Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Electric window issues on 2010 Polo (6R) - broken regulator?

1. Electric window issues on 2010 Polo (6R) - broken regulator? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Evening all

Earlier I wound down my windows in order to clear some of the rain and condensation off them, and the passenger one makes a horrible cracking noise followed by lots of grinding as the motor tries to push against something. Messed around with it a bit and got more horrible noises from the motor with the window occasionally moving, but I managed to force it shut with my hand in the end (good job as it was bucketing down), when the motor thought it was in the closed position but was actually still half open.

I don't know an awful lot about electric windows, but it seems to me that as the motor is still working, it's the part which attaches the motor to the window or some sort of brackets or something along here? I understand it's the regulator which can break, or the assortment of cables which push and pull the window, so I presume it's either become detached or has broken entirely.

Anyway, does anyone have any experiences like this? I'm going to take it apart to have a look at the weekend, but any tips for getting the door cards etc off would be much appreciated. I'm more used to taking apart older cars made of steel and rust

0 0 0

2. Re: Electric window issues on 2010 Polo (6R) - broken regulator? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, I took it apart ealier and had a look, so I'm gonna post here in case some one will be able to help, but if not I'll post my progress in here to help anyone else who may have these problems at some point in the future Bit of a long post so bear with me, and anyone who knows anything about electric windows on VWs I would really value your input

Finished work early so decided to have a look inside whilst the weather was nice. The door card came off fairly easily following this guide (which is not in english, but fortunately you can just look at the video), I think it was just a few T20 torx bolts that needed undoing. Popped the door inspection cover thing off and couldn't see much inside, so I took the motor off to see if that helped at all.

20160108_120302.jpg20160108_121254.jpg

As you can see on the right image, the gear assembly/driver that the motor acts on has got the cable caught in it somehow, and just eaten it and caused the cable to snap. It was all out of place but I pulled a bit more out which you can see in the picture.

I've discovered that you can buy the entire assembly (such as this ebay listing) but I can only seem to find ones for 5 door cars, where as mine is a 3 door. I'm assuming that the dimensions are different, because I'm certain that the front doors on the 3 door version are larger than those on the 5 door.
    What I've also found are kits which would include a replacement for the cable that has broken (such as this) but I can't find specific 6R ones, though the ebay listing claims they will fit basically all models of Polo. I can also only find those which are for the offside (broken regulator on mine is nearside) but I can't see there being any difference between sides, not for the cables anyway?

The whole assembly will have to come out either way, but from looking at it, it seems to just be a broken cable and perhaps the winder bit could use replacing if it already chewed up a cable - I'd rather replace a cable than the whole thing.
    I've circled the one that is broken on an image of that ebay listing, as I understand they are 3 sepearte cables, but I'm not sure if you can replace just one of them or if it has to be all at the same time?

window regulator.jpg

Sorry for the long post, but anyone's input would be most useful . I'm going to buy the cable kit as it's only a tenner, and then when I have a few days off, perhaps next weekend, I'll take the whole thing apart and see if those cables will actually work.

0 0 0

3. Re: Electric window issues on 2010 Polo (6R) - broken regulator? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate. I've got the same problem and I've just come across this. Did the replacement cables work or did you have to replace the whole thing?

0 0 0

4. Re: Electric window issues on 2010 Polo (6R) - broken regulator? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No the cables didn't work, I don't think anyone actually manufactures replacement cables for these particular models. Or maybe it would have worked for a 5 door model, but as mine is a 3 door the cables were the wrong length to work properly. I tried to bodge it but in the end I gave up and just bought a whole new regulator assembly - slightly annoying because nobody sells one for a 3 door and I had to spend ages looking on ebay for the appropriate one

All seems to be ok now though, was a bit annoying replacing the whole regulator but whatever. I've got the part numbers for the regulators written down somewhere if you want them, it makes finding bits on ebay so much easier

0 2 0

5. Re: Electric window issues on 2010 Polo (6R) - broken regulator? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

I've got the exact same problem, I've bought a replacement regulator set but how on earth do you fit it inside the door?

I assume after taking the door card off which I have done, the door should open up allowing you to get inside the gap, otherwise it seems impossible to fit!

Any photos of help would be much appreciated.

0 0 0

6. Re: Electric window issues on 2010 Polo (6R) - broken regulator? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryzzey View Post
    Hi,

I've got the exact same problem, I've bought a replacement regulator set but how on earth do you fit it inside the door?

I assume after taking the door card off which I have done, the door should open up allowing you to get inside the gap, otherwise it seems impossible to fit!

Any photos of help would be much appreciated.
    Hi I also have the same problem and before buying the regulator I wanted to know how it was done. I have taken the inside door card off and it looks almost impossible to fit. Do you have to take the outside door panel off as the glass also needs to come out to fit

Pictures would also be great as earlier requested

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: Electric window issues on 2010 Polo (6R) - broken regulator? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 59 Plate 3 door VW Polo and have exactly the same problem on the passenger side door.

I cant seem to find out how to do this or which regulator cable exactly to get. I cant find anything online that helps at all, did you guys have any luck?

0 0 0

8. Re: Electric window issues on 2010 Polo (6R) - broken regulator? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For Info,

I found this site for the manual:

Removing

Seems to be straight forward, will be a bit fiddly getting into that space. I have ordered a new part from here:
    Attention Required! | Cloudflare

My car was a 3 door with Comfort function (one click operation) so worth checking when looking for a part.

I will try and give an update once it comes and I have fitted it (fingers crossed) !

0 0 0