Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hex69 View Post
    Technically it say you should, not you must, however as you say give other road users plenty of room.

As usual it's the 1% of cyclists and drivers who act in a way that annoys others and causes conflict.

That guy cycling the wrong way along a one way street deserves everything coming to him (excuse the pun ).
    Agreed! And I didn't mention the BMW driver who regularly drives the wrong way along that same one-way street as a short-cut!
    12-plate Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 TFSi S-tronic Sportback in Ice Silver with DVD Sat Nav, Bose sound system, xenon headlights, Bluetooth, voice control, heated full leather seats, full electric driver's seat adjustment, privacy glass, heated auto dimming power-folding mirrors, titanium grey Rotor-style alloys, auto lights & wipers, and tyre pressure monitoring.
    0 2 0

2. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    unfortunatly there are the bad eggs that spoil it for everyone, the cyclists that think the highway code is not for them, but there are these sorts of people in all walks.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...
    0 0 0

3. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    unfortunatly there are the bad eggs that spoil it for everyone, the cyclists that think the highway code is not for them, but there are these sorts of people in all walks.
    Yes! and the worst sort are those who insist on imposing rules based on the capabilities of 1950's vehicles. Only 70 mph national speed limit in this day and age! I'd like to see the accident statistics for the German Autobahns that have no speed limits! Or am I going a bit off topic here?
    12-plate Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 TFSi S-tronic Sportback in Ice Silver with DVD Sat Nav, Bose sound system, xenon headlights, Bluetooth, voice control, heated full leather seats, full electric driver's seat adjustment, privacy glass, heated auto dimming power-folding mirrors, titanium grey Rotor-style alloys, auto lights & wipers, and tyre pressure monitoring.
    0 1 0

4. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i totally agree. if i was in charge then there would be bits of motorway with no limits. i would also do away with traffic lights on roundabouts. its one or the other, a traffic light controlled junctiom OR a roundabout, it can't be both. unlesss you are a cyclist of course.. then it can
    0 0 0

5. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1tchy View Post
    I don't and wouldn't use the roads. Far too dangerous and cyclists seem to think that because they are there, two or three abreast, with no helmets on doing 5mph they are in the right on a 60mph road. NOPE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's the minority, unfortunately, who spoil it for the rest of us. A little like the minority who drive their sporty cars/motorbikes too fast for the road conditions........ On a related note, cars shouldn't park at the side of the road where they're in the way of cyclists, even though they're right and it's legal.

Seriously, all of the above plus.....

If you go out with others, don't doggedly stick to riding two (or more) abreast when a car is approaching from behind. Club cyclists arrogantly do this "as it's their right" but I find it just winds other motorists up (see above ). They're much more friendly if they see you trying to help them. I hate riding in large groups (normally only 3 of us) as someone in that group will p*ss of motorists for all of us. Also a small wave if someone's been stuck behind you for more than a few seconds goes down well. Spread a little love and togetherness.

If you're into tech, consider a small helmet cam. I haven't got one but have considered it at times as you'll have a record of the ride and anything which might happen. You can also make any abusive behaviour available to the police and the world at large. A friend of mine wears one and went over someone's oncoming bonnet when they were overtaking a parked car whilst on the phone. The footage secured a conviction and a sensible compensation sum in spite of the unfounded claim that the cyclist was "all over the road".

I also avoid A roads as much as possible and will not ride in towns during the rush hour. I tried it in London once......never again!

Until my knee op last week I was averaging about 120 miles per week and rarely had an issue riding out in the countryside, which is still pretty well populated and busy in South Essex. It really is not as bad as you might think if you're sensible. Yes there's always the risk of the nutter who has a negative perception of cyclists trying something stupid but you can minimise them.

And finally....there's the rules. (For those whose lack of sense of humour means that they can't tell, it's very toungue-in-cheek!). I've always thought that it would be fun writing something similar for a car or motorcycle forum....

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
    1 1 0

6. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    back when i was a teenager, i regularly rode from where i lived in great horwood to buckingham. i had a car spotlight on my handlebars and a motorbike battery in an ammo pouch, with a flick switch. that used to stop the drivers ahead that couldn't see me, and the ones that refused to dip their lights for a pushbike.
    0 1 0

7. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I just went around the block here twice in a car for testing and both times I saw a different cyclist terrified for his life. The reason they were terrified is they were both riding down the middle of a one way street in the wrong direction. Motorists will never begin to treat cyclists in a respectful manner until they see them obeying the laws of the road.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    same goes for cyclist though, go out for a ride and see how many cars come flying past as lose as they can get , on their mobile phone, fag in hand and 17 year old in the car as well (thats illegal, to smoke with a minor in the car, or will be soon), eating a big macand towing a trailer with no lights thats over the max towing weight of the car...
    0 1 0

9. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    At least in THEORY something can be done about that behaviour, if they get caught but then again the only motoring crime of any significance is speeding because they can post you a nice little earner of a fine for that.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 2 0

10. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    but speed kills. apparently. although in germany very few people die on autobahns, so maybe its only in the uk.
    0 1 0

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast