Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lexhus View Post
    Oh and hold up, your AEE engine is putting out 151kw? holy crap. Mine probably doesn't even have the 55kw it came out of the factory with. If I could get mine up to that power I wouldn't even need a swap.
    Ah yes - I was experimenting with some modifications, looking back it now it was probably what popped half my regulator in the first place! I still need to put that kit back together - with a juicier alternator next time!

A nice cold morning or autumn day and she runs like a beast. Good effects from increasing breathability in this block, the stock stuff is pretty poor.

If I had more money, I would get a manifold made up and turbo her or maybe supercharge. Lot of work though, would need to lower the compression.
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll try. I should get my pay next week so I'll be heading out to car junkyards and search for a good alternator. Or maybe I'll find someone who's selling a golf mk3 in parts on the internet. I'll be sure to update this thread on how it goes.

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I was dreaming about putting a turbo on mine, but after I found out the costs people would charge I reconsidered. Don't have the tools or a place to do major engine work since I live in an apartment. What I've noticed is that the AEE is a very torquey for such a small engine. I even thought about doing the bike carb mod that people do on AEE polo engines, but again, I'm not willing to put too much money into this car at the moment. If I solve the problems it has at the moment I might change my mind and rebuild the car from the ground up.

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lexhus View Post
    Yeah I was dreaming about putting a turbo on mine, but after I found out the costs people would charge I reconsidered. Don't have the tools or a place to do major engine work since I live in an apartment. What I've noticed is that the AEE is a very torquey for such a small engine. I even thought about doing the bike carb mod that people do on AEE polo engines, but again, I'm not willing to put too much money into this car at the moment. If I solve the problems it has at the moment I might change my mind and rebuild the car from the ground up.
    I got quoted £1500 for a manifold. So that stopped me right there - I know the feeling. Yeah its a very torquey motor for the size - best of both worlds. It will never be a supercar without silly money thrown at it - but it makes for a spirited daily runner with a little work with reasonable fuel economy.

I started tinkering because I was taking it on the motorway and needed some extra grunt. I'm in a similar situation - if I had a workspace, time and money I could get more out of it. I love working with the spanners!

If I can get my hands on a VR6 I might look into running a low boost supercharger on the AEE, see what happens. Plenty of broken BMW minis about - I would expect I need to get my ECU chipped to work the fuel map though. Pipedreams eh?
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Long overdue update:

Replacing the alternator didn't change anything. The car still had a rough idle.
    I've resorted to attempting a temp sensor mod, which is soldering a resistor (potentiometer actually) into the temp sensor to ecu wire, which was unsuccessful, the ECU was showing a lower temperature than the engine actually was at, but the idle rpm wasn't affected much. It still fell from 1100-1200 rpm when cold to 640-740 rpm when warm. With the temp sensor mod the idle was fluctuating between 640 and 740 when the engine was warm and still didn't make idling any smoother, so I removed the resistor.
    After that two of my engine mounts failed, so I had them replaced, and now the idle is absolutely unbearable. The whole front interior is shaking violently at idle. The steering wheel moves up and down about 1.5cm when the car is warmed up and idling. I still have not found a way to increase the idle rpm.
    The car has also developed a fairly loud ticking sound from under the hood, and spark knock when under load.
    Filling up with 98 octane AND adding an octane booster did not fix the spark knock.
    Replacing the spark plugs did not fix the spark knock.
    Retarding the ignition timing did not fix the spark knock, but it did make it slightly quieter.
    I would try to do a seafoam treatment but no one sells seafoam in my country, and I do not know of any alternatives to it.
    In conclusion my engine is ****** and I have no clue what to do to fix it.
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Taking the car to a repair shop is not an option. The amount auto repair shops charge would sum up to enough for an audi a4 1.8T.

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Lets start at the beginning, what are you using to read the fault codes and put the ECU into Basic Settings 04?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    VCDS.
    My computer does not throw any codes. Throttle body adaptation has been done.

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Go into Basic Settings 04, display group 001 and an eight bit code will come up in zone 4, this should be 00000000 and the idle MUST increase to 1140>1400rpm on it's own. If this does not happen, what is the eight bit value?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On my engine the throttle body adaptation is done in basic settings group 001, not 098 or 060 like other cars.
    The 8 bit value is 00000001.

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf Mk3 AEE engine idle RPM icrease. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That is the procedure from the VW workshop manual elsaWin for putting the ECU into Basic Settings fast idle lift for checking the ignition timing, this is done with the engine running. The Basic Settings for the throttle is done with the ignition off and the engine not running. The value 00000001 shows the engine is too cold for the setting to take place.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast