Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello!

Ive got a dash cam I want to install in the new car but the trim is bit better put together than the Citroen it was in, can only one point me in the right direction of getting it hooked up with the wires hidden away? Also a better way to power it than the 12v on the centre console.

Was driving back home today with someone swerving like crazy in front, on the phone i think, and thought to myself I need the camera installed again!

It is this camera, bought it two years ago for £31 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IPDDAME

0 0 0

2. Re: Dash Cam install 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would help if what kind of car it was. Most likely you'll get a 12v supply in the interior lamp area. Would have to fit a cigar socket if you could hide it behind the trim.
    Audi A3 8P 1.6tdi 2010

1 0 0

3. Re: Dash Cam install 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Was posted in the B9 A4 forum, figured that would of been enough aha.

Yeah its a B9 A4. any suggestions on routing the cable. I had a quick look and it doesn't look like the trip just pops off or am i being to gentle?

0 0 0

4. Re: Dash Cam install 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not had the trim off that model but watch for the airbag curtain anchor point if you going down the a pillar. Usually they do just pop off though with a lever behind.
    Audi A3 8P 1.6tdi 2010

0 0 0

5. Re: Dash Cam install 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update

I have ordered a 12v socket (link) and a fuse tap (link). The intention is to install the 12v socket somewhere, probably where the fuse box is, using the fuse tap in the space currently occupied by the cars current sockets to power the camera when the ignition is on. I am just waiting on my 12v socket arriving to give it a bash. I will take some photos for you all and update you.

0 1 0

6. Re: Dash Cam install 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There appears to be a prioritised shut down of systems to preserve battery life. I was hoping to select the right fuse to allow mine to keep running during parking as long as possible without affecting the main systems.

0 0 0

7. Re: Dash Cam install 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok!

So with the wire tap installed in the correct position for the sockets I have an issue. The 12v socket is being supplied power at all times, even when the car is off, the factory sockets power down when the ignition is off. I'm stumped. The fuse box must still be providing power some how.

Here is a video showing how it's hooked up. Ideas?

Audi A4 dash cam issue - YouTube

0 0 0

8. Re: Dash Cam install 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you ever solve this one? The parts diagram shows 3 wires to the socket so it may be possible to get the equivalent of an ACC there?

I've installed a dash cam that's built into a replacement for the rear view mirror cowl but have left it switched off until I can get an 'ACC' supply. I might have a go at getting the panel with the socket out at the weekend...

0 0 0

9. Re: Dash Cam install 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I tapped in to one of the passenger-footwell fuses - Sorry I can't remember exactly which one - however, it was (I think) the fourth row from the top (you will need to discard the plastic trim that covers each bank of fuses), it was definitely the bank that uses the smaller size fuse, it was also an empty socket, so no risk to existing circuits. I used a piggy-back fuse holder, I just tested a few sockets with a multi-meter until I found one that switched on and off with the ignition, there is a right-way and wrong-way round to use the piggy-back fuse holder - this is easy to check (after you have attached an earth wire), pull out the fuse, if this kills the power you are good to go, if not take it out and put the other way around. For the earth I used the side fuse panel (between passenger front door and dashboard trim) - there is a convenient nut you can use. As I said this is from memory, but I think is correct.
    Previous: 1984 80 1.8 Sport, 1989 90 2.2. / 2009 A4 3.0TDi S Line Tiptronic.
    2016 A4 2.0 (252) TFSI S-Line Quat. S-Tronic

0 0 0

10. Re: Dash Cam install 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks - I'll look there.

0 0 0