Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi all,

long time no post, hope you're all well. Got a Beetle here driving me nuts!

It's a 2004 Beetle 1.6, BFS engine code, 75k miles. Original problem was excessive smoke and oil consumption. I stripped down the engine and found worn piston rings. I've fully rebuilt the engine with new rings, seals etc and it no longer smokes and is not using oil. It's been driving fine, apart from an intermittent hunting on idle between 1500-2000rpm.

it has had new spark plugs, HT leads, and I've cleaned the throttle body, adapted it with VCDS and fitted a new MAF (genuine). The latter two items cured a bit of hesitation the car had but the hunting idle remains. The car had been reporting an intermittent MAF implausible signal code every couple of days but that has now gone and not returned. I checked the MAF logging a full throttle second gear run, I was expecting a figure of approx 80 g/s but the figure I got was approx 100 g/s which would appear to fit the theory of the engine running lean. I have not repeated the test since fitting the new MAF. Below are the codes I am left with.

I think the EGR code is a spurious one, I may have disturbed it when checking all over for vac leaks and it hasn't reported that one before, but it is continually reporting the too lean codes.

I've tried my best to diagnose things rather than just change parts and see but I'm running out of ideas, I'm thinking about taking a punt on a new lambda sensor in case it got damaged due to the oil consumption, however the lambda is not reporting any fault codes.

Help!

Paul
    2016 VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI Highline SWB
    2011 Jaguar XFR 100 5.0 V8 Supercharged

0 0 0

2. Re: 2004 Beetle idle hunting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    did you clear all faults after replacing MAF ?
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

3. Re: 2004 Beetle idle hunting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi there, yes all fault codes were erased and learned values reset when I adapted the throttle body. I initially didn't re-adapt the throttle body after cleaning it, that was a mistake, it ran awfully! But much better afterwards. Just didn't cure the hunting.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2004 Beetle idle hunting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Okay I have an update.

ive changed the pre-cat lambda sensor (cost ~£140 from TPS ) and this has greatly improved things. The car is generally smoother, the car smells better (previously smelt a little rich despite the lean fault codes) and the exhaust fumes are a little less puffy, more smooth. The fault code for the car running too lean has gone.

The problem is, the car is still hunting on idle but is showing no fault codes as of now. Periodically I'm seeing a fault code for the power steering pressure F88 switch implausible signal - intermittent, does anyone know if failure of this switch could cause idle hunting between 1000-2000rpm?

Paul

0 0 0

5. Re: 2004 Beetle idle hunting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Another thing!

Does anybody know if there is a measuring block that will show operation of either the F88 power steering pressure switch or the clutch switch? I thought I'd find it in 01-Engine, 08-Measuring blocks, Group 019 showing binary but that doesn't seem to work.

Paul

0 0 0

6. Re: 2004 Beetle idle hunting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Okay, this issue appears to be resolved. I've changed the F88 power steering pressure switch on the power steering pump and the car has been driven for a few days with no sign of any hunting. I am relieved!

The new switch cost about £35 from TPS. Hope this helps someone in future.

Paul

1 1 0

7. Re: 2004 Beetle idle hunting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul b View Post
    Okay, this issue appears to be resolved. I've changed the F88 power steering pressure switch on the power steering pump and the car has been driven for a few days with no sign of any hunting. I am relieved!

The new switch cost about £35 from TPS. Hope this helps someone in future.

Paul
    I'm so glad I found this reply. My wife's has exactly the same symptoms and fault code, which I thought would have no relation to the hunting issue. I've ordered one and have my fingers crossed!

0 0 0

8. Re: 2004 Beetle idle hunting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Normally they show a fault code when they fail.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: 2004 Beetle idle hunting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Normally they show a fault code when they fail.
    Yep, ours had code 16935 Power Steering Pressure Sensor (F88): Implausible Signal.
    Replaced the sensor and hey presto, it idles perfectly

1 1 0

10. Re: 2004 Beetle idle hunting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I'm new to here so not sure if posting in right place.
    I have a 2003 1.6 sr beetle that idles rough and revs up and.
    I've changed the throttle body, maf and pre cat lambda sensor. I've recalibrated the throttle body but still does the same and no fault codes show up. I cant find any vacuum leaks either.
    Any ideas what else it could be.
    Cheers
    Allan

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast