Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    So you got Elsie working... Lets make sure we are on the same page (literally), a 2011 with a CFFB engine and stop/start?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: No power to the ECU 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Correct. I think I just wrote out the whole flow starting from pin69 you mentioned. If it matches the document you send I'll post it up here. I got a spare relay today to try as I just want to rule it out. I'm fairly sure he said the positive side of the relay is there and it's just the switched earth missing which to me can only be the ecu, the relay or the short wire connecting the two. All of which are meant to be fine.

I actually enjoyed doing it too

I checked a 2011 Passat 1.6 Tdi and the same relay location is marked with 100 relay which means I can't borrow it for parts to test

0 0 0

3. Re: No power to the ECU 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok so I can't wait to verify this. Quite proud of myself. I got some spare used relays and done a proper relay test first by testing full continuity.

Here is how I see the circuit causing the problem based on the info given.

T94 plug pin 69 ( black and gray) goes to t40 pin 6 then connection 3/86 on the relay. The other side of the relay providing the feed 4/85 goes to t40/15 (red and green). This then goes to t94 plug again on pin 92. This pin is shared with something else and is fed from Sb13 10a fuse.

I don't need to worry about the wires powering the ecu from the relay as those work when the relay is manually switched

0 0 0

4. Re: No power to the ECU 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes, T94/69 at current track 72 to current track 40 at T40/6 (swartz/grau) is the earth command line, it is nice to know someone else likes reading VAG current flow diagrams. If there is continuity on that wire from J317/3 to T94/69 then it must be an internal ECU fault IF manually triggering the relay with an improvised earth fires up the ECU.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: No power to the ECU 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Before i let them fix up a relay from the ignition feed to get round this i would like to see for meself;

1. Positive current to pin 4/85 at J371 when the ignition is on (this rules our fuse and power issues)
    2. Swap out of the relay with another one i have bought and FULLY tested
    3. Test continuety from pin 3 at J317 back to T94/69 at the ECU

Im fairly sure that this is a wiring issue. The replacement ECU performed in the exact same manner, granted it was a refurb unit but still. Ive been convinced from the start it was wiring or the relay. Are there any other earths going to the ECU to worry about in this case? I mean the ECU might not earth out the relay if it has no earth itself or have i misunderstood that one.

Its probably worth noting that this car was involved in a frontal motorcycle accident 4 years ago and in last august the gearbox was out on it. My uncles A3 had the gearbox out and after had limp mode issues which was down to a stretched wire when the gearbox was removed.

/Jon

1 0 0

6. Re: No power to the ECU 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

7. Re: No power to the ECU 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The plot thickens......

The mechanic spent some more time on it today and I hope he was going through my print outs but it seems he stuck with his Bosch drawings. In any case I was told that the earth was switching now and that power on the other side was not there. Eh? So now there is a short wire from the 10a fuse in f13 going to the main relay. All codes have cleared and the cars fine. I'm itching to carry on with this myself to see if I can find the fault but I best leave it for a bit now.

I'm going to do the service myself instead now.

0 0 0

8. Re: No power to the ECU 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Most people cannot get on with the VAG wiring diagrams, you have got it immediately, it took me years until it clicked. One of my friends who is an extremely skilled and intelligent mechanic (yes, they do exist!) is totally foxed by them. From what he found and using the VAG diagram it should be an immediate response to check for power at fuse SB13 as the feed from it barely leaves the engine bay electronics box before it divides off to the ECU and then straight back up to the electronics box, the wires literals goes out and almost straight back in as the use the same 40 pin connector. No power to J317 socket 4 but power out of fuse Sb13 means lift out the box and take a look at the junction which is called D78. Taking the box out is a bit of a pain, you have to disconnect all the SA cartridge fuse mounts and take off the bus bar, then wind out the T30 Torx and it lifts itself out of the connectors which you can then get to and and turn over.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: No power to the ECU 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    How are you getting on with this? I put the latest Elsie on my new work PC today and whilst looking for something else about 1.6 TDI EGR coolers I found a TPI2031123/1 which deals with a problem with the ECU relay in the engine E box where the grip of the connector inside the e box is insufficient and causes engine shut down, the solution is to replace the e box! It is the subject of a "workshop campaign" which also means a recall, reference 97Y6, ask your dealer. I hope you can read it, this is the cut down version!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: No power to the ECU 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's great thanks. I could zoom in and read it no problem. To be honest, I bought a power probe (not needed I know) and have just not dared touch it. The thought the of taking that box out and breaking something else is worrying. Especially as I've spent neat £500 for a short length of wire. I even fetched the 'tone and probe' kit from my desk at work to trace the wires. I will for sure call the dealer and ask about, again thanks so much for thinking of it!

i did however complete my service on it including the fuel filter which feast good for doing it.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast