Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Move battery into the engine compartment?

1. Move battery into the engine compartment? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm considering an A1, but would like a spacesaver spare wheel. but it won't fit in the well in the boot because of the battery. There is a platfom in the engine compartment which appears to be designed to take the battery, power cables etc are adjacent. I asked about moving the battery at my local dealer, they said that it's a common question, but that the warranty would be invalidated if the battery was moved to the engine compartment - so not really something to consider on a new car. However on a car out of warranty?

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the matter?

0 0 0

2. Re: Move battery into the engine compartment? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Pretty sure the wheel goes over the battery...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi S1, Vegas Yellow, Contrast Black Roof/Black Pack, and all the other options except the Pano Roof. 284bhp/445Nm with FSR Tuning Box and Pedal Box
    Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG Estate, Rallye Green, and all the other options except the Pano Roof
    Audi SQ5. Now Sold

0 0 0

3. Re: Move battery into the engine compartment? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    In fact it definitely does The Audi A1 Forum • View topic - spacesaver spare wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi S1, Vegas Yellow, Contrast Black Roof/Black Pack, and all the other options except the Pano Roof. 284bhp/445Nm with FSR Tuning Box and Pedal Box
    Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG Estate, Rallye Green, and all the other options except the Pano Roof
    Audi SQ5. Now Sold

1 0 0

4. Re: Move battery into the engine compartment? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, as the battery in the new model I looked at is not central in the well it didn't occur that this was possible.

Also this post from your link is particularly useful:

Re: spacesaver spare wheel

by sbarker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:07 pm
    One useful bit of information on the face lift model, the 1.4 now has the battery back under the bonnet, so the space saver fits under the floor other way up which means you can fill the middle section with Jack and tools, plus you can still lower floor. I know this as have done this for my dad and he is borrow my space saver as nowhere on my s1 I can carry it.

sbarkerA1F Major Contributor Posts: 539Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:32 pmLocation: Kent

1 1 0

5. Re: Move battery into the engine compartment? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I ended up buying a Nov 2015 1.6 TDI Sportback, battery in the boot, but central so the spaceasaver I've bought will fit over it. There is no platform in the engine compartment, the diesel engine's air filter housing uses the space.

There's a fitting on top of the battery which appears to be designed to accept a clamp for the spacesaver. Anyone know if that's right and if so where to obtain the clamp?

0 0 0