Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ladies & Gents,

Approximately a few months (a year) ago, I got married.

A few minutes later, my (now) wife mentioned the dreaded B word and preventative measures that had been previously in place, were taken out of service.

Bolstered by the knowledge that it would take "at least 6 months to a year" for us to conceive, we set about thoroughly enjoying our honeymoon last year.

As we are now approaching the final 8 weeks of pregnancy and, having 'grown up' on/with VWAF, I thought it timely to invite all the mature (and not so mature) gentlemen (and gentlewomen should they so wish) of VWAF to impart unto me their pearls of wisdom in relation to this new and unknown territory.

Mercifully, my boss has already provided me with the essential owners' handbook

So, VWAF - what say ye?

What are the top 5 things to do and not to do?

What would you, if given the chance, do differently?

And most importantly, what are the timing belt intervals on these things?

TIA

NB - I reserve the right to close and/or delete this thread/members should it go in a direction not to my liking.

0 6 0

2. Re: Somebody got us pregnant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    congratulations. i am sure you will enjoy being a parent. I am not allowed to have kids but i have a selection of nieces and nephews ranging from a few years old to a bit older. some of them are nice, some not so, but, if you train them like a dog, to sit and fetch, then thats good, they enjoy it and will fetch things for you, and also sit quietly waiting for the next command. this worked wonders for me with a niece, but for some strange reason her mother, mrs Z's sister didn't think much of it and hasn't actually spoken to us for 3 years now. thats ok though, never really did like her much. so yeah, not much helpful advice from me. i fix cars not kids.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0

3. Re: Somebody got us pregnant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    My two are teenagers now so it has been a long time.

As to for to do lists, there aren't any, you'll find your way surprisingly easy.

The first six months are tricky due to the lack of sleep and all they do is cry, drink milk and make it come out the other end. After that and when sleep starts happening, it gets better and better.

The best advice if your family(s) is local is to gladly take any help offered.

Congratulations by the way, you will never have any money or free time ever again.....

0 1 0

4. Somebody got us pregnant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    1. Don't listen to any ones advice!
    2. If you get stressed with a crying baby put it down in its cot walk away for 10 seconds (or more) saner heads will then prevail
    3. Everyone's different, there is no right or wrong, breastfeeding, use of dummies, when to wean etc are all emotive subjects, do what works for you and more importantly your bundle of joy
    4. Your life is about to change totally. For the better. Embrace it and get your work life balance right so you can spend the time.
    5. Rent more iCloud space and fill it with loads of photos and videos. They grow up too quick.

You're a lucky guy, I know this as I have a 19 month old baby girl, toddler now and she has transformed us and our lives for the better! Enjoy!!

0 2 0

5. Re: Somebody got us pregnant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    As above + estate car with leather seats.

0 3 0

6. Re: Somebody got us pregnant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pregnant? You kept that one quiet.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 1 0

7. Re: Somebody got us pregnant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Congratulations!

This.....

Quote Originally Posted by L3nnox View Post
    1. Don't listen to any ones advice!
    And this.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob69 View Post
    As above + estate car with leather seats.
    Are perhaps the only two pieces of advice that you need. Plus.....

Develop a thick skin. If you thought people were status conscious about their cars, just wait until you mix with other parents. The competitiveness and desire to establish a social hierarchy and pecking order though children becomes overwhelming for some people - they just can't help it. Previously, their social anxiety was played out through cars, hence the rise of the 4x4 as a statement of how perfectly their life is progressing.

Add in the perfect child, perfectly parented by perfect people living in perfect houses with perfectly shiny cars parked outside. The never-ending reports on little Tarquin or Jacintha's first smile, word, crawl, walk, nursery, after school club, thesis on nuclear fission at the age of 3, not to mention fashion sense from 3 weeks old onwards will be deafening and designed to push you down the order. You can spot the ones to avoid through their endless efforts to micro-manage their child's social life well into senior school.

And as for choosing a "cool" pushchair, nightmare. If you just get a basic stroller (the pushchair equivalent of a Ford Focus) you'll be committing parenticide. You really do need a three wheeled one with 22" alloys and off road tyres. It mounts the curb so much more easily.

And I speak not as a financially destitute saddo with no kids.......but as a comfortable, father of two uni-age boys having occasionally been stuck in the middle class competitive sport of raising kids. I'm eternally thankful that we didn't have Facebook when my kids were young - it seems to be the main battleground for parental supremacy and self-promotion through offspring.

Seriously, they're not all like that just avoid the ones that are!

Ignore everyone else, do it your way and above all ENJOY every minute of it!

1 2 0

8. Re: Somebody got us pregnant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    on the subject of pushchairs, i once had to push a child in a pushchair about a mile along a local bit of our coastal path. a bit precarious it but made harder by a stupid 3 wheeled pushchair. no no, make sure you get one with 4 largish tyres on it. better still just carry the bloody child, its a lot easier.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 2 0

9. Re: Somebody got us pregnant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Pregnant? You kept that one quiet.
    He would.

And so would I if I'd got pregnant, not least because of the hordes of reporters outside the door eager to snatch a scoop with the first bloke in the world to be up the duff.

1 2 0

10. Re: Somebody got us pregnant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    And I'm reminded why I love VWAF so much - you do make me chuckle sometimes

The famileh vehicle was chosen a few months ago, we're currently the proud owners of a Honda Jazz (kept that quiet too) - it takes a bit of effort on the motorway but for everything the pregnant one does in and around the city, it's perfect. It's also got a boot that swallows loads like <insert obvious reference here> and magic seats(!). No leather seats though so we'll just have to cover them in cling film.

You'll be relieved to hear we've a stroller and a pushchair - I'm reliably informed there's a difference and mercifully, I didn't pay for either (I didn't steal them, before anybody makes assumptions!). Both have 4 round wheels and I can almost fit in the stroller myself so I intend to keep that for when I'm no longer sane enough to drive.

We also have a baby-wearing-sling-tshirt-device - buying that was our first taste of the middle-class snobbery Gonzo has referred to.

The only thing that's slightly concerned me recently is the mention of no sex for a period of 4>6 weeks after birth and when asked "would it be possible to have a courtesy wife during the repairs?", both the midwife and wife seemed to dismiss the very idea!

1 2 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast