1. Advanced key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can someone with the advanced key option explain in practical terms how it works - i am thinking of adding it into the spec before the build date as some owners speak very hihly of it. I understand that it works by proximity to the vehicle, but what i don't understand is, does it mean that every time you walk past the car and you have the key on your person that the car will unlock? How close do you have to be for it to unlock? I'm thinking of a scenario where for example you park outside a shop, go inside, then happen to stroll near the window and the car unlocks. Also, and i am sure i have seen this in a thread before, i presume you could potentially drive away from the house without the key in the vehicle!
    A good explanation of this option would be much appreciated.
    A6 BiTDI S line Avant, Kingfisher blue

0 0 0

2. Re: Advanced key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, from what I understand of keyless entry, have it on wife's mazda3, if you have key in your pocket you still need to press a button on the door handle to unlock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 1 0

3. Re: Advanced key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had keyless entry on my Nissan. It is as suggested above you need to be close and press a button. And stop/ start engine button.
    Honestly I found it a real pain! Because you don't need to have located your key just know it's in your jacket / bag etc I 'lost' my keys a lot. The car naturally won't let you lock it until you have removed the key which is great if you know where it is. I personally prefer the old fashioned method of knowing where your keys are and avoiding a late night fumble in the dark trying to locate house keys attached to car keys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Advanced key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I also find more often than not I don't just get into the drivers seat, ie. Open boot first or rear doors to throw work bag in etc, and these doors don't have the keyless entry button so end up using the key fob nearly every time. IMO not worth paying for as an upgrade option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: Advanced key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Advance key is very good on the a6.
    You have to be within proximity and all you have to do is touch back of door handle like you are just opening the door for it to unlock. And touch the lock sensor to lock.
    Advance key comes with remote boot as well so all you need to do is wave your feet under bumper and it opens.

0 0 0

6. Re: Advanced key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donmeister View Post
    Can someone with the advanced key option explain in practical terms how it works - i am thinking of adding it into the spec before the build date as some owners speak very hihly of it. I understand that it works by proximity to the vehicle, but what i don't understand is, does it mean that every time you walk past the car and you have the key on your person that the car will unlock? How close do you have to be for it to unlock? I'm thinking of a scenario where for example you park outside a shop, go inside, then happen to stroll near the window and the car unlocks. Also, and i am sure i have seen this in a thread before, i presume you could potentially drive away from the house without the key in the vehicle!
    A good explanation of this option would be much appreciated.
    I have the advanced key option. The idea is that the key stays in your pocket at all times. To unlock the car you need to stand next to the door and touch the back of the door handle with your hand as you pull the handle to open the door, the car does not automatically unlock unless you touch the back of the door handle. This then allows the door (or doors, depending on how you configure it) to be opened. You then start the car by pressing the start button next to the MMI console. To lock the car, you stop the engine, get out, shut the doors and touch a small button on the front of the handles.

Can you drive the vehicle without the key being in the car? I haven't tried it but the key needs to be inside the car before you press the start button. However once the engine has started then the key is not used anymore so theoretically you could get out of the car once it has started and let someone else drive the car away without the key.

As A6S mentioned, you also get the remote boot opening which is useful when you have your hands full, although getting the foot kick to activate the sensor to open the boot takes of bit of practice to get it right.

As to whether this option is worth it, is dependent upon how much you rate the convenience of having the key stay in your pocket. Will I spec it again? Probably yes.

0 0 0

7. Re: Advanced key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAVAV View Post
    I have the advanced key option. The idea is that the key stays in your pocket at all times. To unlock the car you need to stand next to the door and touch the back of the door handle with your hand as you pull the handle to open the door, the car does not automatically unlock unless you touch the back of the door handle. This then allows the door (or doors, depending on how you configure it) to be opened. You then start the car by pressing the start button next to the MMI console. To lock the car, you stop the engine, get out, shut the doors and touch a small button on the front of the handles.

Can you drive the vehicle without the key being in the car? I haven't tried it but the key needs to be inside the car before you press the start button. However once the engine has started then the key is not used anymore so theoretically you could get out of the car once it has started and let someone else drive the car away without the key.

As A6S mentioned, you also get the remote boot opening which is useful when you have your hands full, although getting the foot kick to activate the sensor to open the boot takes of bit of practice to get it right.

As to whether this option is worth it, is dependent upon how much you rate the convenience of having the key stay in your pocket. Will I spec it again? Probably yes.
    Had it on the Lexus before my A6 and it was pretty much like the above.

You walk up to the door and open the door handle. As you pull the handle the car sends the radio signal for "Is there a key in range?", the key in your pocket replies "Yes" and the handle opens. It's seamlessly instant.
    To start the car you press the start button on the dashboard. The car sends the radio signal for "Is there a key inside the cabin?", the key in your pocket replies "Yes" and the engine starts. It can tell the difference between 'Key inside cabin' and 'Key outside vehicle'.
    If the 'Key inside cabin' disappears whilst the engine is running, the dashboards starts moaning at you. But the engine keeps on running, even doing the proper stop-start. But once you press the stop button on the dashboard, that's it - you need the key to start it up again.
    To lock the car you touch the door handle after you've shut down the engine/electrics and closed the doors.

The above was all standard fit on the Lexus before my A6.

The A6 does not have keyless entry as standard, it's an optional extra. It does however have keyless start as standard, and that part of it works exactly like the whole shebang did on the Lexus.

Do I miss it? Yes.
    Would I tick the box and pay for it as an optional extra? No.
    Should Audi catch up with Lexus and make it standard fit? Yes.

0 0 0

8. Re: Advanced key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    this is the first car I have had it on. I wouldn't order a car without it now. It is the bee's knees. Using my wife's car, with the usual remote, is just that little bit less fluid.

0 0 0

9. Re: Advanced key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    It should be standard.
    It's a brilliant feature but it's a pricey one.
    At £1100 i would take the tech pack, Quattro, faster engine over advance key.
    Boot release I get something like 5 out of 10 times working before I get frustrated and use the button or remote

0 0 0

10. Re: Advanced key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Firstly, I don't have this feature, but my only concern is whether someone else touching the door handle whilst you're (the keyholder/driver) close enough, allows entry. There must be different levels of sensitivity as there are with the standard C7 keys (mine won't work from the passenger seat for example).

My wife and I both have keys to the other car as we don't use them as "his 'n' hers" but pick the one suited to what we're doing. We're very often a few hundred miles apart for some time so losing a key isn't an option. It's not an elegant solution, but I keep mine on a lanyard so I know where it is when I need it. On long journeys for more comfort I'll put the lanyard round the gear selector so I automatically pick it up when selecting "P".
    MY2014 A6 allroad 245PS, my 8th Audi in 20 years - all quattros. 15th VAG car (incl 2 used ones).

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast