Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,

Wondering if you good folks could help with a rear camera install on a A4 B6 Avant (2004). I know this has been covered numerous times and its getting boring now but the info is patchy and therefore confusing for a novice like me.

I've powered the rear registration plate camera by splicing into the rear window wiper terminal and it works fine.

The composite cable will run from the tail gate (boot) into the car so my first question is:

1. How to channel a cable from the boot lid into the actual car as there is no flexi tubing you normally see on normal cars? All I see are the mount covers ?
    2. Once I'm inside the car, do you recommend wiring via the A, B, C panel trims or go to the floor and run along the bottom?
    3. The rear view mirror (auto dimming with built in LCD type) will be powered most likely from the front head lining lights - is this a good idea? Or do you recommend taking the power from the fuse box on the side (the A pillar has already been removed)?
    4. The biggest obstacle (for me) is the reverse wire? I'm thinking of tapping into the rear light and running a wire to the front as opposed to messing around at the front near the glove box or gear lever. Again, is this a good idea?
    5. There seems to be 8 wires going into the rear tail light connector block - any ideas which is reverse? Hooking a multi meter, i was assuming a reverse gear change would give me a instant 12V power source from one of the wires but all i get is a fluctuating voltage which sort of hits 9V ish....what am I doing wrong?

FYI, its a cheap Chinese import setup so no brands etc.

Any advice would be appreciated - in return, I'm compiling a detailed PDF for this to help others and will post it online.

0 0 0

2. Re: B6 2004 Avant rear camera install - the EASY way 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Welcome to the entertainment of the B6 rear light wiring, as experienced by those of us who have retro fitted towbars! The bulb monitoring system sends pulses down the wiring to check the bulbs, it also does clever things with modulating voltage for some of the bulbs (although I didn;t think it did this for the reverse light). I don't know whether this jiggery pokery will have an issue with your sense wire for the reversing camara or not, you may be better off picking it up from the reversing switch on the gearbox.

0 0 0

3. Re: B6 2004 Avant rear camera install - the EASY way 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where will you situate your reverse camera? I have the option but unsure where it could hide.
    Will keep an eye on this post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 A4 1.9TDI Avant Sport ~ 1997 mk3 Golf GTI 8v (Currently in bits)

0 0 0