Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

Firstly, I appreciate that there are a number of threads on this forum and others that are to do with a similar subject. Having read for hours through what must have been almost be all of them, none of them seem to come to a solid conclusion in to what actually fixed the problem!

I'd really appreciate any advice that anybody can give me and I will keep this thread fully up to date on any progress made.

Details of my car:

2007 Audi A6 (C6)
    2.0 tdi
    Automatic gearbox
    BRE code Engine
    Full S Line (half leather heated sports seats, flappy paddles etc)
    About 136,000 miles
    Full Service History up to date.
    Owned the car for 4 months

The problem:

So the issues all started earlier this week, it was pouring with rain, when both of my main beam headlight bulbs blew. The first, drivers side, blew in the morning, I went to the local garage and they replaced it for me. The guy removed the air filter to do so, put the new bulb in, i checked the warning light on the dash had gone out to make sure that it was in properly, and of course that the bulb worked, and then he put it back together for me. On leaving the garage, the car wouldn't start. I had a warning light come up on the centre dash that said "ESP Fault - Drive to the nearest garage", and an ABS Fault. The Starter motor would trigger but sound as if it was jammed on and then cut out. Tried a couple of times to no success. The mechanic then sprayed some brake cleaner in to the air filter and after a couple more tries this seemed to do the trick and start the car although the warning lights were still on.

Throughout the rest of the day, the car was quite temperamental with starting. The same issues would occur however on the fifth or sixth try it would often start as normal and with all the codes on the dash cleared. That evening, the passenger side bulb blew so, back to the garage I went, they popped a new bulb in it for me and then low and behold, the car wouldn't start at all! Absolutely nothing would make the car start, not even copious amounts of brake cleaner in the air filter which the mechanic seemed to get a little bit carried away with!!! Eventually, I plugged it into their diagnostics machine. There were a couple of codes that came up to do with voltage but they were all intermittent and the mechanic suggested that I cleared them. Cleared all of the codes, and it started with no trouble.

At this point I decided to read up on all the forums and see if it was a common occurrence, to which it seemed, it was. Most threads pointed towards the parking brake switch. I decided that I wouldn't use the electronic parking brake and see if it stopped the issue from happening again.

It did.

Until this morning, when I accidentally flicked the electronic hand brake switch, it came on, I then switched it back off. Didn't think anything of it, went into town, parked up, came back to the car a bit later. Guess what? I turn the key, try to start the ignition and starter motor triggers, car doesn't start; ESP Fault, Brake Fault, Parking Brake Malfunction all decide to greet me with their haunting beeps and warning lights on the dash screen.

I plugged the diagnostics into the car again and I don't think I've ever seen so many fault codes in my life!

Here is a list of the ones that I couldn't clear:

Fault Codes (Snap On not VAG COM)

Transmission05975 - Supply Voltage Open Circuit P1757
    49408 - No Communication with Engine Control Module (SAE: ECM/PCM) U0100
    06273 - Powertrain Data Bus Missing Message Acceleration Request P1881

Brake Electronics:
    01314 - Engine Control Module No Signal/No Communication
    02083 - Message for Delay Request No Signal/No Communication

Airco:
    01314 - Engine Control Module Not A Plausible Signal

Central Electronic Unit:
    00978 - Bulb Left Dipped Light - M29 Open Circuit/Short With Power - Intermittent
    00979 - Bulb Right Dipped Light - M31 Open Circuit/Short With Power - Intermittent
    01498 - Parking Lamps Right - M3 Open Circuit - Intermittent
    00446 - Function Limitation due to Under - Voltage Lower Limit Reached - Intermittent
    00532 - Supply Voltage B + Lower Limit reached - Intermittent

Instrument Panel:

Diagnostic Data Interface-Gateway:

Navigation System:
    00446 - Function Limitation due to Under - Voltage Lower Limit Reached - Intermittent

Comfort Systems:
    02106 - Rear Window Shade Motor (V91) Open Circuit

Parking Brake:

Radio:
    00532 - Supply Voltage B+ Lower Limit Reached - Intermittent

Battery Regulation:
    01299 - Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533) No Signal/No Communication
    02272 - Quiescent Current Stage 1 - Intermittent
    02273 - Quiescent Current Stage 2 - Intermittent
    02276 - Quiescent Current Stage 5 - Intermittent
    02277 - Quiescent Current Stage 6 - Intermittent

I don't have much of an idea of what these codes relate to, apart from what I see when I google them.

All I can tell is that they are all to do with electrics/wiring/regulations or the ECU...

So at the moment, i'm in a bit of trouble. My car is immovable, I can't get to my job, and at this rate I won't even be able to see my family at Christmas!

Does anybody have any ideas of what I can do or what may be the cause of this?

Any help or advice is much appreciated and if you're down south and might be able to help out then i'd be so grateful, especially at this time of year!

0 0 0

2. Re: Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i would be checking battery voltage to start with, sounds like its flat, so get it charged, clear the codes and start it. presuming it starts would then check the charging volts at the battery, then again with all lights, radio etc on, to load the alternator. give it a rev and make sure the volts stay around 13.9 - 14.2v.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks zollaf, I will get on to this tomorrow.

I've had the battery and voltage tested a number of times before and during these issues, it was all fine, however since everyone's been trying to start the car to no avail today I have a feeling that might have run the battery down.

