Notices

User Tag List

Thread: New A4 with technology pack - Wheres the Imbedded Sim?

1. New A4 with technology pack - Wheres the Imbedded Sim? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took delivery of a brand new A4 S Line yesterday with the technology pack (WB4) as an add on. Looking through the A4 brochure it clearly states "Audi Connect (three-year subscription). Convenientconnection of your vehicle to the internet via an integrateddata module with LTE/UMTS connection. Highlights of AudiConnect services include navigation with Google Earth™and Google Street View™, destination input via myAudi orGoogle Maps™, access to Google and Twitter, weather andnews online and travel information."

I'm a bit of a techno geek and liked the idea of these services along with remote locking and vehicle tracking.

During the set up myAudi account I was asked to scratch the covering off my key chain supplied with the card (like a scratch card) and enter the revealed coded into the MMI with my user name. Alas this did not work as the code was not recognised and the menu that should be selected (Audi connect user Management) described in my owner's manual manual and myAudi website doesn't exist!

After a frustrating call to Audi Customer services (no help) I was passed on to my local dealer who eventually got back to me after "some reading". It transpires my car has no in built sim. Am I missing something? All the blurb regarding the technology pack mentions an inbuilt sim and my car was supplied with the keycode for setting it up. Looking at the car configurator on the Audi UK website also mentions an in built sim! I have read around and seem some conflicting evidence regarding in built sims etc but i was under the impression the new audi didn't need an extra sim for connectivity (only if you wanted to set up a wifi spot).

Thanks in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: New A4 with technology pack - Wheres the Imbedded Sim? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeko99 View Post
    I took delivery of a brand new A4 S Line yesterday with the technology pack (WB4) as an add on. Looking through the A4 brochure it clearly states "Audi Connect (three-year subscription). Convenientconnection of your vehicle to the internet via an integrateddata module with LTE/UMTS connection. Highlights of AudiConnect services include navigation with Google Earth™and Google Street View™, destination input via myAudi orGoogle Maps™, access to Google and Twitter, weather andnews online and travel information."

I'm a bit of a techno geek and liked the idea of these services along with remote locking and vehicle tracking.

During the set up myAudi account I was asked to scratch the covering off my key chain supplied with the card (like a scratch card) and enter the revealed coded into the MMI with my user name. Alas this did not work as the code was not recognised and the menu that should be selected (Audi connect user Management) described in my owner's manual manual and myAudi website doesn't exist!

After a frustrating call to Audi Customer services (no help) I was passed on to my local dealer who eventually got back to me after "some reading". It transpires my car has no in built sim. Am I missing something? All the blurb regarding the technology pack mentions an inbuilt sim and my car was supplied with the keycode for setting it up. Looking at the car configurator on the Audi UK website also mentions an in built sim! I have read around and seem some conflicting evidence regarding in built sims etc but i was under the impression the new audi didn't need an extra sim for connectivity (only if you wanted to set up a wifi spot).

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Deeko99, congrats on the new purchase..

The eSIM is not a physical thing and you can't get to it in the car, it is just embedded into the MMI system. I have never tried my car withot having a phone attached in rSAP mode so I'm not sure how the integrated SIM it operates, I'll give it a test over the weekend..

I have also had varius contact with Audi UK about some of the remote services, and eventually found out that most of them are not available in the UK.. You definitely can't get remote lock/unlock, cabin pre heat, or vehicle data report (service schedule, mileage, fuel etc). The tracking only seams to store the location you last parked and that seems to rely on the car talikng to an app on your smart phone (which you need to download) called MMI Connect.

I was advised remote lock/unlock was coming to the UK this year but no specific date.
    2016 A4 (B9) Avant S-Line 3.0TDI Quattro Tiptronic 272ps

0 0 0

3. Re: New A4 with technology pack - Wheres the Imbedded Sim? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the response - I appreciate the advice.

I'm aware the built in sim isn't physical - What I mean is that I can see no evidence of it in the MMI menus or when attempting to connect to online services. I can get Infotainment services when its connected to my house wifi or when I insert a sim card but theres nothing without either! I'm a bit miffed that I've spent £1500 on technology pack to gain "half" a service. I previously owned a BMW and the data was included in the contract. From what I can gather after further reading is that the bullt in eSIM has only just been released on the A4 and will start coming out in new builds. Also on closer inspection the user's guide with the car mention the remote locking/cabin heating etc as "in development".

One of the reasons I went for the technology pack was options like remote lock and cabin heating as i used them on my old car quite extensively.

Still the build quality and ride is good!

I'm wondering if an update in the future might add on the features?

0 0 0

4. Re: New A4 with technology pack - Wheres the Imbedded Sim? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, given it's just a module you'd assume it is already there and perhaps not activated in the earlier cars.. Hopefully a software update will be made available at some point to enable it.

It is dissapointing the services aren't there, but what's more dissapointing to me is the fact Audi UK don't know anything about it.. It's not the first time I've had this with Audi UK though, it seems to be quite common for more detailed information about Audi cars and their services not to be accessible, the dealers are no better either, they are just as clueless..

0 0 0

5. Re: New A4 with technology pack - Wheres the Imbedded Sim? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Look like Audi UK have finally caught up: Audi Connect SIM – online without borders

Could be worth a call to see what they say about activating it in models ordered pre June? There could also be a case for misselling as the original brochure does not say anything about the eSIM not being available on the earlier cars.

0 0 0

6. Re: New A4 with technology pack - Wheres the Imbedded Sim? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like Audi didn't mention the integrated eSIM in the older brochures, only in the very latest one

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/13/a4/a4.pdf

0 0 0