Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Just bought a 2006 Passat Estate 1.6FSI model...timing chain \ cam belt confused

1. Just bought a 2006 Passat Estate 1.6FSI model...timing chain \ cam belt confused 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

Just put down a deposit on a Passat, needed a family car, got it nice and cheap, with a full service history, its going to be the family runaround.
    Its a "Volkswagen Passat 1.6 S FSI model"

Im a bit confused if its a CAM belt model, or a timing chain model.

How do i know? I dont have the car yet, i pick it up next week. The car comes with a 30day warranty.

I read that people say the 1.6 Engine is not man enough for the size of the car, but it performed fine on test drive? Is there any truth in it? Its not gonna be for racing, as i say its only a runaround for the family, my girlfriend is expecting.

What are the things to look out for with this car? Is there a standard checklist. It has a full history, so thats quite comforting.

Many thanks guys!

ManikM

0 0 0

2. Re: Just bought a 2006 Passat Estate 1.6FSI model...timing chain \ cam belt confused 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    That is a RARE car. The cam drive is chain BUT don't take too much comfort from that, the chain and sprockets wear nad can jump.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Just bought a 2006 Passat Estate 1.6FSI model...timing chain \ cam belt confused 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I'm in Blackheath if you want me to come and do a VCDS Autoscan on it before you buy
    Most dealers I've already been to on behalf of buyers welcome one as it tells them too if
    there are any faults being shown, and what they are

If the seller refuses ponder why
    **SOLD** '06 B6 Passat 2L tFSI SEL 3c5, 232 bhp, Geba metal water pump, GlowShift boost & oil pressure gauges, paddles, powder-coated black Chicago rims yellow calipers, JVC KW NX7000/E sat nav DAB BT Ripspeed sub reverse cam, hi-line MFD, MFSW, Skyline tails, Laminex fogs, LEDs, indicator DRLs, Philips X-tremeVision heads, PowerFlow chrome exhaust, tints to rear, vanity VRM, TPMS, power-fold dimming mirrors, brolly

0 0 0

4. Re: Just bought a 2006 Passat Estate 1.6FSI model...timing chain \ cam belt confused 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    And just a quick one from me - don't forget the recent revision/addition to the SoGA in the form of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - the onus is on the supplying dealer for up to 6 months for any fault that renders the car not of satisfactory quality, not fit for a purpose or not as described.

A 30 day no quibble warranty is standard for most reputable dealers and gives extra peace of mind but it doesn't affect your statutory consumer rights.

http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/legal-ar...cond-hand-cars

Be sure to check the full history - a lot of dealers cite it but when checked there can be some missed services or long gaps between them - it might be a full history but it doesn't mean it complies with manufacturer guidelines.

The usual other precautions should be taken such as HPI (worth their weight in gold), MOT history, condition of tyres etc etc

3 2 0

5. Re: Just bought a 2006 Passat Estate 1.6FSI model...timing chain \ cam belt confused 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshrules View Post
    And just a quick one from me - don't forget the recent revision/addition to the SoGA in the form of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - the onus is on the supplying dealer for up to 6 months for any fault that renders the car not of satisfactory quality, not fit for a purpose or not as described.

A 30 day no quibble warranty is standard for most reputable dealers and gives extra peace of mind but it doesn't affect your statutory consumer rights.

Motor Trade Warranty Advice and Recommendations-Used Car Warranties, Dealer Guarantees and Service Contracts

Be sure to check the full history - a lot of dealers cite it but when checked there can be some missed services or long gaps between them - it might be a full history but it doesn't mean it complies with manufacturer guidelines.

The usual other precautions should be taken such as HPI (worth their weight in gold), MOT history, condition of tyres etc etc
    hi mate, thanks, he showed me the history paperwork - its full since new, mix of VW dealer, and independent. He showed me his own HPI print out, but its a good shout, thanks for reminding me. I will do my own one now, i have also emailed him to see if he will let me do a VAG scan before i drive it away.

Thanks for the advice.

0 0 0

6. Re: Just bought a 2006 Passat Estate 1.6FSI model...timing chain \ cam belt confused 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSEL View Post
    I'm in Blackheath if you want me to come and do a VCDS Autoscan on it before you buy
    Most dealers I've already been to on behalf of buyers welcome one as it tells them too if
    there are any faults being shown, and what they are

If the seller refuses ponder why
    thanks mate, thats really kind of you - its a treck as the cars in Bedford, i wouldnt expect you to give up your Sunday morning and afternoon helping a stranger.

I've got one of those hand scanners which i use on my TT so i'll just use that (if permitted)

0 0 0

7. Re: Just bought a 2006 Passat Estate 1.6FSI model...timing chain \ cam belt confused 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manikm View Post
    hi mate, thanks, he showed me the history paperwork - its full since new, mix of VW dealer, and independent. He showed me his own HPI print out, but its a good shout, thanks for reminding me. I will do my own one now, i have also emailed him to see if he will let me do a VAG scan before i drive it away.

Thanks for the advice.
    My point with the service history was to make sure the services have been completed at the mileage/time they should have - any big gaps would ring alarm bells.

A good HPI report is ~£10 and well worth the tears it can save, which one have you opted for?

No reputable dealer will refuse a fault scan prior to purchase, if they do (and as has been mentioned), walk away - there's plenty more cars out there

0 0 0