Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition with 37k miles on the clock for my wife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition with 37k miles on the clock for my wife 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Having run a Peugeot 206cc for the last 10 years my wife fancied a change. She fancied a Polo or an Audi A1 and after consideration decided on a VW Polo Match Edition 1.4 petrol manual in Reflex Silver on a 13 plate. Bought it from Pulman Volkswagen in Sunderland and according to the trip computer it averaged 52mpg on the 200 mile run back down to Leicestershire. It has a mixture of new/nearly new Chinese tyres on it but it drives just fine. The cruise control makes for relaxing motorway driving and Pat likes the reversing sensors and Bluetooth phone connection.

I was concerned that it had been on the variable servicing regime but was assured that this was in accordance with dealership recommendations. The first service had been carried out at 30,000 miles (yikes!), and the dealer has just serviced it again before we took it away. It comes with a 12 month warranty from VW. We paid £8,100.

It will get more frequent oil and filter changes with us and we'll see how we get on with it. The naturally aspirated 1.4 petrol engine seems rather tame after my 2.0 TDI estate and has less poke than the 110 bhp 1.6 16v Peugeot too. It is necessary to change down to 4th, or even 3rd on steeper hills but we'll get used to that. It will lead a pampered life : the 206cc has done only 32k in 10 years and didn't come out much when it rained.

Anyone else any experience of the Polo Match Edition?

0 0 0

2. Re: Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition - problem with heated rear mirrors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, had the car a week now and discovered a fault. Used the door mirror heaters to clear moisture off them. The "bulb out" warning light came on the dash and the near side indicator bulbs all lit up and stayed on. Switched off the mirror heaters but the "bulb out" warning stayed on. The n/s indicator bulbs still stayed on - not flashing. Had to drive home like that and the n/s indicators weren't working - stayed on but didn't flash. Arrived home and checked that all the bulbs were working - they were!

I switched off the ignition and let everything go to sleep. Then I switched on the ignition again - the "bulb out" warning light had disappeared. Started the car and tried the indicators - all were working fine and no bulbs were out. Turned the knob to switch on the door mirror heaters again and the "bulb out" warning light came on again and the n/s indicators all lit up again and stayed on. Switched off the mirror heaters and the warning light stayed on as did the n/s indicators (but not flashing). Switched off the ignition, removed the key and let it go to sleep again. After a few minutes turned on the ignition - the warning light had disappeared - started the car and the indicators were working perfectly again.

Tried the hazard warning lights and they are working just fine.

So the problem appears to be with the mirror heaters. Either a short leading to all 3 n/s indicators bulbs staying on, or maybe some built in warning to tell me that the mirror heaters aren't working properly.

Any one else experienced this fault? If so did you manage to solve it. Fortunately the car is still under warranty so a trip to my local main dealers will have to be arranged.

0 0 0

3. Re: Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition with 37k miles on the clock for my wife 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A VCDS scan would show up any immediate issues but as you're under warranty, a dealer trip would be the first step.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

1 0 0

4. Re: Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition with 37k miles on the clock for my wife 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a brief update. Was about to ring my local main dealer to take it in for the heated door mirror issue and thought I'd check the car first. Glad I did as everything is working as it should now.

0 0 0

5. Re: Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition with 37k miles on the clock for my wife 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This fault reappeared and as the car is coming up for 3 years old I put it in to Leicester Parkway for MOT and asked them to sort out the heated door mirror issue which had become permanent. Took them 3 days but they cured it by replacing the n/s mirror housing.

There was one trouble code present for n/s indicator open circuit. They carried out test plan checks to make sure the indicator worked ok, then checked for TPI's - none available. They confirmed my complaint that when heated mirrors were switched on the n/s indicator stays on permanently. Wriggle test revealed nothing and they suspected the fault to be in the mirror wiring harness. They removed/stripped n/s mirror housing. Reconnected and carried out wiring wriggle test on wiring in mirror housing. Fault clears and then can be made present when harness moved. They stripped back wiring and found wiring rubbed together. As the housing comes complete with its own wiring harness the cure was a complete new n/s mirror housing. Glad I got it done under warranty!

0 1 0

6. Re: Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition with 37k miles on the clock for my wife 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad to hear you've had some luck with that. Hope everything else is all o.k!

