1. HELP Tiptronic auto box problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. I'm just in the process of looking at my tiptronic auto on my 2004 allroad. I've noticed that there is a slight resonance rattle at about 2200 revs and it also seems to catch a kind of half gear between 2nd and 3rd. The box has done 140k .. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

0 1 0

2. Re: HELP Tiptronic auto box problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Jdot, apologies as I can't offer any advice but I was about to post something about my Tiptronic when I read your post. The half gear thing, I think I have the same as it almost feels/sounds like it goes into overdrive and then finds the next gear, this is only in drive and not in sport or manual. It may be the same thing so I'll keep an eye on your thread

Ian

0 0 0

3. Re: HELP Tiptronic auto box problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hiya. It's seems that audis suggestion that the oil is lifetime oil isn't true and should be changed every 40k this should solve the problems apparently

0 0 0

4. Re: HELP Tiptronic auto box problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I've read about this 'extra gear' feeling between 2nd & 3rd quite a lot. Mine does it slightly in D, not really noticeable in other mods. From what I've read it's quite normal, and is more a software issue in 'D' causing a lazy torque converter more than anything else.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

5. Re: HELP Tiptronic auto box problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Jepp, it's the torque converter lock up you feel. The lifetime oil strathegy is indeed true. If you don't change oil the gearbox will soon be dead and abrakadabra- the oil lasted it's whole life !

0 1 0

6. Re: HELP Tiptronic auto box problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    The 40k service interval is for multitronic(normal auto). ZF suggested service interval is between 80 and 140k kilometres ( off the top of my head) so about 50-100k miles depending on usage. Most guys seem to go for about 100k changes.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

7. Re: HELP Tiptronic auto box problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that folks. Just read up on torque converters and that sounds about right. Am I understanding that they are a sealed unit and run on their own oil, rather than that of the gearbox?
    I'm going to do the box oil this weekend as I'm sure it's never been done and hopefully things will get a whole deal smoother. That's if I can get my head around the filling process! Any tips?

0 0 0

8. Re: HELP Tiptronic auto box problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    They use the gearbox oil but without a special pump you can't flush it. There's a couple of thread on here which give the capacity with and without TC flush. I only know of one place who can flush them up in Glasgow. Very important to get the correct oil and it is expensive-about £30 per litre.
    Google for ZF gearbox oil change and you should get good results or go to the ZF website and ey have the instructions on thee.you need to drain the oil then fill it until it runs out but the gearbox should be run to temperature (need VCDS for this). You then go through a reprogramming of the gearbox by driving it a specific way.
    I did see on another forum that the guys just replace the amount of oil drained with fresh as the gearbox doesn't use oil.

Good luck.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

9. Re: HELP Tiptronic auto box problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Yes, I measured exactly what came out, and put that much back in. I used one of those brake/clutch bleeding kits that use tyre pressure to help with refilling.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

10. Re: HELP Tiptronic auto box problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Guys - listen and listen good. 1st- when you change gearbox oil you need to change the filter as well ( without filter it's a lot better to save your money) 2- in order to do so the sump has to come down- meaning you'll also need a sump seal and some 27 torx bits.
    Do not try to loosen the screws with 25 torx ! That will double the job ! When the sump is well down, clean it well and specially the magnets ( wich you put back in exactly the same place) When sump is back in you fill oil up in the big hole until it drips out ( the smaller
    hole is for draining oil out only. Now start the engine and fill more oil ( do not stop the engine during this process) Then run the gear stick through all gears and back to P. Fill oil until it drips out and take a look on VCDS- transmission - oil temp. When the oil
    is 35 C you put in the screw and you don't overtighten it .
    If VCDS is not avaible you can just feel the temp on the gearbox sump with your hand - have done that many times and works fine, just remember- a little warm but definitly not hot. After a few days start the engine from cold and let it idle to the gearbox sump
    is warm ( run through all the gears again) Then open the big screw again and see if you can get some more oil in there ( usually you can)

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast