1. Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    OK so it needs a session on the fault code reader to find out what the problem is but I just wonder what the culprit could be, my car is a diesel and it occasionally goes to limp home accompanied by the heater coil warning light when under full load, restarts ok with no warning light and runs normally until I need full power which could be the same day or a few days later, just depends on my driving style as I can drive all day and no limp home event.

0 1 0

2. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    the usuall culprit is a clogged vnt mechanism within the turbo. either remove and strip the turbo in order to clean it or fit a new one. there are products you spray into the turbo to remove the built up carbon but these are usually only a temporary solution. a good italian test drive can also help, gets them hot and moving. being a taxi i would imagine you drive for economy..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

3. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Which engine type code, BKP?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

4. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Engine code is CBD if I have deciphered it correctly, yeah, I suppose lack of regular high speed thrashing won't help as I am on autopilot around town mostly returning an average of 40mpg. It's going for a session on the code reader later in the week when he gets his laptop back.

0 1 0

5. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taxi3528 View Post
    Engine code is CBD if I have deciphered it correctly, yeah, I suppose lack of regular high speed thrashing won't help as I am on autopilot around town mostly returning an average of 40mpg. It's going for a session on the code reader later in the week when he gets his laptop back.
    Engine will be a CBDA, CBDB or CBDC common rail as all 'C' engine codes are 4 letters. I'm guessing yours is MY2009 / 2010??

I believe these have a DPF which is not good for town driving either. Needs a good run once a week with a decent amount of right foot!

0 1 0

6. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I would expect a fault code read to show an underboost problem and this is nearly always due to a failed turbo actuator. There is a repair kit for this from VW (most TPS depots keep three on the shelf) and these costs £146.18. If you do get this code, remove the rubber pipe to the actuator from its connection at the valve and suck on it, you should not be able to draw air through. The catch is that to fit it is very fiddly and it must be set up on the computer display so its output voltages can be observed. We have had to set quite a few up for other garages.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 2 0

7. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It was plugged in this morning and yes indeed it was the turbo boost actuator, seemingly there is a diaphragm inside which goes goes but I will be entrusting the work to someone else as I have lost interest in diy repairs since engines were fitted east and west. Long live the Rover v8 engines.

0 2 0

8. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Bring back push rods, rocker arms, points and carbs!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 3 0

9. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    But not crank handles!!
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 3 0

10. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Bring back push rods, rocker arms, points and carbs!
    I'll second that. I can dismantle my MG into its component parts with a set of AF spanners and a couple of other tools I've got in my garage.

Then again, I suppose it only needs a small plastic card to do the same with a Passat.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 3 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast