1. Re: Affected EA189 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Will this end "Europe's love affair with diesel"? - Emissions is a political issue, performance v MPG is what most drivers care about. I doubt 2.0TDI owners are motivated by environmental factors - there's the Nissan Leaf for that. Unless the cost of diesel goes up massively, or the cost of petrol goes down massively, or there is a big diesel tax penalty, the diesel will always be cheaper to run and people will keep buying them. In america, petrol is so cheap that there is little need for a diesel (unless you like them, which TBF looking at some of the great diesel cars available - Audi BiTDI, BMW tri-turbo - I can understand); unless the UK changes comparative fuel prices to mimic that, a petrol car is still not a viable alternative for those who currently feel they need a diesel (which seems to be most of the population looking at cars on the road).

I, like most have been converted to diesel for 'everyday' driving after coming from a long list of petrol cars - IMO today, petrol is great for performance vehicles but for a 'normal' car, the diesel engine characteristic seems to suit better. Financial penalties for having diesel over a petrol would be the only thing that would make me go back. I imagine most current diesel drivers feel the same.
    2012 Glacier White A7 S Line - S Tronic Quattro 245PS. Tech Pack, HUD, MMI/Nav Plus with 7" HD Display and MMI Touch, Jukebox, Bose, Heated Front Seats, 4 Zone Climate Control, Piano Black Trim, Ambient Int. Lighting

0 3 0

2. Re: Affected EA189 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fest0r View Post
    You could be right… maybe naughty mode kicked in on his rolling road before the remap? Did you notice a big difference on the road? I wonder how much of the remap was a real world gain?

It could be quite a headache for all the places offering free remaps after servicing etc.
    I did notice a big difference in performance. When the remap was installed. I do wonder if the remap changed the trick programme parameters...

1 0 0

3. Re: Affected EA189 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm not sure why you're trying to fight a fight that neither exists nor needs to exist but as it's quite clear you're having a dig at me I'll bite; I stated my opinion. I didn't say you weren't allowed to call it a fix. This isn't an dystopian novel, it's an online forum.

I suspect it is because NOx has absolutely nothing to do with CO2 on which VED is calculated.
    I must have misunderstood your post: Ouch - VW/Audi in the US of A - Page 35

Nobody seems to be sure what is reduced when naughty mode kicks in. I thought the US emission test was for NOx/NO2 only. Are you sure CO2 wasn’t coincidentally lowered? It’s also not what the Gov statement alludes to.

0 1 0

4. Re: Affected EA189 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I suspect it is because NOx has absolutely nothing to do with CO2 on which VED is calculated.
    Ignoring my long standing belief that VED should cease to exist entirely, with an increased fuel tax compensating treasury revenue and therefore more fairly charging on an actual "how much you use the vehicle basis"...

I hope soon we get a government that puts the tax on the NOx/PM pollutants that are "harmful to human health in our cities", rather than the current taxation system which concentrates on the "global warming causing" CO2. After all NOx and PM are actually toxic, whereas CO2 is naturally exhaled by humans and absorbed by trees.

Diesel cars are 'killing people', says former Labour minister - BBC News

2 0 0

5. Re: Affected EA189 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Here is the official statement regarding VED: Government confirms consumers who bought vehicles in good faith will not incur additional tax costs - News stories - GOV.UK

This part is quite vague, but might point to deal?

The government expects VW to support owners of these vehicles already purchased in the UK and we are playing our part by ensuring no one will end up with higher tax costs as a result of this scandal.

0 0 0

6. Re: Affected EA189 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fest0r View Post
    I must have misunderstood your post: Ouch - VW/Audi in the US of A - Page 35
    "Why is this being called a fix?" isn't quite the same as disallowing anyone to call it a fix. It was a question, not a statement.

Nobody seems to be sure what is reduced when naughty mode kicks in. I thought the US emission test was for NOx/NO2 only. Are you sure CO2 wasn’t coincidentally lowered? It’s also not what the Gov statement alludes to.
    Bold is my addition and the crux of this entire debacle, yet still we all debate the subject(!)

If the government have said that it won't impact on VED one would assume they have factual information that it absolutely has not lowered CO2 or, like us, they're just ploughing on ahead regardless of any facts.

Euro 5/6 test for NOx, CO, hydrocarbons and soot. Reducing those can reduce CO2 which in turn would end up reducing VED. I think you're correct in that the US test only looks for NOx.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

1 0 0

7. Affected EA189 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westyfield2 View Post
    Ignoring my long standing belief that VED should cease to exist entirely, with an increased fuel tax compensating treasury revenue and therefore more fairly charging on an actual "how much you use the vehicle basis"...

I hope soon we get a government that puts the tax on the NOx/PM pollutants that are "harmful to human health in ourcities", rather than the current taxation system which concentrates on the "global warming causing" CO2. After all NOx and PM are actually toxic, whereas CO2 is naturally exhaled by humans and absorbed by trees.

Diesel cars are 'killing people', says former Labour minister - BBC News
    Nearly 60% of the cost of a litre of fuel belongs to the treasury already. One of the biggest reasons diesels appear to be so popular (and a mainly European love affair) is because of the way they were incentivised financially.

I'd be interested to see (on another thread perhaps) some figures to compare the NO2 output between European diesel cars and, I dunno, ships?

As of 2014 diesels accounted for 53% of vehicles owned in Europe and whilst I agree they're probably an endangered species (catalysed by the current 'scandal'), I don't agree that we should be trying to retrospectively penalise those who took advantage of the financial incentive of owning one.

0 0 0

8. Re: Affected EA189 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    We might get more info soon. Apart from VW chiefs being grilled next week the Transport Secretary will be going in front of the select committee too.

Next meeting(s)
    12 October 2015 4:30 PM
    Volkswagen Group emissions violations

Witness(es): Paul Willis, Managing Director, Volkswagen Group UK Mike Hawes, Chief Executive, SMMT Rt Hon Patrick McLoughlin MP, Secretary of State, Department for Transport Paul Higgs, Chief Executive, Vehicle Certification Agency

0 0 0

9. Re: Affected EA189 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My theory is that the re-map will massively up the AdBlue used and affected owners will get free AdBlue top ups.

No loss of performance and a relatively minuscule cost per vehicle.
    A6 Bi Turbo (320PS) Black Edition, Techno pack, Matrix lights, heavy right shoe. Sept 2015.

0 0 0

10. Re: Affected EA189 engine 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar Shaker View Post
    My theory is that the re-map will massively up the AdBlue used and affected owners will get free AdBlue top ups.

No loss of performance and a relatively minuscule cost per vehicle.
    Your theory is only partial, as my car has the EA189 engine and no Adblue...
    63 reg Ibis White A6 2.0 TDI SE Multitronic, Tech pack, folding mirrors, rear view camera, heated seats.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast