can call a tax a duty if you like, but it's just an exercise in semantics. Vehicle excise duty is a tax, as are fuel duty, stamp duty and the duty on Pot Noodles. In the government coffer context, a levy is the same thing too..
    If we're being pedantic, it's a stealth tax - a tax in all but its name.

Anybody who eats a pot noodle ought to pay a stupidity tax.

0 0 0