My mum's got a 2013 Match edition 1.2 / 70-75hp 3 cylinder bought new to replace a previous generation 1.4 / 75hp (the 4th consecutive Polo 1.3 / 1.4 she'd had since 1995). It's a nice wee car, but she's just had the 2nd replacement clutch / flywheel in not all that many miles (<16,000 from memory). Although normally I'd be inclined to think "older lady driver" - and the confounding factor is a steep driveway from the garage that you need to reverse out of from a standstill up a short / sharp gradient, the fact that none of the previous 1.4s that used that garage have ever had a gearbox / clutch issue in 20 years and 100s of thousands of miles in total makes me wonder if the clutch design in the new car is a bit lightweight.

I drove it a month ago and the clutch was incredibly spongey with a high clutch point at the time (and obviously now on the way out again) - but it seemed no different than when it was initially replaced the last time. The 1.2 also appears to be very free-revving and torquey at the bottom end compared to the previous 1.4 which seemed to pull more higher up, so low speed reversing up the gradient results in a lot more revs than one would expect as it was hard to judge the bite point - and this probably exacerbates the symptoms. Everyone seems to think she is "riding the clutch" and she's paid twice for the replacement but to be honest I think it is a bit more than that for once.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully appreciated. I was wondering if it may make sense to swap in a heavier duty clutch plate / flywheel combination if there is one available for the 1.2. Another suggestion was swapping to an automatic, but I wondered which gearbox is available - is it a DSG in the Polo, and would that be any better than the manual in this instance?

0 0 0

7. Re: Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition with 37k miles on the clock for my wife 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I run a Golf Estate and the Polo certainly feels lightweight compared to that. However the clutch on either is progressive and bites well. I have never driven a 1.2 3 cyl Polo either manual or auto. We opted for the 4 cyl 1.4 for the simplicity of the engine.

My view is that if the garage is at the bottom of a steep gradient I would reverse the car down into the garage when putting it away. Then when getting the car out again, it can simply be driven forward up the incline with full forward vision. To reverse it out while looking over one's shoulder would involve a lot more slipping of the clutch than driving it out forwards. That way she should get more than 8,000 miles per clutch.

0 0 0

8. Re: Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition with 37k miles on the clock for my wife 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply and chance to discuss. Reversing into this garage would be pretty terrifying although I do agree that it would make driving out easier in one go. One thing I've noticed with this Polo compared to the previous ones is that whereas with the previous cars you could drive out of the garage and carry on up the slope, the new one has a longer front overhang with small chin spoiler. Unless you back up at walking pace or slower until the front wheels are in the gutter and then move away again (by now completely on the slope and having to start from almost stationary) the wheels bounce down into the gutter and the chin-spoiler hits the ground with a really loud crunch. This never happened with the previous cars, and I suspect this is why my Mum has got into the habit of stopping dead before moving away. It struck me when thinking about this latter issue that maybe putting some blocks into the gutter where the wheels go to stop the car dipping may be a solution - the garage is narrow enough that you have to take the same line in every time, and the gutter has a grating in it so the water would drain underneath.

Still wonder whether the clutch area is smaller in these cars, mind you, but just have to work around it. Thanks again!

0 0 0

9. Re: Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition with 37k miles on the clock for my wife 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with you about that spoiler! At first we were catching it when parking in car parks that have a perimeter kerb. We allow for it now. The max torque output is about 15% less on the 1.2 versus the 1.4 but at 3,000 rpm instead of the 3,800rpm in the larger engine.

All of these issues will mean that your mother spends longer in the new car with the clutch pedal depressed than she did in its predecessor, hence the increased rate of wear. I believe the clutch friction disc diameter is 200mm in the 1.2 and the 1.4 petrol engined cars so the clutch area is the same. The diesel engined 1.2 and 1.6 have larger discs at 228mm dia.

Why not try blocks in the gutter to see if she manages better with them. I think I would.

0 0 0

10. Re: Just bought a 2013 VW Polo Match Edition with 37k miles on the clock for my wife 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info re clutch & relative torque profiles - I've not got round to hunting that out - but it does make sense. Blocks in the gutter sounds like the way to go then!

best, Robin.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast