1. Hot start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, can anyone help me with a hot start problem on my 2005 BKC?

It will start 1st tip cold, it will start ok at 70 or even 80 degrees but at full temp it takes alot of cranking. Iv heard of replacing starter and battery but i hooked it to a big CCA battery an it cranked quicker and started quicker but same sanario if u no what i mean.

Im suspecting the CTS as fans were coming in an out every 20 seconds when i 1st came to it but not since??

Previous owner told me it would get warm, chugg an stall, my code reader said 'check DTC load memory' so i put that down to a speed sensor (crank sensor), replaced it (non genuine), now drives great an fault code gone but still hot start problem.

Thing is with replacing the battey/starter is my BKD has a bad battery and cranks slow but fires up hot or cold.

Also the only codes are glow plug faults.

Any help would be greatly apprieted,
    Thanks,
    Sean.

0 0 0

2. Re: Hot start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a common issue and is usually the result of the stater not cranking fast enough.

You can mimic a cold start, and prove this, by disconnecting the temperature sensor. You can monitor the cranking RPM in the measuring blocks to prove it too.

Fix is usually a new starter. I think Crasher (our resident nerd) recodes the ECU as an automatic transmission to fool it into starting at a lower cranking RPM. That's not a permanent fix though.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

3. Re: Hot start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have disconnected the temp sensor but no change.

Would me putting a big battery on not eliminate the starter? As is spun alot quicker?

Iv also been told of a software issue, i would imagine vw would have recalled them for that tho.

Cheers,
    Sean.

0 0 0

4. Re: Hot start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you monitored the cranking RPM, I'm sure the procedure's detailed on here somewhere, shout if you can't find it though.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

5. Re: Hot start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not yet mate but i will, i have a tacho that should do. I'll have a look around and c if i can find the procedure, new to forums so might take a bit of getting used to, and im on my phone.

Cheers

0 0 0

6. Re: Hot start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Missed the part about glow plug codes in your first post.

It might be wise to get the car scanned with VCDS before we go any further.

Have a look at our VCDS map (here) and see if there's anyone nearby - let me know and I'll PM them on your behalf and hopefully get you on the right track.

0 0 0

7. Re: Hot start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the help sam, theres a few near me, stalybridge and skockport.

Firstly tho, i was at the car lastnight, i put a new bosch battery on, removed the CTS and cleaned it as it was covered in green limescaley stuff (even tho it dint think it would make a difference), i also removed the batt/starter leads and cleaned the terminals and eart chassis post, checked the EGR with a vacuum pump, got it right up to temp, switched it off an on at different time intervals e.g. 1min, 2mins, 5mins etc, it was on the button everytime since.

2 other things tho, flywheel/clutch is rattling and a lower boost pipe keeps popping out, i put that down to the poor clip so cable tied it but popped out again, was thinking overboost but no fault code for it?

Thanks alot for your help upto anyway mate.

0 0 0

8. Re: Hot start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One thing at a time might be an easier way to go about this unless all the issues are related.

Start with a fault code scan.

If you could let me know who is closest to you I'll PM them on your behalf and direct them to this thread.

Once we have the result of a scan, then we can start spending your money for you.

0 0 0

9. Re: Hot start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haha my missus good a good job of that already! I only mentioned the other faults incase they are related.

'Eshrules' from stalybridge would b the handiest for me.

Thanks sam.

0 0 0

10. Re: Hot start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Eshrules has got back to me but it's not good news I'm afraid;

"Sorry, I no longer offer VCDS scans and I no longer live in Stalybridge"

He's asked for his details to be removed but he's still waiting.

Is there anyone else nearby?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast