1. The new Q7 smartphone interface 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So not sure who has the smartphone interface but I think some recent Q7 arrivals might do.

So I thought I would write how I have found the smartphone interface running Android Auto for my S7 Edge.

Well I am basically very happy with it so far. I leave it on the MMI screen and use the VC for navigation if I need to. It all works exactly as I hoped it would my car is a recognised wifi hotshot by my phone so as soon as the car is on the phone connects via wifi meaning any streaming I do from my phone through Android Auto won't use the phones data but the cars data instead.

I have no intention of using Google maps on Android Auto (AA) and I don't see why anyone would as the cars Google earth is far superior. So for me the AA options I was after was my ipod equivalent music control as I have all my music stored on my phone. I also wanted to use tunin radio app to listen to radio stations world wide. Particularly Australian radio that let's me reminis of home. I also want to have messaging apps including what's app to notify me of messages so I will no longer be tempted to look at my phone while driving.

Well the first image is what you get when you are first connected.

You can see in the image it gives you a bit of info of places it has noticed you like to go. The more I use the car the more the info will sharpen amd become relevant. Bit of weather info aswell. All great. If I have been listening to music it will have info recommending to resume where inlet off with info of last song and cover art.

Navigating around the UI is good via the MMI control knob and turning onto music is easy. I kept worrying watching you tube videos as they only demonstrate Spotify all the time and online streaming and I was concerned all my music on the phone could not be played like days of old using an Ipod. But its all good except you can only select playlists,recent played mixes etc. You cant choose artist or songs individually like you can an ipod.

At first I was guttered but I discovered how good OK Google (SIRI) is integrated into the car. A quick press of the voice command button on the steering wheel gives you standard Audi VR options. But a longer press gives you full OK Google from the phone. It's brilliant quick and sharp. I've never liked voice commands to much I always end up just using control wheels. But this is brilliant. Just say to ok google "play rock playlist" or "play fleetwood mac" and it does it instantly. So fast and enjoyable. Today I sent a message to my wife. OK goggle on my phone knows who my wife is, so in the car I just so message my wife, Google asks what I want to say and boom it's sent and the accuracy so far is first rate. Messages that come in weather what's app or standard text can be read out easily. It's all very intuitive.

The next other plan I had for AA was also successful using tunein radio app that is an approved app for both AA and Carplay. Straight on and in no time I have my Australian radio stations on in the car. While it's the phone providing the UI to the car, the phone is connected to the cars WIFI so you 2 aerials on the roof are maintain the best possible connection with no cut-out. Even the artwork of the Australian radio stations are displayed.

And I can flick through my favourite radio stations as easy as the cars own DAB.

Another thing is while listening to my music or online radio at any time I can swap into the cars MMI menu, navigation or other function WITHOUT LOSS. AA will keep working no differently.

Also the speed camera warning we have all just put into our cars also works in Android Auto. So you can get all your standard notifications still.

So lastly the telephone in AA against the Telephone in MMI. Great news is I can use either at any time. If I have not turned AA on and maybe listening to standard DAB or something the telephone is great. Display full contact directory profile photos of who is on the phone or calling you. If I am in AA it's the same. Full photos easy to use and I can use OK google to call anyone and again it's simple, fast and intuitive to use.

Well that's about it. Loving Android Auto at the moment and works well with all the other function of the car.

My wife has a iPhone 6S so I will use hers to test and compare shortly.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    2012 Audi A7 SE, Midnight Blue, MMI Plus with touch, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assist, Blind Spot Monitoring, Head Up Display, Audi Pre-Sense, 2wd 8 speed.

0 3 0

2. Re: The new Q7 smartphone interface 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    That's a very thorough review I have ASI on this one didn't on previous one...I do like the voice texting and voice searching to call someone.

I do think it's flaky and one thing that does annoy me is that (could be I haven't worked out how to do this) but so much easier to search for numbers using the normal Bluetooth MMI integration and the biggest negative for me is that if a phone is connected by ASI then I can't have my second phone (work) connected by bluetooth.

I guess for me I'll use the ASI on longer journeys especially when don't need both phones connected.

Don't get me wrong - it's good but there is so much more it could have been and integrated a lot more

0 1 0

3. Re: The new Q7 smartphone interface 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo78 View Post
    That's a very thorough review I have ASI on this one didn't on previous one...I do like the voice texting and voice searching to call someone.

I do think it's flaky and one thing that does annoy me is that (could be I haven't worked out how to do this) but so much easier to search for numbers using the normal Bluetooth MMI integration and the biggest negative for me is that if a phone is connected by ASI then I can't have my second phone (work) connected by bluetooth.

I guess for me I'll use the ASI on longer journeys especially when don't need both phones connected.

Don't get me wrong - it's good but there is so much more it could have been and integrated a lot more
    I didn't know you couldn't connect second phone if using ASI. I doubt I will ever use the second phone option tbh so won't effect me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2012 Audi A7 SE, Midnight Blue, MMI Plus with touch, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assist, Blind Spot Monitoring, Head Up Display, Audi Pre-Sense, 2wd 8 speed.

0 0 0

4. Re: The new Q7 smartphone interface 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy73 View Post
    I didn't know you couldn't connect second phone if using ASI. I doubt I will ever use the second phone option tbh so won't effect me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The second phone option is a godsend as always frustrated me in previous car that I had to make a 'choice' and then switch them manually...

0 0 0

5. Re: The new Q7 smartphone interface 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Great review!!! I cant decide if I need AA or not now... not that I have it, but would try to retrofit it...
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 0 0

6. Re: The new Q7 smartphone interface 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Go for the RAC Andy they are faster than the AA.
    (Why does no one find my joke funny)?

0 1 0

7. Re: The new Q7 smartphone interface 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Its funny!!!
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 0 0

8. Re: The new Q7 smartphone interface 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo78 View Post

Did you get a new Q7 the !?, did you trade your old one in?, get a good deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

9. Re: The new Q7 smartphone interface 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonestokie View Post
    Did you get a new Q7 the !?, did you trade your old one in?, get a good deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey long time no speak! I had my Q7 replaced as there a number of issues with it and on the replacement i had Smartphone Interface added

0 0 0

10. Re: The new Q7 smartphone interface 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Little birdy in this great wide world tells me to enable SmartPhone interface on Q7 4Ms that dont have it is just a firmware update and they hope they can provide it (potentially at a cost). This isnt via Audi BTW

Thats all I know for now, but apparently its just "all software" , there is no extra hardware.

Watch this space....

0 2 0

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast