Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there.

I have a 2011 1.6 TDI Touran with a manual gearbox and 92k on the clock. When either cold or warm, the car will always make a rattling noise when accelerating in 5th or 6th gear, and ONLY those two gears. And only while accelerating. The noise is like a babys rattle, coming from somewhere that sounds like the engine compartment at the left hand side. I can drive it up through 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and there's no noise. But once I go into 5th, and accelerate, and the revs reach about 1800rpm, the noise comes into the car. This noise will continue until about 2400 rpm, and then fade away to nothing. Once I climb to 6th gear, the noise starts again, and again will go away at about 2400 rpm.

If I leave the throttle off, or coast, the rattle disappears. It only happens while the engine is pulling. I was a mechanic in a past life, but have been out of the scene a good few years now. It sounds like it's gearbox related, but is 5th and 6th on a different shaft, that perhaps a bearing is starting to wear. Or does anyone have any ideas why this is happening.

I don't know how long this has being going on as I have the car only a few months, and it was in it at the beginning.
    Last edited by ger80; 06-06-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.6 TDI rattle on acceleration in 5th and 6th gear only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I had a similar problem but with my Sharan, except the noise initially only happened after 10-20 miles whilst driving on a motorway whilst accelerating in 5th and 6th but it did not disappear at any point. Initially changed injector wiring loom and seem to have some effect but then problem returned. (had already done full diagnostic with VCDS and no fault codes). Then found inner cv boot on drivers side split and replaced and still problem persisted. Just had DMF, clutch and outer driveshaft on passenger side replaced but haven't had chance for motorway run to check. However no vibration even under hard accelerating in lower gears which I had also started to notice. DMF was actually making slight noise at the time of replacement. Although I could have got a few more miles out of it but just wanted to eliminate all possibilities.
    Hope it helps
    Jav

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.6 TDI rattle on acceleration in 5th and 6th gear only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input. The car is still the same. The noise has got no better or worse. There was or still is not any vibration at any point when driving. In fact, apart from this rattle, you would never know anything could be wrong. I've changed the oil in the gearbox, but the noise is still there. Anyone I talk to about it seems stumped. Short of replacing the gearbox, there seems to be no way of finding out if it is actually the box that's making the noise. And as the car is driving fine, I'm not going to that expense. I'll keep an eye (ear) on it and see if anything presents itself.

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.6 TDI rattle on acceleration in 5th and 6th gear only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey!
    Did you found any solution?
    I have exactly the same issue with my 2011 skoda yeti 1.2 tsi 6 speed manual gearbox, only in my case the rattle goes from around 2200 rpm to around 2800 rpm and only in 5th and 6th gears.

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.6 TDI rattle on acceleration in 5th and 6th gear only 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    did you solve it? it happens the same with my car and this is the only post I have found with the exact same problem. I own a seat leon with 1.6 tdi CAYC.

0 0 0