Notices

User Tag List

Thread: A6 All road, trailer connected wiring?

1. A6 All road, trailer connected wiring? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have fitted a second hand genuine audi c5 allroad towbar to my c5 s6. It has the genuine audi trailer socket and they just cut the loom in the boot.

I don't have all the trailer module that it needs to be installed as factory so I'm just using a bypass relay and wiring it into the rear lights as per an aftermarket job.

The wire colours are the same colours as the rear lights which is handy, but there are a couple of extras to do with the little button that pushes in the socket to show a trailer is connected. On an aftermarket socket this switch disables the rear fog on the car when a trailer is connected (to stop reflections) and on a genuine audi install it turns off parking sensors, adjusts esp, locks the air suspension etc.

I'm not too worried about the latter (unless it's an easy install) but disabling the fog would be good.

Does anyone know if it's just the trailer control module that controls all that, or is the fog just a break in contact on the switch like aftermarket trailer sockets. Here's what's connected to the little switch, thick grey/white, thin red/white and red/black.

Or if anyone has a wiring diagram for the factory allroad towbar wiring with the module etc that might explain it.

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 All road, trailer connected wiring? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone finding this through google i can confirm that you CAN disable the rear foglight and rear parking sensors when the trailer is hitched without having a trailer module, But you must have a genuine Audi trailer socket for it to work

I fired up the Elsawin and started trailing through wiring diagrams until i found what i wanted and it explains why there's so many wires

as it turns out the switch is separate to the socket wiring, differs from normal aftermarket sockets that switches the fog output. this has a fog live all the time to the trailer socket fog pin, and another down to the switch, then back to the foglight bulb. it has another wire when switched that goes to the parking sensor control module. when the trailer socket is inserted it pushes the switch which earths a little feed from the parking sensor module, it must be a small voltage as it doesn't illuminate the bulb.

when you go into the wiring diagram for the parking module wiring diagrams it shows this socket switch connection to the switch going to pin 5 on the module, a red/white wire. So, located the parking aid module,

unclipped the plug and sure enough there it was

fired up the vagcom and one of the blocks shows trailer: no

i looked in coding of the parking assist module and the first digit is Trailer Hitch, changed the 0 for an 1

connected an earth to this new wire i've found

and every time that is earthed the the trailer status changes to yes cracked it

so now i know it is going to work i could wire in the socket properly, started by interrupting the fog light feed

and running it down to the socket wiring

and running the little wire up to the parking aid

and tidying away

and i can confirm when there is a socket inserted for a trailer the rear fog light goes out AND the rear parking sensors are disabled, as soon as the trailer socket is removed they are all reactivated.

and the internet said it can't be done

Now i was always told there was a trailer module in the system and it deactivates everything. but from the wiring diagrams i found on Elsawin it shows the trailer wiring just T's straight into the rear of the lights direct

when the car gets the signal that there is a trailer connected, via the socket switch, via the parking aid control unit, it must either modify or turn off the bulb-out monitoring module so that is can see the double load on the rear lights, thus not flagging up a bulb out fault on the dash.

Also coming out of the hazard switch is an outlet for the trailer operation warning lamp

so again when the car knows the there is a trailer attached, via the socket switch, via the parking module, it must illuminate this symbol on the dash too.

3 3 0

3. Re: A6 All road, trailer connected wiring? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I had noticed this too in elaswin and was going to do the same as the towbar at fitted did not have the extra connections. The issue I have is finding a socket with the extra micro switch fitted. Does anyone know where I can get one from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 All road, trailer connected wiring? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike ryan View Post
    I had noticed this too in elaswin and was going to do the same as the towbar at fitted did not have the extra connections. The issue I have is finding a socket with the extra micro switch fitted. Does anyone know where I can get one from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just about every allroad I've seen has a towbar fitted and there's tons breaking and in scrapyards due to saggy suspension so should be hard to find a second hand one.

Audi would no doubt supply one, but the trailer loom is different to a normal 13 pin loom as you have the extra wires and I doubt they'd sell that without the whole wiring loom.

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 All road, trailer connected wiring? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I have a 54 plate Audi A6 Allroad. Is it possible to fit a basic old fashioned type 7 pin tow bar electrics to my car? I don;t want any of the clever stuff, and want to avoid wiring along the length of the car to the driver's footwell/fusebox etc. I use a trailer once every few months to tow a few miles so i only need very basic functions. I don't care about parking sensors etc etc etc. Is this possible using the old way of cutting into the light cluster wires?
    Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 All road, trailer connected wiring? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi If it is the C5 (Upto 2004/2005) then yes it can be done the old fashioned way by splicing into the rear lamp wiring loom although it's not the best way to do it
    Thanks.
    PF Jones Towbars | National Mobile Towbar Fitting | Audi Towbars

We will beat any like for like price on all Witter and Westfalia Towbars 0161 872 4755

0 0 0