At least that could potentially get rid of some of the codes and issues!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    tell your man to stop spraying brake cleaner in the air filter.

My A6 with BRE engine had a similar(ish) fault and it almost went on fire. Check the jump start + terminal in the car is not red hot, this was melted in mine and had burnt a hole in the bonnet insulation. Due to it causing a resistance, it was causing the volts to drop on charging my battery.

Anyway is there any water in the footwells of the car ? Can you lift the scuttle cover and see if there is any water in the scuttle ( below wipers) area. Might be choked up with leaves and the rain you talk of is going into an electrical box by chance.

Next step is check battery volts cold and with car started, if you can.

If the volts are fine at battery, then get the battery checked for dud cells.

Next is turnover speed of starter........................ might be a sticky solenoid on starter

If they all check out, then cheapest option is brake switch

0 0 0

5. Re: Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wbailey95 View Post

I've had the battery and voltage tested a number of times before........
    And why was that? Looking like a duff battery or voltage regulation issue. Bulbs go from old age, or over voltage. Over voltage isn't always alternator based, can be associated with dying batteries.

The date/ time stamps on the codes can be useful information, too.

0 0 0

6. Re: Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all of your helpful responses guys! Really appreciated!

New developments with all of this.....

I cycled up to where I had left the car at the garage last night to collect a few bits out of my car. Got what I needed out of it then went to lock the car. Battery was dead. Remote locking didn't work and neither did the central locking from putting the key in the door. Anyway, my dad kindly came out with his car so that I could connect the jump leads and at least try and get some power into the car so that I could lock it.

While the car was hooked up I thought I may as well give starting it up a go. Turned the key and it stuttered briefly but then the car came to life! I had an ESP Fault icon come up on the rev counter dash and then an engine management light as well as a flashing glow plug (coil) light.

As I packed the jump leads away I left the car running. Just before I put the bonnet down I remembered reading this......

Quote Originally Posted by niall campbell View Post
    My A6 with BRE engine had a similar(ish) fault and it almost went on fire. Check the jump start + terminal in the car is not red hot, this was melted in mine and had burnt a hole in the bonnet insulation. Due to it causing a resistance, it was causing the volts to drop on charging my battery. l
    I checked the + Positive jump start terminal under the bonnet and it was hot. hot enough to only keep your hand there for a few seconds, especially given that the car had been running for a few minutes!

I started driving the car back to mine and as I tried to pull away the car wasn't wanting to go anywhere in reverse, it stalled... Restarted the car, and no brake faults or ESP faults or the like... Just the Engine Management and the Flashing Glow light...

I then put my seatbelt on and put the car into drive, remembering that the parking brake will disengage automatically only when your seatbelt is on. It worked, I pulled forward a little bit then reversed out the drive and drove home.

The car seemed fine. As I was driving, I put the MMI to 'Car Battery'. The screen showed only one bar and it wasn't moving, usually I would expect it to re charge at least a little bit.

I got home, checked the heat under the bonnet of the positive jump start terminal and it was still pretty hot.

I'm thinking you must be right mr campbell, but how did you go about fixing this? Do I need a new battery or alternator? Or is it something more complex between the battery and alternator that causes this resistance.

Hopefully once this is sorted I will be able to have more of an idea of if there is an issue with the parking brake and other bits and pieces. As always, all help is most welcome and I will keep this thread up to date as best I can.

0 0 0

7. Re: Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I went to an auto electrician and got them to cut the thing off and join the wires.

A wiring loom is around £100 for it. The wire goes from under the driver side wiper blades to the starter and alternator.

I was losing 2 volts through the resistance in the jump start terminal, this will affect the starting of the car and recharging of the battery.

It was as hot as yours

0 0 0

8. Re: Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

0 0 0

9. Re: Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem and here is my experience.

It was very intermittent at first, engine would turn, but not start. Turning on ignition (before trying to start or after) would show ESP Fault, Brake Fault (please drive to the nearest something carefully), Parking Brake Fault, Headlight Range Control Fault, pretty much everything fault... You leave the car for a few minutes and then it would start, until recently when it didn't.
    An OBDeleven scan revealed that most (or all) units reported faulty had the same error, something about failing to communicate to ECU.
    Audi dealership told me it was a battery and offered to replace it. The mechanic's note said something in the lines of "I charged the battery and the car started fine."

About 3-4 days later the problem appeared again. Few minutes later the car started. Then 2 days later same thing and the car didn't start (I had to leave it at Costco parking lot). The next morning I jump-started it and drove to the dealership, told them to tow it at their expense. They said they'll be able to do something, then I said the car was already there with the same problem

Turned out to be an ECU relay stuck (open I think). This was also the reason the battery was draining. Boosting the car (I guess) gave a bit more power to the relay so it kind of worked.
    $42CAD and no charge for 3-hour diagnostic (because they charged me a week ago and didn't solve the problem).

Here are the videos of the fault happening with my frustrated voice and (at the time anger) at the dealership (but not having to pay $465CAD just for diagnostics was a bonus for me :P)
    Shared album - Nurchi BECHED - Google Photos

0 0 0

10. Re: Parking Brake Malfunction, ESP, EPB, ABS - Car Wont Start - SO MANY FAULT CODES!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello, Nurchi i am having the same problems. I have a 3.0tdi 2007 Quattro. Could you tell us which relais has been changed and the part number?

Thanks
    Carmadeur

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast