Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob69 View Post
    And people do help out others here, if they have knowledge and experience of completing a particular job or info on how to resolve a problem. Surely bad advice is worse than no advice at all though, some bloke telling you subframe mounts are a doddle and you'll be off to the pub by lunchtime and here's you with the car still in bits on a Sunday night cursing the minute you jacked the thing up to start the job!
    Rob yes I totally agree....honestly I've never really had high hopes that many people have had the time or patience to tackle subframe mounts....actually I've still no idea what's involved but I'm going to find out and I'm going to do the job...later in the summertime.
    Obviously with anything I'd prefer no advice rather than to be led down the garden path.

I asked for help on something recently....something not at all challenging, something that I've read many others proclaim that is easy and they've done the job in a cinch.....and yet where are these people when I'm politely asking for guidance.....twiddling their thumbs. The question was regarding the simple job of changing ARB links. All faith was not lost as a couple of nice people took the time to offer advice...but my question has still remained unanswered.

I'm gonna sign up with some other forums as this one seems to be more as lynall says, about in car electronics and wheels....oh and sponsors touting their business. Where have all the hardcore home mechanics gone that I grew up with in the 80's?......down the toilet along with Halfords now mostly selling tents and f***ing bicycles ....

My grandma was from Shetland....I'll go up there someday.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A6 3.0 tdi quattro front subframe mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    It does vary from model to model and of course age, as to what folks take on themselves, it seems the newer bigger models create less discussion regarding the 'mechanics' probably due to them working reliably (most of the time) and owners preferring to return to dealerships for the routine work to keep the book stamped up, but they do seem to create lots of threads regarding the jewellery (mmi etc). Further down the food chain where I exist (13 year old b5 passat, just flew through mot yesterday btw!) there is a lot more mechanical and diagnostic chat, same in the older A4 and Golf forums.
    I agree that the landy forums have a lot more up to their armpits type guys but then you'd have to be, running a disco or defender! How many A4 or passat owners have to fit a new chassis or take on serious welding and fab jobs??!

Ferry to Shetland is expensive if taking the motor, cheaper as foot passenger and hire once you're there! I'm back in tyneside for my sins atm.

1 0 0

3. Re: Audi A6 3.0 tdi quattro front subframe mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Yep agreed......I'm a trained bike mechanic which doesn't help much and am from a background of the great Mazda rx7 fd3s which I sadly had to sell to get my A6.... the fd3s gang have to learn most things themselves because regular mechanics have no idea about the Wankel engine.

Ferry to Shetland eh....my dad still remembers the days before a ferry or plane when you'd have to bounce around in the North Sea taking a flat bottomed transport boat to get there!!! Cheers Rob!

1 1 0

4. Re: Audi A6 3.0 tdi quattro front subframe mounts 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro-Charlie View Post
    Rob yes I totally agree....honestly I've never really had high hopes that many people have had the time or patience to tackle subframe mounts....actually I've still no idea what's involved but I'm going to find out and I'm going to do the job...later in the summertime.
    Obviously with anything I'd prefer no advice rather than to be led down the garden path.

I asked for help on something recently....something not at all challenging, something that I've read many others proclaim that is easy and they've done the job in a cinch.....and yet where are these people when I'm politely asking for guidance.....twiddling their thumbs. The question was regarding the simple job of changing ARB links. All faith was not lost as a couple of nice people took the time to offer advice...but my question has still remained unanswered.

I'm gonna sign up with some other forums as this one seems to be more as lynall says, about in car electronics and wheels....oh and sponsors touting their business. Where have all the hardcore home mechanics gone that I grew up with in the 80's?......down the toilet along with Halfords now mostly selling tents and f***ing bicycles ....

My grandma was from Shetland....I'll go up there someday.
    I think you will find most forums pretty much the same and even some of the land rover ones have sponsors with their cagey answers with land rover owners I think you have to be a little cagey as they are devious sods!

Where I work theres quite a few of the lads who pcp their cars and others who wont work on their own cars and we are truck mechanics!
    Me I detest paying anybody to do anything on anything I own, CH boiler failure,rad leak, modify plumbing,stud wall,plaster ceiling,wiring,fit solar panels,service,engine out etc etc I do it, the wife will tell you theres never any rush But I do get on it sooner or later

I also think a lot of the people who done kerb side motors either moved on or gave up as the tech got to much.

Wasnt long ago when people were saying these new fangled ecu cars you cant swap engines etc etc and thats just what people are doing people always find a way.

Not forgetting as said above people will happily buy an A4 but shy away from an A6/8 as they see them as exec cars so assume expensive to fix.

1 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123