Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I've got an airbag warning light but I'm pretty sure what the issue is but need some advice on how to proceed.

Some while back I had to move the front passenger seat all the way back which caused the airbag warning light to come on. Apparently moving the seat back can cause the connector on the airbag wiring to disengage causing the warning light to come on. I'm given to believe this is not uncommon?

The first time this happened I paid my local garage to take the seat out and reconnect the wires.

Well it's happened again but I'm thinking that if it is literally just a connector that's disconnected, how hard can it be?

I think removing the seat shouldn't be too tricky, should it? Four bolts holding the two runners to the floor pan? Does that sound right? Appreciate any further clarification on removal of the front passenger seat.

Reconnect the wiring? I'm assuming this is just a plug that's dropped out? Again any further details on that would be appreciated.

My main concern at the moment though is that I have read that removing the seat, even with ignition off, can cause the car to think there's been an impact setting off the air bags, especially if there are side impact bags fitted. Is this true?
    The solution, I believe, is to disconnect the battery (up to 30 minutes before attempting the seat removal, though not quite sure why you have to wait)?
    If I did this would I need to resent anything once the battery was reconnected? And if so how would I go about this?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Many thanks

NICK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Air bag light on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Read the fault codes first.
    When taking out the seats (if even necessary) I would always disconnect the battery and then wait for a certain time.... half an hour is sensible. This is just to allow any electricity to dissipate from control modules.

Where in London are you? I am in Slough on Wednesday and can read the fault code for you for a beer token. Might be closer to centre next week.

0 0 0

3. Re: Air bag light on 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itavaltalainen View Post
    Read the fault codes first.
    When taking out the seats (if even necessary) I would always disconnect the battery and then wait for a certain time.... half an hour is sensible. This is just to allow any electricity to dissipate from control modules.

Where in London are you? I am in Slough on Wednesday and can read the fault code for you for a beer token. Might be closer to centre next week.
    Hi

Thanks for that. I know what you mean about the fault codes though I am pretty sure I know what the issue is.
    Apart from blowing myself up I'm worried about what disconnecting the battery will leave me with afterwards! (Silly really, back in"the olden days" used to take whole cars apart without a second thought!).

On top of which I've read that you have to buy a special splined spanner to undo the seat bolts.

It's all designed of course to get you to part with your cash down at the main dealer and I think they're going to win this one as it needs a service and a couple of other bits doing too.

Thanks for the offer to read the codes for me but I need to update my details as I no longer live near Slough. I'm in Devon now!!!

Thanks again

NICK

0 0 0