Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    In some cases you have to go genuine as no one makes an alternative but in the case of as many parts as possible, I try to buy from who I know to be the OE supplier (often the old part helps you find this out) or from a company who is an OE supplier, so ATE or TRW respectively. TRW tends to be easier to get and the quality is beyond reproach. One point though, I never ignore genuine parts, sometimes you can get a shock and find the alternative part cost the same or even more and in other cases, such as springs, almost all aftermarket parts are a compromise.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Seriously iffy brakes! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher.
    I've asked Ian to source the Ate or in case of difficulty, the TRW.
    I'll let you know how he gets on and how the car enjoys me ragging it around THAT left hander a dozen or so times
    The funny thing is, when I try the same thing in my old Disco, it just creaks a bit and slides the **** end out, alarmingly so if I do it when I haven't topped the rear tyre up...

0 0 0

3. Re: Seriously iffy brakes! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher,
    Ian was too busy to fit the master cylinder, so the cheeky sod suggested I use his ramp and swap it myself...
    So, on Thursday I did just that. I couldn't get the ATE one so we went for the second best, the TRW model.
    The results were good and bad. The good is that I now have the correct master cylinder fitted.
    The bad is that it had no effect what so ever on the iffy brakes front.
    Plan B is to whip off the ABS ECU tomorrow(weather permitting) and box it up and send it away to be checked.
    I don't suppose you could give me a list of what cars the old 'extremely low mileage' Bosch master cylinder is fitted on? I now have one in stock that I'd like to shift.
    Incidentally, when I compared the two side by side, the Bosch one was much heavier, appearing to be made of steel whereas the TRW looked like cast ally, or something similar and the Bosch one had metal bolts plugging the bottom two unused outlets, whereas the TRW had the bottom two outlets undrilled or tapped.
    I also compared the length of the part that sticks out on the bottom(back?), where I assume the pin on the end of the brake pedal pushes in. It was the same on both.
    To be honest, apart from the material, weight and the bottom unused outlets, they were externally identical.

0 0 0

4. Re: Seriously iffy brakes! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You are bleeding the system using a pressure bleeder and with the system in Basic Settings mode aren't you?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Seriously iffy brakes! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Erm...Yes and what now?
    Basic settings mode?
    Please explain...
    The method I used was about 12psi at the master cylinder and then open the bleed nipples. NSR, OSR, NSF then OSF.
    It would be great if I am bleeding it wrong
    I haven't removed the ECU yet as the smallest socket I have is 3/16ths and it is too big. I've got a 4, 4.5, 5, & 5.5mm coming.

0 0 0

6. Re: Seriously iffy brakes! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    As your car is a 2005 model, you will have the Bosch 8.0 system, this is bled at 2 Bar and what you have done so far is only classed as the initial purge but you don’t have to do the Basic Settings function on the Bosch pump, I thought you would have an ITT Mk60 pump. The order is right rear, left rear, right front and left front. You may have some air trapped in there still so I would also do the pedal pump method. The official way to do this is for a person to press the pedal and keep it pressed whilst another person opens the nipple and closes it again before the pedal reaches the floor but if using a pressure bleeder you can close it with the pedal down, just don’t let the pedal return with the nipple open. I would do this five times per circuit. Then you take the car for a test drive where you need to stop hard enough to get the ABS to fully operate at least twice and after this it may be necessary to re-bleed.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12