1. Front tyre wear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can other B8 estate owners tell me what mileage they have done and what their front tyre wear is like please?

I bought my 150GT estate in December with 4500 miles, and today it's done 11400 miles. When I got it, I noticed the front tyres (Continental 235/45 R18) seemed to have less tread than I thought they might have but didn't really pay much attention as my previous car, an Octavia vRS estate regularly managed between 17k and 20k on Hankook front tyres.
    Anyway, when I turned the steering wheel right round tonight when I parked, I was shocked to see the two fronts are all but bald. The insides are especially bald, almost right through to the... whatever it is, fresh air!

What the hell is going on? I have driven the car much more sedately than I did the vRS, and have checked the pressure every two weeks or so, which has been set at 32.

HELP!

0 0 0

2. Re: Front tyre wear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Continentials are very soft so wear very very quickly and quite uneven, I have 12k on my A4 quattro and I've just had to replace my front Conti's with Dunlop Sport Maxx.

0 0 0

3. Re: Front tyre wear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that. It'll certainly not be Contis I'm ordering from my local tyre fitter tomorrow...

0 0 0

4. Re: Front tyre wear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This was my experience with the Contis my 2009 Passat CC arrived on. With the benefit of online reviews/tests and favourable experience of Nokian winter tyres I replaced the Contis with Nokian summer tyres and have been very pleased by all aspects. Incidentally, those summer Contis were useless in cold slippery conditions that summer tyres on previous vehicles would have coped with. Winter tyres are a revelation on snow and ice.

I swapped the Contis front and rear to maximise wear as a set and managed just under 18k. The summer Nokians were similarly swapped when they went back on at the end of March 2015 and when they came off last Autumn had covered 28k as a set and all were showing at least 4mm across the full tread width. They are less money than Contis but do not benefit from the self sealing technology the Contis have.

Its worth noting that summer tyres wear faster at less than 7 degrees Celsius and that winter tyres wear faster above that temp. I notice you live north of the border so winter tyres could be a good investment in more ways than one.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 0 0

5. Re: Front tyre wear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks gamichea.
    I don't have any experience of Nokian tyres, even though I'm a big fan of Finland and have been many times. I did read recently on the Finnish version of the BBC website (YLE) that Nokian were in trouble for falsifying claims of the economy ratings for their tyres. Nor have I ever used winter tyres - it's not that much colder where I am than in Rutland!
    But I can see that Contis have proved poor with several folk. As I said above, I have had great experiences with my 2013 vRS Octavia estate, which covered 72k miles in under 3 years, and which I used Hankook tyres very happily with, once the originals wore out. I always managed near to 20k miles on the fronts, without any bother.

0 0 0

6. Re: Front tyre wear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've got a GT 150 manual saloon from new last April and my fronts are down to about 4mm after nearly 10k.

Not that impressed really so the same as you guys. I've had various Michelin Primacy, Dunlop Sport and Verdestein on a B5, B6 and now a new B7 (my wife's car which had Conti 3s on from new which actually got to 25k) and they've all done so much better. She's got Primacy 3s on now and loves the ride.

0 0 0

7. Re: Front tyre wear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    inside tyre wear is tracking issue
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

8. Re: Front tyre wear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Two Hankooks now on the front, and tracking / alignment fixed, which was quite noticeably out.
    Hope that's sorted things until about 30k miles now. ��

0 0 0

9. Re: Front tyre wear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    18,500 miles now on my 15 plate 2.0 tdi DSG and I reckon the front tyres are about two-thirds worn, not yet down to the wear bars. I think the DSG makes me a smoother driver; I'm certainly more patient and more inclined to pootle in this car, which is the first auto I've ever had long-term.

0 0 0

10. Re: Front tyre wear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi,
    how do you find the hankooks ...is that evo2 k120 or k117.....how good is the handling,wet braking,cornering and wear.....thanks in advance

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast