1. golf mk v gt tdi lost all power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi guys, hope this is the right place for my post.
    my problem is, i was driving down the motorway at 70 mph in 6th gear when the accelerator became unresponsive, no dashboard lights, headlights stayed on just complete loss of power, no noises. rolled to a stop and called breakdown.
    the breakdown guy says he thinks its fuel related. it has half a tank of diesel ( definitely diesel ) but he's just guessing. now its home it will turn over, but won't fire. before i go out buying parts is there anything i can check ?
    thanks in advance guys.
    checked fuses in engine, all seem ok.
    opened fuel filter and there is a bit in the bottom, not sure if it should be full or not though.

0 0 0

2. Re: golf mk v gt tdi lost all power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    filter should be full. does the in tank pump run if you turn the ignition on. listen carefully for it, under the rear seat.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

3. Re: golf mk v gt tdi lost all power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for fast reply mate. lifted the back seat and when I switch ignition on and off there is no sound from the tank pump.

0 0 0

4. Re: golf mk v gt tdi lost all power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    probably found your problem then, just need to work out why its not running. is there power going to the pump when you switch the ignition on, it only runs for a second or so, but should run whilst cranking. could be the pump, fuse or relay.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

5. Re: golf mk v gt tdi lost all power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks mate. that will be my next port of call then. will get it tested.
    hoping it's the cheaper option.
    will post my findings.

0 0 0

6. Re: golf mk v gt tdi lost all power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no joy. changed pump and put a new filter in too. turned ignition on and off 10 times. I could hear the new pump starting up every time. turned the engine. won't start. checked fuses , all fine. pulled off pipe at filter and turned engine on. it's pumping diesel through fine now ( wasn't before ). battery on charge now ,everything started going dim.

0 0 0

7. Re: golf mk v gt tdi lost all power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you get a diagnostic scan?

0 0 0

8. Re: golf mk v gt tdi lost all power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah first thing . it came back no fault codes. I've had a breakthrough though !!
    tried jumping it and the oil pressure light came on an dashboard flashed STOP so stopped. spoke to a guy who fixes cars and he said try it 1 more time. ( what harm can it do )
    anyway tried it. no oil pressure light and after turning it over 3/4 times it fired up. seems to be running fine. but had to go to work. will have to see if it starts in the morning. Cheers guys.
    hope that's the end of that problem, never been so cold an wet in my life !!

1 1 0

9. Re: golf mk v gt tdi lost all power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    update guys.! drove it today and it's working. it is quite loud though compared to the old one. I have been wondering though. inside the fuel pump the was a bag of silicone type material glued in. was this supposed to stay in ?
    I've checked it against the old one and it's a different design so it doesn't have one. Probably because I bought the £84 one and not the £130 one.
    it is working now . That's the main thing.

0 0 0

10. Re: golf mk v gt tdi lost all power 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    If you check under dash fusebox theres 3 micro (small relays)the 3 of them is marked on top 409 after removing these relays & checking their base terminals no voltage found at either relay as these are fed via the main engine control relay on engine bay fusebox after removing this control relay & checking it's base terminals
    I found the voltage down at this point which I put down to resistance in wiring poor connection. I then went to the breakers which i'm friendly with he handed me a fusebox to try out when this was fitted the car started up immediately the car in question was a 05 2l diesel golf.The fusebox came off a skoda octivia diesel
    Regards Mickeybo

0 0 0