Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Just bought a 2006 Estate 2.0 TDi (140) - what are things that I need to watch out?

1. Just bought a 2006 Estate 2.0 TDi (140) - what are things that I need to watch out? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

Greetings from London, this my first post, so apologise for any mistake. I just bought a 2006 Passat Estate 2.0 SE TDi Manual. So far I've been enjoying driving it (my previous car was Audi A4 1998). I was wondering if you can tell me what are the things that I should watch out about this car.
    Also, anybody knows where I could buy the manual of the car? There are so many functions that while I could sometimes guess what they are for, I really want to know every details of them.

Thanks very much for your help!

Chris P.

0 0 0

2. Re: Just bought a 2006 Estate 2.0 TDi (140) - what are things that I need to watch out? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    You could do a search on this forum, but going to Honest John's website might be quicker.

If by manual you mean driver's handbook (?) then ebay's your best bet.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

3. Re: Just bought a 2006 Estate 2.0 TDi (140) - what are things that I need to watch out? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Get a Haynes manual - pretty useful.

Also look online for the VW Self Study Programs (SSP) as these explain a lot of the what, why and how sort of technical detail.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

4. Re: Just bought a 2006 Estate 2.0 TDi (140) - what are things that I need to watch out? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are the standard basic checks for any car, such as the state of the battery etc, but specifically for the Passat here are a couple of easy checks to get you started: firstly I would check the state of each Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) motor on the rear brakes. The EPB motor casing is plastic and susceptible to cracking, which then lets in water and results in parking brake failure. This means taking each rear wheel off in turn and then a looking around the motor casing - a small mirror would help you check the condition.

Secondly, both radiator fans should operate together. A common fault is that the brushes in the smaller one (offside) get stuck in the brush holder and so only the main fan spins. It's possible to repair a fan in this condition but it's also an easy job to swap in a new one.

I'm sure others can add more useful stuff.

0 0 0

5. Re: Just bought a 2006 Estate 2.0 TDi (140) - what are things that I need to watch out? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    So apart from the latest emissions scandal regarding Ashlie, which can be averted by going for a facelift model, there aren't really any common problems to watch out for? I remember a chain rattle issue with the previous 3.0 V6 engine. Nothing like that?
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

6. Re: Just bought a 2006 Estate 2.0 TDi (140) - what are things that I need to watch out? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Just the small matter of the engine seizing and a goosed turbo due to VAG planned obsolescence engineering .

0 0 0

7. Re: Just bought a 2006 Estate 2.0 TDi (140) - what are things that I need to watch out? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Well it looks like this time next week I could be the proud new owner of a 16 plate A6 3.0 BiTDI. Went down to Stratford Audi today & put the deposit down. Lovely Daytona Grey one with Tech Pack, Parking Pack, Storage Pack, heated steering wheel, sports suspension, Lighting Pack, power boot lid. There's no pan roof, head up display or electric memory seats, but they're just luxuries. I'm really happy with the spec over all.

Cheers for the help & advice guys.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

8. Re: Just bought a 2006 Estate 2.0 TDi (140) - what are things that I need to watch out? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I somehow got onto the wrong thread a couple of posts ago. Sorry all, I wasn't supposed to be posting on this thread. Sorry OP.
    The Only Way Is A6!

0 0 0