Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    ...and so modest.
    On occasion, one must blow one's own trumpet.

1 2 0

2. Re: Greasy haze on window interiors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Denial, a bad thing.

I knew deep down it was the matrix but didn't want to admit so embarked upon a fantasy about it not being the matrix and somehow about the stuff I use to clean the leather....

It had been going for about three years but didn't show or display any of the classic signs of a matrix failure, namely the sweet pungent smell of hot coolant and no leaks. That is until I saw the drop of coolant on the car mat, it suddenly got a lot worse.

As for the mayhem, as I've said this is a job only for the bravest DIY'ers.

Some more pics to feast your eyes upon...

And once the dash top was out, the crash bar was out and almost every single component 'undone' the heater was out. Then the heater box had to be taken to pieces...

I was interested in the aux electric heater element which piggy backs on the water matrix, it was soaking wet. These are mythical things that nobody really knows how they work...

Scariest bit was the fuse boxes and relay carriers

All cleaned

And whie I was in there, I fitted a new A/C evaporator core for good measure. Whilst the A/C was de-gassed I also took the opportunity to renew the condensor out the front and the receiver drier on the A/C system. I used Nissens items who are a renowned Dutch company making cooling system parts, it was a Nissens matrix also.

The A/C system seals were refreshingly cheap from VW but I had to buy a can of PAG46 oil to 'wet' the seals upon re-assembly. The reason for the additional A/C work was that there was a slow leak which required me to get the system topped up about twice a year so the 'hard' A/C components got replaced. There are only two things left that the A/C leak could now be on and they are the hoses and the compressor seals. Now I know how it all comes apart, if it is still leaking, I know what to do...

PAG46 oil

I love the old bus, have had it a long time and intended to keep it for a lot longer....

0 1 0

3. Re: Greasy haze on window interiors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Maybe I should continue (I'm sure I started one) a build thread for the car? Thing is I don't do the nobber 'modding' thing at all, I simply maintain it to the highest possible standards. Saying that I recently fitted a set of Eibachs and Bilstein B4's to it along with doing a bit of a refresh, taster pics below...

And yes I did have a Final Edition A6 that got written off and that was in very good condition. That got smashed up in Nov 2009, how time flies !

Audi 1, Merc 0 but both still write offs although at the scene the A6 came off much better.

0 1 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12