1. Adding dash-cam wifi to home network 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Morning all, just fitted a Thinkware dashcam to an A6 and am able to "control" it via it's built in wifi. i.e. I press the wifi button on the device, and use a smartphone to connect to it. This means dropping my wifi connection to my home network and all that goes with it, i.e. internet access, file shares and so on.

So my question is, is there any way I can add the Thinkware dash cam's wifi to be a part of my home wireless network so I connect once to the home wifi and am able to access the camera?

0 0 0

2. Re: Adding dash-cam wifi to home network 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't have one myself, nor am I familiar with how they work, but it sounds as though it has a WiFi Direct (more info here) connection rather than a conventional WiFi AP connection so no, you won't be able to connect it as a device and 'see' it on your network.

Do you have the manual for the camera or more details on the exact model?

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

3. Re: Adding dash-cam wifi to home network 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That sounds about right

FYI it's one of these F750 | THINKWARE Dash Cam

0 0 0

4. Re: Adding dash-cam wifi to home network 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'd have thought the manual would give up a bit of information but it doesn't seem to offer anything more

My guess remains the same, it's WiFi Direct and not WiFi AP or similar.

I'd be interested in day/night footage from the camera when you've got it up and running too, please.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

5. Re: Adding dash-cam wifi to home network 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    But loading the files on the smart phone than syncing via a file share like dropbox would work. Provided you can sync the files on to your phone.

0 0 0

6. Re: Adding dash-cam wifi to home network 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I believe it would be possible but you would need to get another WiFi unit as it would not connect directly to your router/WiFi. Your house WiFi and the dash cam WiFi are both operating as an "AP" thus it will not connect with each other. But if you buy a small cheap ubiquity picostation or similar device and are able to hardwire that into your home network (if not two pico's will Work) you could get it working as you'll set the pico as a station, establish connection with your dashcam and then link that into your home network.

It's possible.

Easy way to test. Download WiFi analyser on your phone. Press your button on the dash cam. If it appears in the WiFi analysers list it will work. If not then it won't.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: Adding dash-cam wifi to home network 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One suggestion is a USB otg device you can get them up to 256gb in size and hook direct to the phone so if you want to back up footage connect it and simply drag direct to the otg card.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

0 0 0