Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Again!

Hoping someone might have some ideas with a brake / side light issue I'm having. As usual I have done a search of the forum and found some similar posts but want to just check on some specifics before getting cold and wet trying to fix it!

So, I've a 2008 Altea Reference Sport 1.6. The rear drivers side brake light has gone a couple of times in past couple of years but has always been cured by a simple bulb change. It did seem to go more often than seemed normal and always only on the drivers side, but I'd put it down to "one of those things".

Anyway, a couple of months ago the bulb out warning light came on and I lost the brake light, but the tail light was OK (not the bulb then?). Before I got round to changing the bulb the issue "self resolved" (love it when that happens!).

Since then the problem has been intermittent with long periods with no problem. This weekend I've lost both the brake light AND taillight, so today I changed the bulb, but it hasn't sorted the problem.

I've read on the forum you can get rusting or corrosion in the actual holder and I will check this again tomorrow but I have to say I didn't see any evidence of this when I changed the bulb. I also cleaned the contacts but no improvements. Tomorrow I'll try changing over the clusters to see if it is the bulb holders but I fear it will be something more problematic (because it always is when I've got no money :censored.

I will add that it does seem to happen more when the weather has been wet (I guess it doesn't rain much in Spain?) but I wouldn't categorically link the fault with wet weather (this weekend we were in Devon where it was torrential and we had to go through several flooded roads).

So, any ideas? Is there anything I can check before having to take it to the garage? I'm assuming not fuse as this would presumably put all the lights out? I'm also hopeful it won't be a break in the loom as the indicator works fine and presumably the wires are bundled together? (Though I did read on here about the wiper motor on someone's Altea gradually cutting through the loom!).

Your thoughts and advice are most welcomed. Sorry it's a bit long!

Thanks

NICK

Sent from my BiPhone using Twitatwat

0 0 0

2. Re: Brake / Tail Light Issue... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No one?
    Really?

Oh well, just as well I fixed it myself....

0 0 0

3. Re: Brake / Tail Light Issue... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I have a similar problem on my a4.
    I discovered some corrosion on one of the electrical connectors where the loom plugs in to the bulb holder.
    I've cleaned up the rust, it now works, but ultimately i believe it will need a new light unit/bulb holder for a 100% fix.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

4. Re: Brake / Tail Light Issue... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a problem with my brake lights/lights on a 2003 RS6 estate

When I have my lights off, and press the brakes, everything is fine, apart from a warning light in the dash saying a bulb has blown. But all bulbs appear to be ok.

But when I turn my lights on while driving, all the brake lights come on and stay on, and i lose power momentarily, and the brake light warning bulb comes on with a loud bleep. This warning repeats about every 30 seconds, it's darn annoying! Also when I press my brake peddle while in this state, my brake lights and tail lights just get a just a little brighter. ?? Can anyone work this one out???

And the car seems to be operating at less power too when this happens, until I put my foot right down - then it takes off after a short lull!

NOW the background, I have recently taken out the old sat nave and CD unit from the back of the car, as I'd had a new pioneer unit installed. Could this in any way have caused an internal computer error? VAGCOM needed to recode something? As I'd also tapped a wire into the reverse light cluster at the back for my rearview camera. But even when I disconnect this it still happens exactly as above! Scratching my head on this one, can anyone throw any light (excuse the pun) on this one????

Any help appreciated greatly! As I'm in the dark on this one, oh no, another pun!

0 0 0

5. Re: Brake / Tail Light Issue... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmmmm, I'm no expert but a best guess would be crossed wires (literally) somewhere?

0 0 0

6. Re: Brake / Tail Light Issue... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the reply, yes, was thinking that, will have another look at where I tapped the reverse light wire into, it was a wire on the harness for the ns back lights, should have been tapped into the reverse bulb.

0 0 0

7. Re: Brake / Tail Light Issue... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poppydoodlesdad View Post
    Hmmmmm, I'm no expert but a best guess would be crossed wires (literally) somewhere?

We were right I went back to halfords and showed them the problem, as I had just purchased a bulb from them! And it was found to be a faulty bulb, that was shortcircuiting! I would never have thought that could cause all those problems! But glad to say it is fixed now, and they gave me an extra bulb that works! Phew, what a relief lol! Amazing how these things can make you feel, I am full on rocking again now!!!!!

0 0 0

8. Re: Brake / Tail Light Issue... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good news! But as you say, all that over a bulb costing a couple of quid!

0 0 0