Had the unfortunate task of braking from 40 to 0 within less than a second when somebody in a Fiesta pulled out and cut across my path the other day.. managed to swerve a fair bit which limited the damage on my car.

Still, I'm left with bodywork damage in my front passenger corner (bumper, wing, side mirror, headlight and potentially bonnet all needing to be replaced), as well as perhaps some damage to chassis/suspension (wishbone), and a visible broken brake disc (could be a lot more than just that!)... driver side roof and driver seat airbag also deployed.

Insurance have said it's a write off, but not categorised it as a cat C or cat D as of yet, still waiting on hearing for that. They valued it at approx £4k - it's a 06 plate 2.0 TDI 3 door S Line DSG model - and could want anywhere from between £400 - £900 for me to take it back from them as salvage to attempt to repair myself.

Does it seem economically possible of attempting to do so if I acquire the replacement parts used from breakers/eBay? Bearing in mind, I plan on keeping the car until it dies, and there seems to be no serious mechanical issues or damage to engine, as it started up straight away after the accident and would have even moved on to the recovery truck if the wheel/tyre wasn't stuck to the wing.

My thoughts are that the serious cost will most likely be the replacement of airbags, and re-doing the roof lining and stitching up the drivers seat, unless it's possible to just replace the seat all together... as well as resetting/replacing the airbag module?

Thoughts please?....