1. Unhappy audi A1 sportsback power steering problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I purchased my new A1 in November 2014. In December 2015, the power steeringfailed, it completely froze while driving and I struggled to turn the wheel to move it to a carpark. I switched the ignition off and on and the steeringwas okay.
    I took it back to my Audi garage, who said that it was an extremely rare electrical fault and a new component was ordered from Germany and fitted.

I thought that all steeringproblems had been fixed, until last month when once again, my power steeringlocked while driving along a winding country road, fortunately I was able to pull in to a layby, switched the ignition off and on again and it restarted.

Audi have now had my car for two weeks and have still not determined the fault. Needless to say I now have little confidence in my new car, on both occasions I could have caused an accident.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

0 0 0

2. Re: audi A1 sportsback power steering problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, this has happened to my A1 sportback 1.6 tdi week before last, my car was registered in 2016, my other half was driving when it happened the first time, I drove it that evening and it happened again, the car is currently at the dealership and I am refusing to take it back until the issue is resolved on safety grounds, there is no way I'm putting anyone in that car, only problem is that after a lot of testing they have no fault appearing. What happened in the end was it resolved?

0 0 0

3. Re: audi A1 sportsback power steering problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    Hi, this has happened to my A1 sportback 1.6 tdi week before last, my car was registered in 2016, my other half was driving when it happened the first time, I drove it that evening and it happened again, the car is currently at the dealership and I am refusing to take it back until the issue is resolved on safety grounds, there is no way I'm putting anyone in that car, only problem is that after a lot of testing they have no fault appearing. What happened in the end was it resolved?
    Hi,

Audi had my car for several weeks as I went through the rejection process. Because my car was over a year old my claim was refused, trading in the car meant that I stood to lose a considerable amount. They could not determine the source of the fault and like you the car had no fault appearing. I finally agreed to have an independent assessor examine the car, he couldn't find a thing wrong with it, which is clearly the case with such an intermittent fault. I did have the car back, and have had no problem with it since. What I did learn from this experience is that the dealership will give no guarantee that a problem is fixed!
    Good luck, I did post on several Audi forums, and yours is the only reply. I was told it was an extremely rare problem, and the lack of replies confirms this.

0 0 0

4. Re: audi A1 sportsback power steering problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for your reply, I've seen other bits and pieces on the internet with other forums relating to this issue with other models so we can't be that alone. Mine is still with the dealership and its early days but either way I can't let my other half drive it which would mean I'd have to settle it and sell it at a considerable loss, unless they can help me financially somehow. I've got Audi UK, the dealership and Audi Finance involved and will have to see how it goes, the dealership has gone quiet and isn't communicating with me very much which doesn't help, even trying to charge me for the hire car provided by Audi Assist ! In order for me to reject the car there has to have been a fault that has occurred and because it is so intermittent who knows when this might happen again, like I said to them I'll give them a call from the side of the road once its been wrapped around a tree, I've really lost confidence in the brand.

0 0 0

5. Re: audi A1 sportsback power steering problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guy's

just had this fault on 63 plate A1 sportback, initially thought it was alternator as battery was dropping low, however, full battery charged and it happened once again on my way to work today, baffling and quite concerning looking at the issues you have all had, any resolutions?

0 0 0

6. Re: audi A1 sportsback power steering problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I’ve seen problems like this before relations to the steering angle sensor, see if you can find a fault code for it with a scanner

0 0 0

7. Re: audi A1 sportsback power steering problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For some bizarre reason there is some electrical 'need' for the PAS - whether the amount of effort it provides is varied with speed or what, I don't know. It may even turn off at 50 mph or something as a fuel economy thing. There's a load sensor on the steering wheel too - that detects steering load the driver's applying. This, I've found not only starts the engine when it'a automatically stopped but can also restart the PAS. What I don't know from the reports above is whether these reported failures have been 'total' or 'temporary'. I'd be interested to learn what happens if it happens again and you stop the car but leave the engine running then turn the wheels with the steering wheel. Does the PAS kick in again ?

With the PAS inactive at slow speeds, it is a most definitely different beast than 'normal'.

Mike.

0 0 0

8. Re: audi A1 sportsback power steering problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Good morning All,
    Apologies to jump on an old thread but I am now experiencing this issue with my Audi A1 TFSI 2010.
    My car was fine, drove to a shop, came out of the shop started my car and Power Steering failed, the amber steering wheel light came up on my dash, so I made the decision to try and get it home. Part way home the light went off and the power steering was back.
    Turned the engine off when I got home and now the power steering is completely dead and won't come back even during a drive.
    I took it to a garage yesterday and they've advised it needs to go to a main Audi dealer as they believe it to be a Software / Hardware issue. I'm taking it to Audi today but just wondering if anyone ever got anywhere with Audi when they took theirs in? I'm not feeling very positive about it at the moment...
    Thanks

0 0 0

9. Re: audi A1 sportsback power steering problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kpaustin View Post
    Good morning All,
    Apologies to jump on an old thread but I am now experiencing this issue with my Audi A1 TFSI 2010.
    My car was fine, drove to a shop, came out of the shop started my car and Power Steering failed, the amber steering wheel light came up on my dash, so I made the decision to try and get it home. Part way home the light went off and the power steering was back.
    Turned the engine off when I got home and now the power steering is completely dead and won't come back even during a drive.
    I took it to a garage yesterday and they've advised it needs to go to a main Audi dealer as they believe it to be a Software / Hardware issue. I'm taking it to Audi today but just wondering if anyone ever got anywhere with Audi when they took theirs in? I'm not feeling very positive about it at the moment...
    Thanks
    Hi there!
    I’ve had the exact same problem with my 61plate Audi A1 and has only done 43000, I’ve had my power steering replaced by an independent garage and afterwards was told some hardware/sensor had to be configurated after the power steering was replaced but not when I’m turning the car it’s sounds like a robot moving it’s arm!
    If you could please post how you got on at Audi and what the outcome was for yourself that would be great!

0 0 0