1. A6 2.4 with cvt gearbox, , 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As posted earlier my A6 at present changes fine in both auto or manual mode, there is a problem deep in the box with some valves that will eventually need the box replacing. It has at present a CVT box. Are any of the other auto boxes used by VW group as successful as Mercedes/GM use, and if so is it possible to replace with one. The car is really to good to scrap and to pay £1250 for a replacement cvt is unecomical really, the car is only worth £600-800. I could buy a scrapped manual car and have the bits changed over for less than £1250 ?

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 2.4 with cvt gearbox, , 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I posted about changing from manual to auto as I have problems with my tiptronic. There was a lot more to it than simply changing over the box and driveshafts/propshaft. The car had to be reprogrammed to forget that it was an auto. ECUs had to be changed etc. All do-able but needs to be thought about carefully and is likely to get expensive. As for other VAG autos that would go in I think youre pretty much stuck with the CVT or the tiptronic although there may be bombproof 3 speeders available from audi 100's or the like. Id doubt that theyd work with the newer engines though even if they are available.

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 2.4 with cvt gearbox, , 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for this advise, I expected it would not be that easy, however could a tiptronic be installed easily please.

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 2.4 with cvt gearbox, , 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What I was recommended by an Audi techician was to find a manual and jump through all the hoops that fitting it entails.

The problem is finding an auto that still works, or will stay working for any length of time. A tiptronic will fit fine of course, but will probably need all the bits plus programming that fitting a manual would entail, so for a slight loss of refinement you get a solid reliable gearbox and get to enjoy the power of your engine. I was actually pretty shocked at just how much power the tiptronic box sapped from the engine.

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 2.4 with cvt gearbox, , 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This looks like a case of driving until it packs up then decide what part to salvage, grey leather heated seats, sell engine only 100k with new cam belt and water pump at 99k. I have seen two this week for sale at silly money. this is fortunately not my main car so can afford to let go in future. Thanks to all who have read and the reply

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 2.4 with cvt gearbox, , 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have been reading a range of posts like this about auto problems cos my A4 2.5tdi Tiptronic has slight problem which it seems will cost £3/400 to put right.It doesnt seem to be getting worse and again its not my main car so I will wait and see.Seems to me that as these get older it becomes more difficult to justify the expense of major work which no doubt increases their depreciation and hastens their end.Contrast with my 40yr old Spitfire which was never robust even when new but anything can be fixed and depreciation isnt a worry if you keep the rust at bay

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 2.4 with cvt gearbox, , 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for the comment, depending on your problem of the gearbox, at that cost it may be worth putting right, You know the condition of your Audi and is it worth more than that to find the same without the problem. Time and distance to find. Good luck with your Spitfire keeping rust at bay, my late farther purchased one for me for my 21 Birthday in 1966, a MK2, no longer registered MXC948D unfortunately. Still have an open top today Audi TT MK1, will grow up some day.

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 2.4 with cvt gearbox, , 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yes it might as the car is otherwise hard to replace with its high spec but its only a faulty reverse gear sensor that corrects when you restart and I am still hoping that it settles down as some other niggles have done lately.I cursed last winter when the demister flap stuck again but it freed itself a few weeks later on a bumpy road.Still miss my 68 Vitesse 2ltr that I used to commute to London on the M3 when it opened and was almost deserted

0 0 0