Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

A problem has just emerged with my 2001 A4. After indicating there is a metallic clicking noise from behind the dashboard which lasts for several minutes. It sounds like a relay is sticking. Does anyone know how i can check/replace this? I can't figure out how to get to it and am not sure which part to buy.

Regards
    Wid77

0 0 0

2. Re: Relay trouble. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The relay is part of the hazard warning switch. If that's the problem, pop the switch out and change the relay.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

3. Re: Relay trouble. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    The relay is part of the hazard warning switch. If that's the problem, pop the switch out and change the relay.
    Thanks for the reply. Just need to work out how to pop it out now. I'll give it a go.

0 0 0

4. Re: Relay trouble. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

5. Re: Relay trouble. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks a lot for the link.

0 0 0

6. Question Re: Relay trouble. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Sorry to be a pain. Just another 'home mechanic' question or two from me. Car is 2001 Y Reg A4 (last of the B5's).

I have managed to take part of the dashboard fascia off and expose the hazard switch and I will have it popped out in the morning. Does anyone know where I can find out the part number for the relay that I need or is it the whole switch that I am looking for?

Also, does anyone know where to buy it from? I have tried both eurocarparts and gsf but neither list it. If I have the part number I can at least call them on Monday.

regards
    Wid77

0 0 0

7. Re: Relay trouble. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The relay detaches from the switch, there should be two clips that hold it to the button section of the switch - see here for some excellent pics

hazard warning light switch relay turn signal/emerg.light (12V 4X12W) - 8D0941509H 01C

That should be the description and part number you need.

0 0 0

8. Re: Relay trouble. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The relay detaches from the switch, there should be two clips that hold it to the button section of the switch - see here for some excellent pics

hazard warning light switch relay turn signal/emerg.light (12V 4X12W) - 8D0941509H 01C

That should be the description and part number you need.
    Thanks for the great link. However...... I telephoned eurocar parts today and they said that i had to buy the whole switch. Cost £27 + VAT. Oh well I thought, at least the problem will then be solved. Anyway, went along and after waiting for about half an hour (Leicester branch - lousy customer service) I picked up the switch. I managed to remove the old switch without wrecking the dashboard and popped the old one back in. Easy as.

Feeling quite smug with myself I drove round the corner and there it was again! . The same clicking relay type noise after using the indicators which lasts for several seconds and can also happen spontaneusly. So now i am not sure whether the new switch is faulty or not or whether it is another problem with the car. For example, if I hold the indicator stalk in a certain position i can get it to make the same relay type noise but it seems to be working fine otherwise. Just to add another problem during the long wait at ECP I had noticed a sign that said, "we do not accept returns for electrical items" so if the switch is faulty i can't see me getting my money back. If i buy another one then i may be out of pocket over £60 if the switch is not the fault?

Can anyone advise me, please (beg, beg).

Cheers

0 0 0

9. Re: Relay trouble. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Still need some help please .

I went back to euro car parts and they replaced the switch without a problem. Put it in the car and the new one clicks too. Therefore, i must have another problem other than the switch. Can anyone tell me what could be causing my hazard/indicator relay to click from time to time when neither the hazards or indicators are being operated? The only other thing i can think of is the indicator stalk but this seems fine to me? I am stuck.

I would appreciate any help available before this problem drives me up the wall.

Regards
    Wid77.

0 0 0

10. Re: Relay trouble. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm, where abouts does the noise come from?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast