1. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just an update. Got the repair kit supplied and fitted by Midland vw. £272 all in and took them just over 2 hours to complete.
    Car running with more power now.
    Thanks for the help.

0 0 0

2. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I would expect a fault code read to show an underboost problem and this is nearly always due to a failed turbo actuator. There is a repair kit for this from VW (most TPS depots keep three on the shelf) and these costs £146.18. If you do get this code, remove the rubber pipe to the actuator from its connection at the valve and suck on it, you should not be able to draw air through. The catch is that to fit it is very fiddly and it must be set up on the computer display so its output voltages can be observed. We have had to set quite a few up for other garages.

Hi All,
    Apologies if I am resurrecting an old thread here but I am having, what appears to be, this same issue and I was looking for some advice.

My car is a 2009 Passat with a 2.0 tdi, engine code CBD. Car has been going into limp mode on several occasions lately and on reading codes via Vagcom I am getting two codes which I think may be separate issues. The first is EGR system p0401 insufficient flow, I haven't looked into this yet. The second is boost pressure regulation p0299- control range not reached. Having followed the advice in this thread. I have removed the rubber pipe from the actuator as suggested above and can draw air through while sucking gently and can blow air through while blowing gently. That suggested to me that this was the issue but my question is can I (or should I!) repair this myself by getting the kit from my local Volkswagen dealer, part number 03L 198 716A, and adjusting the length of the threaded adjustment screw on the actuator to match the length pre repairs, using a vernier calipers? I understand that it would normally be set using the relevant equipment by main dealer or equivalent but im just wondering what are the likely repercussions to doing it this way. I have read elsewhere that it has been done successfully this way and just wanted some educated opinions before going down this road? Thanks in advance for any comments.

0 0 0

3. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I had exactly the same issue as you including same codes.

P0299 - I had supplied and fitted by a VW indie. Cost 270ish I think. They were saying it required a specific set up. As I'm not that good with mechanics I let them do it.

P0401 - I changed my egr valve and still had the fault. Turned out that the silver metal pipe leading into the egr was blocked. Had that cleaned and seems to be working fine now.

Haven't had the code come up since and car running fine since I done both.

If you confident in doing it then have a go.

1 1 0

4. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was just about to open my own thread about this when I spotted the thread.
    I've had the exact same issue, could go days without it happening and then out of the blue limp home mode.
    Got it back with the code that it is underboosting and so I've had the solenoid replaced and the turbo cleaned (don't it was at all...).
    After the solenoid it lasted maybe 1 day of normal driving and it was back to the usual.
    So I'm going to test the air in the actuator and hopefully get it confirmed.

0 0 0

5. Re: Limp Home Mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    More than likely the actuator. I remember the indie saying it was a very common fault.

0 0 0

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234