Notices

User Tag List

Thread: In with the new. Can't shift the old.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. In with the new. Can't shift the old. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After 6 months waiting, my A6 Avant SE Ultra finally gets delivered today. Very exciting. On the downside I cant seem to sell my A4 Avant. Not a a single call about it. I wonder if it is due to the emissions scandal? It is one of the cars affected I have discovered today.

0 1 0

2. Re: In with the new. Can't shift the old. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shinycarot View Post
    After 6 months waiting, my A6 Avant SE Ultra finally gets delivered today. Very exciting. On the downside I cant seem to sell my A4 Avant. Not a a single call about it. I wonder if it is due to the emissions scandal? It is one of the cars affected I have discovered today.
    Have you checked your price? IE is it overpriced?

0 1 0

3. Re: In with the new. Can't shift the old. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, it won't be the emissions scandal. The market is awash with used cars at the moment, as lots of people just got their 65 reg cars... just like you did.

Why did you not trade it in? I would never have got what my dealer offered me for my 55 plate A6 and even if I did, did I really want the hassle?
    A6 Bi Turbo (320PS) Black Edition, Techno pack, Matrix lights, heavy right shoe. Sept 2015.

0 0 0

4. Re: In with the new. Can't shift the old. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I would never trade a car in if I had the opportunity to sell it privately.

A dealer will always want to make £2-3k on your car. If they offer you a price that is higher and nearer market price, then you are not getting the best price you can on the one you are buying. If there is an extra few thousand pounds discount possible on the car you are buying, they will often move this benefit to the trade in price to try and make you think you're getting a good deal.

It's all smoke and mirrors and they will shuffle the numbers about any way they can to make you think you're getting a cracking deal.

But, you can't beat negotiating an absolute rock bottom price for the car you're buying, using all the tools now available to do so, and then sell your own car privately.
    Q7, S-line, Graphite Grey, full leather, 21 inch titanium wheels

0 4 0

5. Re: In with the new. Can't shift the old. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    apart from the ease of driving to a dealer in one car and driving off in another, just sign on the dotted line, goodbye old car hello new. no advertising, no idiots calling you offering to buy it for cash in the middle of the night , but half what you want, no scammers from companies calling up asking for a 70 quid fee to sell it for you, none of that, just ease. sometimes thats worth that extra grand you might get, and of course if the old car has some faults, a private buyer will find them and give you grief, but you don't need to tell a trader, just turn the engine off and roll in so he doesn't hear the rattle, heck, he probably won't even test drive it to know how many warning lights are on or even see the cords poking out of the tyres..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 5 0

6. Re: In with the new. Can't shift the old. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Totally agree.

My 911 was mint and had 50% of typical mileage. It should have been worth £30k (looking at averages on PH and ignoring the extras/condition). After a year of spending hundreds on advertising, having all the calls that Zollaf lists and turning away all the test pilots that turned up in slammed hot hatches, a mate eventually offered me just above what I had been offered as a trade in. I ripped his arm off.

If you are selling a used car, there will always be a private seller whose car isn't as good as yours but who needs to sell his more than you. That is the bloke whose price you are competing against.

We buy any car offered me £3k, PH indicated £4.5k and my dealer offered me £4.2k.

Oh, and 21% off the new car is what I call rock bottom price.
    A6 Bi Turbo (320PS) Black Edition, Techno pack, Matrix lights, heavy right shoe. Sept 2015.

0 2 0

7. Re: In with the new. Can't shift the old. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    As temps drop quattro's tend to shift quicker, apart from that most peeps are saving up for Crimbo

When selling a car a couple of years back I found that autotrader was a complete waste of time.
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 3 0

8. Re: In with the new. Can't shift the old. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i think ebay is the way to go these days . autotrager and gumtree are far too complicated compared with ebay...
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

9. Re: In with the new. Can't shift the old. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Dealer offered me £3k, PH indicated £4.5k and my dealer offered me £4.2k.

Oh, and 21% off the new car is what I call rock bottom price.

I agree if you're trading cars in at that price. I don't let mine get past 3 years old, so their value is between 15 and 18k when I'm ready to swap. That's when the difference of £3k between trade in and private makes up for the hassle. A £30k Porsche requires more patience, as you need them to have cash or sort their own finance.

I've not had too many stupid calls when selling at that price. The occasional trader offering me pretty much the same as the dealer did, but other than that it's easy to sort those out that are serious or not in a two minute call. Yes, you have to be firm and not get drawn into stupid haggling conversations. I don't find that difficult to do though. And 3k this year is paying for 9 nights in New York for Christmas.......I'd rather I was going on holiday than my Audi dealer going with my money!
    Q7, S-line, Graphite Grey, full leather, 21 inch titanium wheels

0 2 0

10. Re: In with the new. Can't shift the old. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    A car will always sell at the right price. Sellers tend to have unrealistic expectations on the value of their cars.

I have always sold through autotrader and you just have to keep dropping the price until it finds a market value.

I listed my A4 for £7,500, sold it for £6,300. WBAC offered £5,500.
    Audi A6 (C7) 3.0 TDI S Line Quattro 245 Daytona Grey Sep 2013 -
    Audi A4 (B8) 2.0 TDI SE 143 Lava Grey 2008 - 2013

0 2 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast