Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian9 View Post
    Why should it teach you a lesson, he's the <REMOVED> with no lights, you have punch his out

This is what i just don't get....if they're going about with no lights especially at night how the hell is it the drivers fault
    Trouble is, the chances are the cyclist's malfunctioning rear light will get smashed in any impact and he and all his family and mates will swear blind before the judge that it was perfect before you hit it. The weight of society will be against you because you are protected by a ton of metal and the cyclist valiantly set out without such protection. It's a no-win for the motorist.

At the other extreme, has anyone been dazzled by those extra-bright flashing front lights that some cyclists use? You certainly see them when they are heading towards you, but they reduce your night vision so that you don't see anything else. The one that blitzed last week me had two of the things fitted! It's lucky there wasn't an unlit cyclist on my side of the road...

Yet another law/code/expectation that some cyclists blatantly flout: don't dazzle other road users.
    12-plate Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 TFSi S-tronic Sportback in Ice Silver with DVD Sat Nav, Bose sound system, xenon headlights, Bluetooth, voice control, heated full leather seats, full electric driver's seat adjustment, privacy glass, heated auto dimming power-folding mirrors, titanium grey Rotor-style alloys, auto lights & wipers, and tyre pressure monitoring.
    0 1 0

2. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    2nd and last time of asking - return the thread back on topic or it gets locked.

1 1 0

3. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So......back to the OP's original question.

The clear animosity shown in this thread may well have put you off, especially the fact that all cyclists are tarred with the same brush. And that infractions by car drivers are ignored by those who dazzle with HIDs, exceed the speed limit and tune cars for more power (when they can already double the speed limit).

But don't be discouraged. In my experience these types are in the minority. Give it a go, obey the laws, be courteous and you'll be fine. And don't take any sh*t from bigots.

Oh.....by the way....I saw a car blatantly dazzling me last night but didn't bother to tell the Internet about it. Oh, oops. Too late. ;-)
    0 2 0

4. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexGonzo View Post
    So......back to the OP's original question.

The clear animosity shown in this thread may well have put you off, especially the fact that all cyclists are tarred with the same brush. And that infractions by car drivers are ignored by those who dazzle with HIDs, exceed the speed limit and tune cars for more power (when they can already double the speed limit).

But don't be discouraged. In my experience these types are in the minority. Give it a go, obey the laws, be courteous and you'll be fine. And don't take any sh*t from bigots.

Oh.....by the way....I saw a car blatantly dazzling me last night but didn't bother to tell the Internet about it. Oh, oops. Too late. ;-)
    LOl - I asked for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian9 View Post
    Do you go on roads, if you do how scary do you find it, I'm trying to get into it again but just don't have the confidence for roads. I've got a good mountain bike but thought about maybe getting a decentish road bike as it would/should be easier rolling and to use. It's one thing being in a car or motorbike (which I've also got but a twist of the throttle and I'm gone) but on the roads with a pushbike scares the pants off me
    Yes Ian9, another thing you have to beware of when cycling at night is dazzle by motor vehicle headlights. I have to say that I have been dazzled many times by car drivers but only once by a cyclist!
    12-plate Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 TFSi S-tronic Sportback in Ice Silver with DVD Sat Nav, Bose sound system, xenon headlights, Bluetooth, voice control, heated full leather seats, full electric driver's seat adjustment, privacy glass, heated auto dimming power-folding mirrors, titanium grey Rotor-style alloys, auto lights & wipers, and tyre pressure monitoring.
    0 1 0

5. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 2 0

6. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have recently started to cycle more, part of my effort to look more like a runner bean and less like a tomato!! :-)
    I live in a rural area and tend to stick to minor roads & country lanes, generally I have not experienced any major problems.
    I think that as long as you wear something bright and try to stay over to the curb as much as possible, passing motorists tend to ignore you!
    0 0 0

7. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    On my way to work last week I watched as a cyclist nearly got pulled off his bike by the road draught of a passing lorry, I would have felt for him if it hadn't been for the fact that the pavement on both sides of that section of the ring road have had huge sums spent turning them into cycle paths. I saw a Deliveroo cyclist riding along the pavement Friday night in the dark with no lights causing pedestrians to scatter. What made it worse was that on the other side of the road is the new cyclist superhighway they have just spent millions building.....
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    A piece of tarmac is arguing with a stone in a bar ."I'm the hardest!." says the tarmac, "All the roads in the country are made from me bitch!." "I'm the hardest" says the stone, "Every mountain in the world is made from me!" 2 minutes later, a piece of a bicycle lane strolls in, orders a whiskey and silently sits down in the corner. A hush falls over the bar. Sensing some hostility, the barman tries to keep the peace. "Hey guys, whose the hardest?" "We're hard, but that guy's a cycle path."
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...
    0 1 0

9. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    says the tarmac, "All the roads in the country are made from me bitch!

Shouldn't that read "All the roads in the country are made from me, pitch!"

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567