Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Fox Reliability

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Fox Reliability 
    alanb9013 Guest
    I am considering buying an Urban Fox 1.2L. Does anyone have any experience with these cars? I loved the test drive, but I am not sure about their reliability.

Regards Alan

0 0 0

2. Re: Fox Reliability 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had one since July Alan but I've only done 600 miles to date. So far, so good. Very nippy and easy to park.

The one thing I hate about it is the lcd clock/instruments. During the daytime it's hard to read when going through shade. The red dials stick out like s sore thumb. At night it's perfect.

0 0 0

3. Re: Fox Reliability 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have owned a new Urban 1.2 Fox since May 2006.
    Done 11,000 miles since.
    Problems: Key fob not operating central locking properly.
    Front n/s electric window slow to move up & down.
    LED figures for clock, mileage etc occasionally lose part of their
    numbers, but return.

1.2 engine is best, revs sweetly, gear changes are great.
    Keeps up with all traffic despite engine size.
    Performance is adequate for one or two up.
    Good visability from high seating.
    Well-screwed together.
    Forget Air-con. VW alloy wheels improve staid appearance.
    Delighted with my purchase to add to the Golf & Sharan stable.

0 0 0

4. Re: Fox Reliability 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had the same problem with my mileometer. Reset itself to zero!

I wish they had included a water temperature gauge. Now winter is coming on how on earth is one supposed to know when the engine is warm enough to switch on the heater controls?

I am beginning to hate the red needles with a passion. Maybe I'll try to figure a way to have the clock back light switched on all the time.

Not to grumble, it's a nice car.

0 0 0

5. Re: Fox Reliability 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In my experience the coolant in the 1.2 engine heats up quickly - so heater controls can be used within 2-3 miles of a cold start.
    I don't mind the red needles, but I find the clock time and mileage very difficult to read when underway owing to their small size and lack of contrast with background.
    Tall passengers are amazed with the generous leg and head room in the back.
    I use Castrol Edge 5-30w oil and the engine uses virtually none between 7,500 mile oil changes.
    Rear seat belts need to be put in their side keepers when not in use - otherwise they can rattle against the trim.
    The high seating adjustment is comfortable for my slightly arthritic hips and knees - anno domini creeps on !
    A very good value and underated city car in my opinion that is equally at home in the countryside - as all foxes are !
    Group 1 insurance is useful for my eldest son (18) - who passed his driving test in it.

0 0 0

6. Re: Fox Reliability 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good feedback Peter. Ditto cranky knees etc.

Isn't the Castrol Edge very expensive? I've been trying to find an alternative.

Regards.

0 0 0

7. Smile Re: Fox Reliability 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes Castrol Edge is expensive.
    Halfords sell it for £42.99 per 4 litre container or £10.75 for 1 litre bottles.
    Fox takes 3 litres.
    5w-30 Edge replaces Castrol Formula SLX Longlife II and fully complies with VW 504 00 and 507 00 requirements.
    I used to use Millers oils for the diesel Golf and Sharan, until it became hard to obtain locally.
    Now the Fox, Golf and Sharan all use Castrol Edge 5w-30 for convenience as does mother-in law's Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDi.
    Oil changes (and filter) are limited to one per year with no one vehicle exceeding 12,000 miles in a year. I am confident that with this (albeit expensive) oil engine wear and tear is kept to a minimum.

The Fox tyres are Dunlop Sport 2000 and are wearing well so far.

The good thing about the 1.2 is that it has a chain driven camshaft which avoids expensive cambelt changes. Oil needs to be clean though as I gather missed oil changes can lead to the camshaft seizing owing to blocked oilways and the chain drive snapping.

I borrowed a 1.4 Fox from the VW garage the other day whilst the Sharan was having its annual service. The engine, although tight after only 600 miles from new, was not nearly as sweet as the 3 cylinder 1.2.

0 0 0

8. Re: Fox Reliability 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My girlfriend drives a 1.2 Urban and we live in the city and its great, easy to park, smooth controls and sharp brakes when somebody runs out in front of you, which happens all the time here. Had a drive in it myself, I normally drive a Renault Clio and I would give my right arm for a Fox, too bad the Clio is just a car I drive or I might trade it in.

0 0 0

9. Re: Fox Reliability 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not impesssed with my 1.2L Fox's fuel consumption ... only 40mpg on a long motorway drive ... apart from this it is a very reliable car and bigger inside than my previous P reg Polo ... And the radio is good quality ... I have been using premium unleaded petrol but as consumption appears to be rather high will comparing fuel costs when using ordinary unleaded ... the engine idle with premium unleaded seems a bit lumpy ... will be interesting to see if ordinary unleaded makes the lumpiness worse. The road noise can be a bit distracting so am considering having noise insulation fitted ... my second to last car was a Vauxhall Carlton which was so quiet inside.

dunk

0 0 0

10. Re: Fox Reliability 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have not measured the fuel consumption of my 1.2 but I suspect it is around the 40-42 mpg mark during fast cross-country runs. However, I can forgive this (slightly low gearing) for the sweet combination of the engine and gearbox.
    Tyre/road noise is noticeable but I get used to it - although it may become tedious on a journey of several hours. But for a £6-7K car the road noise is acceptable and it would be unfair to compare it with much more expensive hatchbacks and saloons.
    Remember that any added sound-deadening material adds weight.
    The base of the "A" pillar is wide so extra care is needed at junctions, but one soon gets used to this.
    After 11,000 miles since May 2006 I am still delighted with the Fox.
    I still see very few on the road - anyone know how countrywide sales are going ?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast