Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any update on this?

I've been thinking more about getting tuned ECU, but to get the full benefit of tuned ECU I should also upgrade my fuel injector pump, nozzles, and turbo from factory maybe? Also an intercooler?

My car has become a bit of a long term project...
    '11 VW B7 Passat Estate 2.0TDi CFFB (Current)
    '98 VW T4 Transporter 2.5TDi ACV (Previous)
    '99 Audi B5 A4 Avant 1.9TDi AFN (Previous)

0 0 0

2. Re: Thinking about a TDI remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, no real update at the moment. The one fella that did seem to know what he was talking about asked me to photo the ecu or give him the numbers on the outside of it. I've been away on holiday and haven't got round to doing it yet. I've looked around a lot more on the net and I read that anything with my engine pre year 2000 will need a chip and solder. So even when I do get round to pulling the outer cover off the ecu, I don't hold out much hope of it being the type that can tuned via the OBD. If I'm lucky and it is the OBD type I'll get it done, if it's chip and solder I won't bother as the price is so much more and the gains are less.

0 0 0

3. Re: Thinking about a TDI remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is one little bit in the description I don't like.
    A little more for the tuning software : It is designed for maximum horse power and torque without damaging the turbo or the engine! The maps are reworked professionally, with many many work!
    The boost is raised up to 1.15 bar hold and about 1.3 bar peak which is the maximum for this turbo
    I have a 1998 AFN and the boost pressure is 2.1 bar peak and 1.9 hold. If the chips in the ECU were only in sockets I might have a go at decrypting the original MAP myself!

0 0 0

4. Re: Thinking about a TDI remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I still haven't pulled the cover off the ecu yet. I think the better option is to buy another car. Well what I mean is, keep the Audi as it is as my main vehicle and instead of trying to map it I will leave it alone and but something else to go fast in.

0 0 0

5. Re: Thinking about a TDI remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Depends what you call fast some say 130 bhp is , lol , and what type of car you want.

0 0 0

6. Re: Thinking about a TDI remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I always have a company van that I use all day, I bring it home on a night too as I'm field based. Monday to Friday it's very rare I even use my own car, it's mostly weekend use and I do low miles so in the past I have always bought something a bit interesting. Most of the cars I've had have been stuff like big Jaguars, and a few quick Toyotas, celicas and Supras. I just bought the avant as a run around but ended up loving it. It's amazing on fuel and I can fit all sorts in the back of it. I was going to get a map then some nice wheels. But I'm thinking by the time I spend £300 on the chip swap and a few hundred on wheels I could have another car. I'm thinking something like an early 90s MR2.

0 0 0

7. Re: Thinking about a TDI remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Turbo ?

Also consider a Nissan 200 SX S14 .

0 0 0

8. Re: Thinking about a TDI remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think that's a fair thought Steve; if you don't use your A4 much and was cheap to buy then maybe invest on something more interesting. It all depends how you perceive your A4 to be worth.

I dug up my ECU yesterday and turns out to be a solder job for chip tuning. I'm thinking of getting chip sockets and tuned chips and search for local electrician who can solder the socket for me. That way I can have the option of swapping the tuned chip with original if I want to revert back.

I don't know what the cost of chip sockets (my ECU has two chips to swap for tuning) and labour charge for soldering, but I'm sure it'll be less than £300 to get it done at a "performance tuning" company.

I'll keep everyone posted on the other thread I started...
    '11 VW B7 Passat Estate 2.0TDi CFFB (Current)
    '98 VW T4 Transporter 2.5TDi ACV (Previous)
    '99 Audi B5 A4 Avant 1.9TDi AFN (Previous)

0 0 0

9. Re: Thinking about a TDI remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The A4 is so useful and amazing on fuel which is why I want to keep it long term. It's great for long trips, both my family and my partners live 100 miles away so it comes in handy for making visits nice and chip. Also my lasses car is a bmw so it likes so go sideways in winter and if the weather is bad with snow or ice, she can leave her car and take my Audi to work as I'm in my work van.

Gaz I would love a turbo MR2 or s13/s14 but both are out of my price range at the moment, I'll have a £1000 at the very most. Early 90s non turbo MR2s can be had from £500 upwards.

Defever I will follow your afn thread and see how you get on, good luck.

0 0 0

10. Re: Thinking about a TDI remap 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After a long time I finally got my car chipped. I scoured a chip mail order via eBay from the Czech Republic. Then I found a guy about one hour from me who said he was happy to open my Ecu and solder it in for me. I had the day off today so went and got it done. Performance wise it makes a noticeable difference. It's cold and slightly damp today and the car is wheel spinning like crazy when I floor it in 2nd gear, and it never did that before. It's worked out good value too, the total price for the chip and the soldering work came in at £55. I just need to use it over the next few weeks and see what difference it makes to fuel economy, it claims to give better mpg under normal driving conditions.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast