Notices

User Tag List

Thread: A3 2010 - Aircon / Blower Unit Problem - Another One!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: A3 2010 - Aircon / Blower Unit Problem - Another One! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdougc View Post
    Control panel replaced still the same issue unfortunately.
    However I did hear the compressor which is promising, but the blower fan (new) still doesn't want to spin.

I could hear a faint clicking from the glove box area, so I'm thinking maybe I have "sticky flap motor".
    Just a thought so need to do some more investigation.
    Out of curiosity (even though it might not be relevant anymore) was it straightforward switching over your climate control unit? Shame that's not the culprit.

Last time I had the glove compartment out I was able to check the flap motor when I pressed AC (you could see it closing and opening) although are you thinking it has some sort of cut off if it's not in the right position for the blower?

As a word of warning to others, when you remove the glove compartment and the passenger airbag on/off switch it registers it as a fault and you'll see a red airbag warning light on the dash. This needs to be reset using VCDS (simply turning it on / off won't work) as when the switch is removed the computer registers it as being neither on or off and therefore a fault.

0 0 0

2. Re: A3 2010 - Aircon / Blower Unit Problem - Another One! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes I have the airbag warning light as well, as I'm driving around without a glovebox at the moment until it's fixed.

I carefully pulled off the trim panel where the hazard light switch is, so I could pull out the climate panel.
    It's a bit of a tight squeeze with the side bars around the gear stick, but it did come out.

There are 4 connector blocks at the back, they are all slightly different.
    Take a photo just in case, then remove with the ignition off, and fit the new unit.

I understand there are several motors that control the climate airflow, most of which should be accessible with the glovebox removed.
    Drivers side would be hard to access.

0 0 0

3. Re: A3 2010 - Aircon / Blower Unit Problem - Another One! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you have any luck Craig? I'm still trying to figure it out!

0 0 0

4. Re: A3 2010 - Aircon / Blower Unit Problem - Another One! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't looked at it since, but the condensation is driving me mad!

My local mechanic couldn't fix it, he recommended a good auto electricians.
    Going to get it booked in soon.

0 0 0

5. Re: A3 2010 - Aircon / Blower Unit Problem - Another One! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Tim,

Been a while but any luck fixing your air-con?

As mentioned I took it an auto electrician, apparently the new blower motor from Euro Car Parts was faulty.
    Well the motor was fine but the attached resistor pack was faulty, so they used the resistor from my old motor.

I'm really annoyed with ECP as I've wasted £60 on a new climate panel, plus £90 on labour for the electrician.
    It's now working although I'm not convinced it's perfect, it doesn't seem to be blowing cold air even at 16 deg.
    On the LO setting it blows out ice cold air so at least I have something, once the weather warms up I should be able to test properly.

Craig

0 0 0

6. Re: A3 2010 - Aircon / Blower Unit Problem - Another One! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdougc View Post
    Hi Tim,

Been a while but any luck fixing your air-con?

As mentioned I took it an auto electrician, apparently the new blower motor from Euro Car Parts was faulty.
    Well the motor was fine but the attached resistor pack was faulty, so they used the resistor from my old motor.

I'm really annoyed with ECP as I've wasted £60 on a new climate panel, plus £90 on labour for the electrician.
    It's now working although I'm not convinced it's perfect, it doesn't seem to be blowing cold air even at 16 deg.
    On the LO setting it blows out ice cold air so at least I have something, once the weather warms up I should be able to test properly.

Craig
    I've been meaning to respond now for a while, sorry for the late reply. No, I left it but now it's getting warm so I figured I needed to get it sorted. So when I last took it to the garage they took out my new replacement blower from ECP and tested a known working one from another VAG car which also didn't work. So it's probably not the attached resistor pack. At least you've got some air coming through. Sounds like I'm just going to have to take it to another garage.

0 0 0

7. Re: A3 2010 - Aircon / Blower Unit Problem - Another One! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In the end I took the car to the Audi dealership in Cribbs Causeway to get it re-mapped due to the emissions scandal.
    Whilst I was there I asked them to look into the issue. They replaced the climate control unit after tracing the circuit faults and found this had no effect at all so they reverted it back to the original unit. They then re-visited the blower and fitted a new VAG OEM motor which solved the problem. Strange it was that as the previous garage had used another blower from a Golf to check the system and the blower I installed from Euro Car parts was matched using the licence plate feature of which neither worked.

Either way it's now fixed and luckily I wasn't charged for the investigative work and the AC unit installation.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12