Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTM View Post
    "All looks pretty clean ? In fact the only very clogged part was the "nostrils" inside the big pipe, which were completely blocked - pouring something down the small pipe didn't appear at the nostrils at all"

Thank you for this thread, I think, that's the pipe I talked about earlier.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro

1 0 0

2. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C6Allroad View Post
    Symptomatic of a sticky EGR valve that is not closing fast enough.
    Would not a sticky EGR generate a fault code?

0 0 0

3. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    No idea - just going on the symptoms. A stuck open/closed EGR would but a sticky one that is slow to actuate..........?
    2011 A6 Allroad 3.0TDI

0 0 0

4. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hello, The problem has continued and if anything has got worse. Today I took the car to my local VW garage, they say that I need a new turbo, the problem they say is with the actuated progressive vanes behind the turbo proper, they are not working properly. They say that I must buy a turbo unit complete and it has to be set up by very specific electronic equipment only available from Audi, which as a VW dealer they have access to. I would appreciate advice as I have seen new turbo advertised for less thsn €1000,

thanks, Michael

0 0 0

5. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Michael,

Are you running a kosher VCDS, or a cloned or lite variant?

As anything like the symptoms you're experiencing will show as a fault.

Just some other things to check, air filter/oil filter/fuel filter, when were these last changed?
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 0 0

6. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I did reply yesterday but it does not appear to have been posted. When the vcds 12.12 has been used before, it has always shown stored faults if they were there. There are no stored faults at the moment. I gave the car an oil change last week with all filters, oil, air, diesel and cabin.

0 0 0

7. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhobson View Post
    I did reply yesterday but it does not appear to have been posted. When the vcds 12.12 has been used before, it has always shown stored faults if they were there. There are no stored faults at the moment. I gave the car an oil change last week with all filters, oil, air, diesel and cabin.
    VCDS is on version 16.8.0, so the answer is no you've not used an up-to-date or kosher one
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 0 0

8. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it is sticky turbo vanes, then you could try Mr. Muscle treatment before dropping big bucks for new turbo. Run Google with "Mr. Muscle turbo clean" and you will find plenty of instructions and discussions about it. I haven't done it nor everybody approves it but generally it seems to work.

0 0 0

9. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hello, Yes I had a look at that and it seems quite interesting but I have reservations about possible damage to other parts of the engine which might ensue after using such powerful and possibly corrosive detergents, had I been a sharp geezer after moving the car on quickly I may have tried it but I hope to keep the car as long as possible.

I have found a new Borg Warner KKK turbo for a price less than half the price charged by Audi but the issue seems to be programming the actuator, when the turbo is fitted I have been told that the actuator has to be programmed before the turbo will work correctly but the electronic equipment necessary to do that is held only by Audi, and unless they supply the turbo they will not progran the actuator, I wonder is there no way around this issue? It seems a real con, surely there must be some way around it?

1 0 0

10. Re: 3.0 tdi throttle pause 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Think you would need to be nuts to put a caustic solution like mr muscle into your turbo, and then all of the mr muscle & some of the dirt that may have been removed goes straight into your DPF. I would avoid at all costs.

I've just replaced my turbo, as it had done 200K miles and the engine felt a bit down on power, so I just had my turbo refurbished and a new actuator was fitted by the company. If your buying a turbo with actuator already fitted then you don't need an "Audi programming" as it will have already been done and is stored on the actuator. I replaced my turbo at home and the car has been been running file and the power appears to be back to normal.

Here are a few pics and info when I replaced my turbo.

Remove the air inlet pipe & oil feed pipe to the turbo before starting. First the 3 bolts holding the exhaust side was removed

Then the 3 bolts to the exhaust manifold.

Then the two bolts holding the turbo mount to the engine, one is just below the exposed turbo to exhaust stud on the photo and the other is to the left of the picture just behind the EGR cooler.

Next is the bolt holding the oil return pipe to the turbo. Is the bolt in the middle of the image with green mark on it. Once that bolt is removed you can pull the pipe away from the turbo, however it will be stuck in there and takes a lot of effort to remove.

The final bolt which not not difficult to get to but easy missed is the lower bolt holding the turbo bracket to the engine. It is just visible in the centre of the image to the left of the little pool of oil on the turbo. Took me a while to find this last bolt as it's not obvious in elsawin.

So a few days later the refurbished turbo came back

Fitting it is just the reverse of removal, just make sure the oil return goes back in, and make sure you fit a new o-ring, and all new turbo gaskets.

1 1 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast