Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

Just posting this in case some find it useful.

Took the plunge and got a separate SIM card on a data only package from Vodafone as I am with them for my mobile. Paying £20 a month inc vat for 10gig of data, with a £160 cashback now. Why do telecoms do these weird deals. (Don't know if its a good deal but best I could get, sure others can do better but at least its a reference point for some)

Anyway, plugged it in to the slot in the glove box, fired it up expecting no end of grief to get the SIM to register etc but nope connected straight away and within 2 mins was using all the features. Is it worth it?

Love: Wi-fi spot, Google Map, Traffic updates, petrol prices, weather, Parking info - visit lots of new places for work each month in city centres so this is useful to me.

Neutral: Twitter (don't use), News (have radio), Train times and plane times - Don't use enough to be worth it for me, but can see its good for others

It all seems pretty quick and reliable (4g network) and no issues with screen flicker etc. I also love the ability to send my following days appointments to the car from my laptop the night before so in the morning I can just leave the hotel (well Premier Inn who am I kidding!) and go, and not have to sit there loading the addresses. Sending them to the car the night before also somehow helps structure my day for me mentally. Overall I guess its worth it, BUT if I have got my sums wrong and start chewing more than the 10k of data so I have to turn it off after 2 weeks of the month then it won't be so good, as the cost will soon rack up..

No doubt some will be quick to tell me I got a bad deal on the data etc etc, and maybe I have but it works for me at the moment. Will post in a month or so once I get the first bill!

Hope this helps someone,

Cheers,

JB

1 0 0

2. Re: Audi Connect Data Package 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing JB - refresh my memory, do you also need to pay the Audi Connect fee for this as well, something like £300?

That does all sound useful, but not something I'd ever get the benefit out of unfortunately, so CarPlay suits me fine.
    B9 A4 S Line 2.0 TDI 190 Daytona Grey

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi Connect Data Package 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC_OK View Post
    Thanks for sharing JB - refresh my memory, do you also need to pay the Audi Connect fee for this as well, something like £300?

That does all sound useful, but not something I'd ever get the benefit out of unfortunately, so CarPlay suits me fine.
    No the Audi Connect "fee" was thrown in with the purchase of the car for 3 years, and talking to the sales guys they said they have never charged for it and cant really see a time when they would be able to as no one would pay it. (I certainly wouldn't and I like it!)They give it a "fee" to make it seem more valuable I think, more of a marketing thing I guess...

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi Connect Data Package 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh ok, I wonder if I have it then? I definitely recall it had the (large) fee but you got a 3 month trial with the s-line. It did seem daft as you still had to pay for the sim and data!

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi Connect Data Package 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB72 View Post
    No the Audi Connect "fee" was thrown in with the purchase of the car for 3 years, and talking to the sales guys they said they have never charged for it and cant really see a time when they would be able to as no one would pay it. (I certainly wouldn't and I like it!)They give it a "fee" to make it seem more valuable I think, more of a marketing thing I guess...
    That's interesting. I have wondered what will happen on the 1st June (3 months after my car was delivered). Must admit, I wouldn't pay extra for it, as I don't get that much benefit from it.
    A4 (B9) Ultra Sport. 150ps Diesel S-tronic. Glacier White

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi Connect Data Package 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ahh ok, I wonder if I have it then? I definitely recall it had the (large) fee but you got a 3 month trial with the s-line. It did seem daft as you still had to pay for the sim and data!
    It's free for three years if you got the technology pack, 3 months free if not. Looks like they will start providing free SIMs and data for the connect features in MY17 cars with the option to then pay for extra data on those SIMs for using wifi hotspot etc.

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi Connect Data Package 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a spare SIM with 6GB data /m that I was planning on popping in the car when it arrives on tuesday, are you saying the connect features will only work for 3 months then stop?

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi Connect Data Package 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, pretty sure that's the case, unless you a) bought a the tech pack or b) paid the £300 fee

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi Connect Data Package 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, pretty sure that's the case, unless you a) bought a the tech pack or b) paid the £300 fee
    In the 'Audi Mobile' app it shows the connect service licence expires 10 April 2017 (I activated the app on the 10th), we will see what happens this time next year I suppose? The car is about to arrive, so once its all hooked up I will see whats going on.

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi Connect Data Package 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is that the Audi Companion app? I'll download it!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast