Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Guys n Gals,

Going to be in need of four new tyres shortly, so I've narrowed it down to three that I'm considering, could people possibly give me some opinions on my selection at all?

Car: 2005 Passat TDi Estate 130
    Tyre Size: 205/55 R16

Tyre ideas:
    1x Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002 91W

Currently on car now, phenomenal tyre. Couldn't be more impressed tbh, never let me down and feels fantastic in the corners, but rated G for "fuel" and feel like trying something different.

2x Michelin CrossClimate 94W XL

Have these on works van, like the quietness, nice feel though not quite as responsive as the ones above, good grip in wet. Better fuel rating and a four seasons tyre...

Wildcard...

Continental Premium Contact 5 91W

Never used continental really but heard good things about these tyres, best on fuel rating out of the three and good wet grip rating. Also noisier than the other two above....

Took me ages to filter down to these three, given the cost of tyres and the fact it's life or death, it's not something I can just fob off with "ahh that'll do".

Any advice/opinions appreciated, I like the RE002's but will be putting an extra 10k a year on car now (about to change jobs and subsequently losing van), hence the more "fuel efficient" ones.

Cheers
    Mini

0 0 0

2. Re: Which Tyres.... Opinions Please... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    If you want longativity then definitely not the Continential.

Have you considered Hankook or Kumho?

0 0 0

3. Re: Which Tyres.... Opinions Please... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Don't consider Kumho .

0 0 0

4. Re: Which Tyres.... Opinions Please... 
    From - Walney Island, Cumbria, Live in: Larkhill, Wiltshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    That's something else I had heard about contis.... Last about 10 miles... Looked at both but reviews led me to where I am atm.. Also considered UniRoyals RS3.. But unsure of tread pattern being the wrong way around on one side though. Seems unnatural to me.

0 0 0

5. Re: Which Tyres.... Opinions Please... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Longevity would be nice btw, but tyres are always gonna wear, it's fuel efficiency I'm trying for. And performance of course.

0 0 0

6. Re: Which Tyres.... Opinions Please... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Don't consider Kumho .
    Why? I've had numerous sets of Kumho's on my A3 and can't complain about them.

0 0 0

7. Re: Which Tyres.... Opinions Please... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Pathetic pointless 3.5mm rim protector , and my dads old KU39 Ecsta Le Sport inner sidewalls split and other uk car clubs had experienced the same .

I had an mot done before this happened with rated Kumho KU31 Ecsta SPT the veteran mot tester went ape and told me to get them off for something decent , I had no idea at the time , but now I do .

Kumho never again , cheap for a reason , stick to premium tyres from Michelin , Goodyear and Dunlop .

0 1 0

8. Re: Which Tyres.... Opinions Please... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    if you want to just drive and not worry about hitting standing water then it has to be the cross climates.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

9. Re: Which Tyres - Opinions Please? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    kumho's. hmm. customer the other week with what sounded like a very worn wheel bearing. turned out to be his new kumho eco winds, got a feather edge on the inside. look at the sidewall, made in china.. great tyre, not.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

10. Re: Which Tyres - Opinions Please? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I wont ever go back to Goodyear/Dunlop, I used to use them religiously ... Spent £300 on four tyres a couple of years ago, had an MOT 3500 miles later, MOT failed on all four tyres being split and perished in the grooves and sidewalls. Returned all tyres to Goodyear for inspection who said that "they were superficial cracks and as such posed no structural disadvantage to the tyre and as such, they would only give me a 50% goodwill contribution back (not including labour, fitting etc obviously, just the cost of the tyres alone) This is despite the fact they had been on the car 12 months, done only 3500miles and had failed MOT on all four tyres... Was not happy, they should have lasted more than double that!

I am liking the michelins, Especially with winter approaching.. Cheers for opinions thus far, I'm swinging towards the Michelins i think, Contis look like they have decentish rim protection though where Michelins evidently have none?

Cheers
    Mini

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast