Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Water ingress what else could I try?

1. Water ingress what else could I try? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello I've run b5 passats for about eight years now and never before have I not been able to stop the water issues into the rear footwellls. I have a 2003 Passatt tdi 130bhp saloon and so far to stop the ingress of water I have cleared the drain holes in the false bulkhead and silicone sealed round pollen filter.
    I also took rear door cards off and sealed round bottom of window regulator panel-just across the bottom and a inch up the sides of it-
    But still the rear carpets are getting wet. What else is there for me to try? Is there any chance of it getting in from below? Or from the boot area? Or is the likely culprit still going to be door seals and pollen filter? I don't think it's going to be the pollen filter base as I've done these on 4 passats now and always go overboard using plenty of silicone sealant.
    Any advice will be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance and have a nice evening.

0 0 0

2. Re: Water ingress what else could I try? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    I'm not a fan of resealing the pollen filter housing as they are so cheap as new complete with seal .

You need to silicone half way up the brose metal inner door panel.

Ecu housing seal £3 and silicone bonnet cable grommet .

0 0 0

3. Re: Water ingress what else could I try? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply gaz.
    Will have a go at your suggestions to see if that sorts the bugger out.
    Never done the ECU housing seal are they a straight forward job? Is their a how to? Or a sticky?
    Only had the car a few months just working my way through the jobs it requires sorting.
    Thanks again.

0 0 0

4. Re: Water ingress what else could I try? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    usual suspect is the inner door seal, I paid my local bodyshop to do it and its cured it

The front scuttle below windscreen is another favourite to block up, but the front floor would be wet. However plenty vidoes on youtube to show you how to clear it properly

I use a hose to help wash out the dirt and grime in there, not soaking any boxes

I took out my rubber drain holes as it seems to be the problem in my head as it ages, and just let the water drain out in the bigger holes .................... hopefully taking the leaves and grime with it
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

5. Re: Water ingress what else could I try? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Ecu housing seal isn't rocket science .

0 0 0

6. Re: Water ingress what else could I try? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Without wanting to state the obvious, given you've had a lot of Passats in the past...

Have you fully dried the carpets out? Below the carpet is a void as well as a very thick layer of what is essentially a massive sponge.

When my pollen seal gave up, I was still drying the carpets out weeks later.

I propped the carpet up in the passenger footwell with a screwdriver, I put the CCM in a ziplock bag on the topside of the carpet and I lined the footwell (under the carpet) with a towel. Then I drove around for the next three weeks with the heater on max pointed in the footwell.

The water passes to and from the rear footwells via the HVAC channels so parking nose down on a hill helps too.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0