1. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    every right to use the road and the full width of the carriageway. a car should overtake on the other side of the road, so its irrelevant how many abreast you ride.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...
    0 0 0

2. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1tchy View Post
    I don't and wouldn't use the roads. Far too dangerous and cyclists seem to think that because they are there, two or three abreast, with no helmets on doing 5mph they are in the right on a 60mph road. NOPE!
    Too right! They even do that on roads that have a cycle track alongside! Why' for heaven's sake? Get on the cycle track!
    Last edited by Kar Krazy; 19-10-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: ungarbled my Manglish
    12-plate Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 TFSi S-tronic Sportback in Ice Silver with DVD Sat Nav, Bose sound system, xenon headlights, Bluetooth, voice control, heated full leather seats, full electric driver's seat adjustment, privacy glass, heated auto dimming power-folding mirrors, titanium grey Rotor-style alloys, auto lights & wipers, and tyre pressure monitoring.
    0 1 0

3. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    every right to use the road and the full width of the carriageway. a car should overtake on the other side of the road, so its irrelevant how many abreast you ride.
    The Highway Code says to cyclists "Ride in single file on narrow roads."
    12-plate Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 TFSi S-tronic Sportback in Ice Silver with DVD Sat Nav, Bose sound system, xenon headlights, Bluetooth, voice control, heated full leather seats, full electric driver's seat adjustment, privacy glass, heated auto dimming power-folding mirrors, titanium grey Rotor-style alloys, auto lights & wipers, and tyre pressure monitoring.
    0 0 0

4. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    of course, on a narrow road. car should still slow right down and give plenty of room.
    0 0 0

5. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kar Krazy View Post
    The Highway Code says to cyclists "Ride in single file on narrow roads."
    Actually it doesn't.

It does say, "Rule 163: Give vulnerable road users at least as much space as you would a car"

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Nothing to see here, move along..
    1 1 0

6. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    As we all know road safety is the most important thing in the world hence its the only 'crime' British police enforce but what is safe about 5mph in the middle of a high speed road or dual carriageway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk
    0 0 0

7. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    just as unsafe as a horse, tractor, very slow lorry, plane, but its all down to the driver of the car. if you are going too fast to see that far ahead then you are going to fast, simple as that. theres nothing safe about it, and if there is a cycleway then of course that should be used, but cycling is all too often made dangerous by drivers that are in too much of a hurry to give a t055 about anyone else.
    0 1 0

8. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1tchy View Post
    As we all know road safety is the most important thing in the world hence its the only 'crime' British police enforce but what is safe about 5mph in the middle of a high speed road or dual carriageway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Read this piece, it might make you think why they are in the middle of the road.

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/c...he-road-_62617

Speaking as a car driver and a cyclist, we all have to learn to share the road.

1 3 0

9. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hex69 View Post
    Actually it doesn't.

It does say, "Rule 163: Give vulnerable road users at least as much space as you would a car"

The Highway Code says lots of things: you may be right about the amount of space - but the last time I read it, it definitely said riding two abreast was a no-no on narrow roads. They do make amendments from time to time, and good old Google showed me Cycle Weekly where it says "Rule 66 of the Highway Code states: never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends" So even the cyclists admit it!
    It's here: Surrey Police go after inconsiderate cyclists - Cycling Weekly

When I was 15 I was hit by a car whilst cycling on the road. That gave me a healthy respect for anyone on two wheels, so always I give them loads of room and wait for clear, straight sections of road before overtaking them. But some of them take "I've every right" a bit too far. As a pedestrian, I once narrowly avoided being knocked down by an unlit cyclist on the footpath in Sainsbury's car park. The there's the guy I see every morning cycling unlit the wrong way along a one-way street where I park.
    0 2 0

10. Re: Any cyclists here 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kar Krazy View Post
    The Highway Code says lots of things: you may be right about the amount of space - but the last time I read it, it definitely said riding two abreast was a no-no on narrow roads. They do make amendments from time to time, and good old Google showed me Cycle Weekly where it says "Rule 66 of the Highway Code states: never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends" So even the cyclists admit it!
    It's here: Surrey Police go after inconsiderate cyclists - Cycling Weekly

When I was 15 I was hit by a car whilst cycling on the road. That gave me a healthy respect for anyone on two wheels, so always I give them loads of room and wait for clear, straight sections of road before overtaking them. But some of them take "I've every right" a bit too far. As a pedestrian, I once narrowly avoided being knocked down by an unlit cyclist on the footpath in Sainsbury's car park. The there's the guy I see every morning cycling unlit the wrong way along a one-way street where I park.
    Technically it says you should, not you must, however as you say give other road users plenty of room.

As usual it's the 1% of cyclists and drivers who act in a way that annoys others and causes conflict.

That guy cycling the wrong way along a one way street deserves everything coming to him (excuse the pun ).

0 1 0

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast