Notices

User Tag List

Thread: New to VW - What should I be looking out for when buying - thinking of Golf 1.4L TSI

1. New to VW - What should I be looking out for when buying - thinking of Golf 1.4L TSI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I am thinking of switching from a Toyota to VW, I dont realy know much about it. I would realy appeciate if you guys can give me a checklist of things to lookout for when I go to view a potentail VW.

I amd thinking of a 2009/2010 Golf 1.4L TSI and have started googling and I see there is this chain tensioner issue.
    Is this will all models and sizes or some particular engines?

Thanks,

roks.

0 0 0

2. Re: New to VW - What should I be looking out for when buying - thinking of Golf 1.4L TSI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Roks. I have a 2010 1.4 Tsi Match, but its a DSG. Its in a different class to anything else, a superb car and the engine is just so punchy and responsive. Been very happy with ours for the last 4 years, however the turbo went this last week at 52K miles, I'm assured that this is a very unusual event and just bad luck. Apart from this its never missed a beat, so there is not much from experience I can advise you to look out for, apart from the usual things you would normally look out for in any car.
    Golf Match 1.4 TSi DSG (122) 2010 (60reg) in Georgia Blue

0 0 0

3. Re: New to VW - What should I be looking out for when buying - thinking of Golf 1.4L TSI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 1.4 TSI twin charger and I love it. But it had problems. I had lumpy idle and a severe multiple cylinder misfire. In a very short space of time it went from a slight problem to becoming undriveable without going into limp mode. So frustrating when you've bought a GT and having to drive with kid gloves. My garage had it in and said I had low cylinder compression. Probably due to carbon build up. Had it oil flushed and terra cleaned which bright the compression back to where it was supposed to be. Still misfired but no where near as bad and no limp mode. So changed the coils and now it runs like new.
    Only other problem I've found is the rear washer hose snapping between the body and the boot which filled the boot trim full of water.
    Other than that I love it. Now is sorted it's a fantastic engine. It can be economical if you drive it that way or it can be a very fun drive if that's what you want.
    I'd keep the servicing within the 10k though just to keep on top of gunk build.
    There's plenty of other folk who've had similar experiences with different remedies but that's my experience thus far.

1 0 0