1. Black smoke - remap / dpf new MOT law 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have a question around smoke, remaps, dpfs and the new MOT laws.

I had my car remapped a month ago, but since then - unrelated to the remap, I have had some dfp problems.
    This has led to the Garage I bought the car from replacing the dpf under warranty - however since having the car back, I notice that when I accelerate hard in low RPM - below 2000 if the car cannot pull - i.e its going up a hill and i should change up, I get a fair bit of black smoke out the back.
    My worry is - given a dpf replacement is an expensive business - could the garage have just hollowed it out and how would I know? Not that im wishing to distrust them, but I dont understand why it would smoke so much if I have a new dpf?
    Could the remap cause this? My understanding of black smoke is unburnt fuel which I "thought" the dpf would filter out anyway?

Ordinarily I wouldnt be quite so concerned, but with the new MOT laws, it worries me that in 10 months time, im going to have a problem if the tester sees smoke coming out the back.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have vagcom so I can look at the values - but not sure what I would expect to see if the dpf has been "cut out" etc..?

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Black smoke - remap / dpf new MOT law 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    If I were you I'd check the replacement DPF to see if it looks new or otherwise tampered with, if you wipe your finger inside the tail pipe does it come out sooty black? going by the new MOT testing I would expect this to fail at next test. Did it smoke like this prior to the remap?

0 0 0

3. Re: Black smoke - remap / dpf new MOT law 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thats the trouble, im not sure to be honest - I bought the car and had it remapped the next day, then a week later it broke, so my history is very limited!
    The dpf does "look" shiny, but ive only looked in from the top between the maf and the engine so I wouldnt say im getting a great view.
    I'm assuming even though its new, I should get some values out of the measuring blocks on vagcom which I woulddnt get if it had been tampered with? I also presume that if it had been tampered with it would also have had to have an associated remap to do the dpf delete else it would be throwing faults?
    Cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: Black smoke - remap / dpf new MOT law 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Probably worth checking in measuring blocks, as you say.
    Diesel Particle Filter Emergency Regeneration - Ross-Tech Wiki
    but TBH you'd maybe be best discussing with the garage you got it from to see what they did.
    I'm thinking this is a B7 with PD engine with DPF?
    Not sure if your recent remap could be causing this, are you sure all other parameters such as torsion value, MAF, MAP, EGR etc were all ok prior to the remap, the remap could be compounding pre-existing problems, especially if it is an older higher mileage engine.

0 0 0

5. Re: Black smoke - remap / dpf new MOT law 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah i'll have a look.
    As far as the garage is concerned they told me they have put in a new dpf - so I should believe them, but im a pessimist and could conceive that rather than replace the dpf on a car which im sure their profit margin wouldnt cover a new dpf they would do what they needed to get it running - but I might be doing them a massive disservice.
    It is a B7 with the 170PD engine with dpf.
    Have changed MAF since remap - but was told this wouldnt affect the remap and I didnt ened to do anything - not sure about MAP and EGR tho - its 133k on the clock, so no baby, but also not to the moon and back mileage.
    I'll plug it into vagcom tonight and have a look.
    I'm happy with how its driving etc, just worried about the new MOT.

0 0 0

6. Re: Black smoke - remap / dpf new MOT law 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Checked measuring blocks and im no expert but they do look a bit odd...
    Engine block Group 68 showed 0% particle filter load coefficient, 0.24 particle filter carbon mass and -0.2 carbon mass learned value
    Group 73 showed 0.4l consumption since regeneration and 6km distance since regeneration, 0h since regeneration
    Group 70 showed all zeros for regeneration time, failed regenerations and sucessful regenerations

Obviously if its a new dpf then i guess it wont have needed to regenerate ever yet, but im not sure why group 73 shows 6km distance since regeneration?

Are there any other groups I should be looking at?

Thanks

0 0 0

7. Re: Black smoke - remap / dpf new MOT law 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Looking more closely im not convinced something isnt a miss....

This is a picture of the dpf which to my eyes looks like its been welded?

and a video of the car on idle - which to me looks particularly smokey.

Any thoughts from people who know?

dpf.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PAlxxLbTVHMEfv4v2

Quote Originally Posted by carbonman View Post
    Checked measuring blocks and im no expert but they do look a bit odd...
    Engine block Group 68 showed 0% particle filter load coefficient, 0.24 particle filter carbon mass and -0.2 carbon mass learned value
    Group 73 showed 0.4l consumption since regeneration and 6km distance since regeneration, 0h since regeneration
    Group 70 showed all zeros for regeneration time, failed regenerations and sucessful regenerations

Obviously if its a new dpf then i guess it wont have needed to regenerate ever yet, but im not sure why group 73 shows 6km distance since regeneration?

Are there any other groups I should be looking at?

Thanks

0 0 0

8. Re: Black smoke - remap / dpf new MOT law 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    that video looks shocking
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

9. Re: Black smoke - remap / dpf new MOT law 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Sorry bud - if that's the dpf, to my eyes it's been gutted and welded (badly). hopefully someone else with more dpf experience will come along and confirm,

0 0 0

10. Re: Black smoke - remap / dpf new MOT law 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Very smokey, why not take to a mot station and ask would it pass the emissions and have a smoke meter reading. Then you will have some ammo to go back with.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0