1. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I might be a bit nuts as I have been thinking to do the Mr. Muscle treatment . I have specially looked for info why not to do it but so far I haven't found such. It is very alkaline (sodium hydroxide) and caustic to aluminium so you have to be careful with cylinder head and get the stuff to the right place but other metals and ceramics can tolerate it just fine. DPF has been my main concern as it will get heavy load of carbon deposits. It might have to do couple extra regenerations but I don't see why it couldn't burn them off and at the same time vaporize off the remains of Mr. Muscle.

Sorry for going off topic and excellent writing from turbo change B5NUT and I might need those instructions after my possible trial .

0 0 0

2. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I haven't and wouldn't do a 'Mr Muscle' , I think there's a good chance you end up damaging the piston ring type shaft oil seal at the back of the turbine wheel and end up filling the exhaust / DPF / etc with oil and that will cost you more to fix than a recon turbo would have and you'd still have to replace the turbo any way. Not convinced your DPF will handle a slug of sodium hydroxide / carbon crud either. The VNT mechanism that sticks is behind the turbine wheel backplate and I'm not sure how effectively the carbon can get out of there anyway with Mr Muscle without physically removing it.
    I'm sure there are those here that will testify Mr Muscle worked fine and no problems but a big risk IMO.

1 0 0

3. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Think you would need to be nuts to put a caustic solution like mr muscle into your turbo, and then all of the mr muscle & some of the dirt that may have been removed goes straight into your DPF. I would avoid at all costs.

I've just replaced my turbo, as it had done 200K miles and the engine felt a bit down on power, so I just had my turbo refurbished and a new actuator was fitted by the company. If your buying a turbo with actuator already fitted then you don't need an "Audi programming" as it will have already been done and is stored on the actuator. I replaced my turbo at home and the car has been been running file and the power appears to be back to normal.
    So yours had 200k on the original turbo on a 3.0 tdi? That's very impressive. I'd heard that that 3.0 tdi had a good quality strong turbo but didn't know they would last that long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Yes 200K miles, the engine was down a little on power and the company said the actuator was not in the best of conditions when they stripped it down.

0 1 0

5. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Tank you for that B5Nut, however when I contacted the vendor in Germany who are selling a brand new Borg Warner KKK turbo for around €719, they advised that the actuator will have to be programmed by an Audi garage before it will work correctly, which is what my local VW garage said, but they will only do it when it is them who supply the turbo which at €1800 for the same unit in my view is plain extortion. There seems to be no play on the main turbo shaft so the problem is likely to be with either the actuator motor or the boost vanes but VW Audi will not replace parts they will only replace the complete turbo. It seems that it is people like me who have owned Audis since 1979 are the ones having to foot the bill for the billions being given to the US in compensation to the fuel consumption fiasco. In the short term I plan on using fuel additive which may clean the vanes if they are a bit clogged, but apart from that I am not sure what I will do.

0 0 0

6. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Give these guy's a ring, they fully program the turbo, and there is a label on the turbo stating the actuator must not be removed as it's programmed for the turbo it's mounted on.

Remanufactured Turbochargers - new,repairs,

Price wise you looking at around £500 if you send back your old unit. Understand there will be shipping costs, but with the £ to Euro exchange rate at the moment it's not a bad price. I've had my turbo in my car for a couple of months now and the car drives fine, no fault codes and no VCDS coding was required.

1 0 0

7. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have sent them an email, did they supply new gaskets or did you have to buy them separately?

0 0 0

8. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    They did supply some gaskets but others I just from Audi

0 0 0

9. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have had a couple of emails from Neil Leighton at turbo solutions in Darlington who seems to feel that if a turbo is supplied complete it does not need programming, it should set itself when you turn on the ignition which is contrary to other advice I have received. It seems I know less about turbos than just about everyone else. I wonder if the same Borg-Warner KKK turbo is used on a number of different vehicles, the boost level has to be adjusted accordingly so B5NUT when your turbo was sent for refurbishment, the actuator was already set at the correct level, but if I was to buy a new one it would have to be set to give the correct boost for 233 bhp?

0 0 0

10. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    The actuator was replace as the old was in a poor state (internals) the shaft had some scoring so that was replace the the main body was was shot blasted and cleaned up, cannot remember about the other internals but I think some were replaced.

As I said there was a sticker on the turbo (wish I'd got a pic now) stating the actuator had been programmed for the turbo and it should not be removed, remember they have to be programmed as turbo solution fully test the turbo before it is returned to the customer. All I can say is the turbo i received back was plug and play.

There was also a member on another forum I go on who had this turbo fail as had to be a complete replacement, he also replaced that at home with no special tools or programming. Have sent you a PM with that thread, as I don't think the mods like linking to other VW/Audi forums.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast