1. 2014 GTD Cold Starting Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum and im hoping you may be able to help me with a problem I am having?

I have a 2014 GTD MK7 with 36k on the clock which has an intermittent problem associated with cold starting. When the problem occurs, the car cranks for an unusually long period of time, and in some cases also stutters before firing up. Once the car has fired, the engine runs perfectly with full power and no problems at all. The issue is that the problem is intermittent and only happens after the car has been stood for a long time - i.e. a full day at work or overnight etc. When the engine is warm, the car will start instantly as expected. it will even be fine if it has been stood for an hour or two. Sometimes when the car has been stood overnight, it will start absolutely fine, other times it will splutter or take a longer time to crank over. Has anyone else experienced this or has any suggestions as to what may be causing it? The car is still under warranty and I have had the car into VW twice. There are no fault codes stored and because the fault hasn't occurred when at the dealers, they are saying there is nothing wrong! The dealer changed the fuel pump in the fuel tank but this has not solved the problem. I have several recordings of the fault occurring and have shown these to the dealer only to be told they cant do anything!! I am fuming with them - this is not what I expected on a 2 year old car!! Any help with this would be much appreciated - the link to the videos on youtube of my car doing this is here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...w=1&shelf_id=0.

Also, I would like the opinion of any other Golf/Octavia/A3 owners who have the 184ps EA288 engine. I seem to think that when idling, my engine sounds very clattery and noisy, especially when compared to a 150ps version of the engine? Does anyone else think this and think it is normal? Having come from a BMW I have to say that the engine sounds very agricultural when Idling, and not as quiet as I was expecting?

Many thanks for any advice in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: 2014 GTD Cold Starting Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My first thought is to suspect either faulty glowplugs, or solenoid, or the wiring between the solenoid and glowplugs. If the problem is intermittent even when it's cold, that suggests poor connections rather than a permanent fault. When the engine is hot, or the outside temperature is warmer, the glowplugs aren't essential to start the engine so the fault won't be obvious then I've no idea why this isn't getting recorded on the fault log though!
    3 Door Golf 4 GT TDI: 11/1998 - 3/2006. 3 Door Polo 4 Twist 1.2: 12/2003 - 4/2009. Skoda Octavia 2 L&K 2.0 TDI: 3/2006 - 12/2011. Golf Plus SE 1.6 TDI DSG: 12/2011 - 2/2015.
    Golf SV SE 1.4SI DSG in Tornado Red, with Perth alloys, Bi-Xenons + LED DRLs, Discover Navigation, Climatronic, Sunroof, Foglights, Mirror Pack, Lane Assist Side Scan & Dynamic Light Assist, Rear view Camera & Winter Pack!

0 0 0

3. Re: 2014 GTD Cold Starting Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Ask the dealer if it is normal. If not, escalate it, and make a complaint.
    Sounds like air in the fuel lines to me. Glow plugs aren't really an issue in the current climate.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

4. Re: 2014 GTD Cold Starting Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Hi Welcome to forum !
    I'm thinking high pressure fuel pump or accumulator / common rail problem, I would expect the high pressure fuel accumulator or rail pressure can be monitored during cold start up and the rate or speed of pressure rise graphed. I think when the car is stood for shorter periods of time the accumulator is holding some residual pressure so the pump doesn't have to bring pressure all the way back up. A good diagnostic is needed to look into it properly, hopefully you get it sorted before warranty is up.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2014 GTD Cold Starting Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi rowdy-999did you get sorted with this issue I see reports on other forums with a similar issue.

0 0 0

6. Re: 2014 GTD Cold Starting Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi rob,

I just spotted this and I'm interested in where you got with it. I've got a 63 plate GTD with just short of 30k on it with exactly the same issue. I took it in the vw (Huntington) and the dos a little bit of research and concluded it was a software issue. Did some updating (not sure what) and when I picked up the car it was awesome, like new. A couple of weeks later it started playing up again. All my friends keep telling me it's normal but my focus I had before wasn't like this. I should also mention that mine is push button start so it is all automated. Not sure what you've got. I'm going to be contacting vw again this week.

Dan

0 0 0

7. Re: 2014 GTD Cold Starting Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Seward View Post
    Hi rob,

I just spotted this and I'm interested in where you got with it. I've got a 63 plate GTD with just short of 30k on it with exactly the same issue. I took it in the vw (Huntington) and the dos a little bit of research and concluded it was a software issue. Did some updating (not sure what) and when I picked up the car it was awesome, like new. A couple of weeks later it started playing up again. All my friends keep telling me it's normal but my focus I had before wasn't like this. I should also mention that mine is push button start so it is all automated. Not sure what you've got. I'm going to be contacting vw again this week.

Dan
    Do you know what the software update was for I have purchased a GTD and I have noticed it on occasion this issue on my car very infrequently do I must add I also see the issue talked about on the Skoda VRS forum.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2014 GTD Cold Starting Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, they didn't tell me what software it was, they probably didn't do anything and it was pure fluke. Lol. It's interesting that you are having a similar issue, the OP has this issue, you've seen a couple of posts on the skoda forums and also my friend has an Audi A1 with the issue yet when I spoke to VW they have never heard of this issue. I doubt that for one second. Has anyone else seen this issue?

0 0 0

9. Re: 2014 GTD Cold Starting Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just if you are interested here is the Skoda Thread in case a resolution appears on there first :-) http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...ow-to-fire-up/

0 0 0

10. Re: 2014 GTD Cold Starting Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Golf GTD 2014 Low fuel pressure, changed lift pump in tank. Ended up at VW, needed new lift pump CONTROL UNIT.
    How VW Parts Fail ~ 2.0t Fuel Pump Modules - YouTube
    Could not send new lift back, so if anyone want a cheap lift pump let me know.

Thanks Andy

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast